Friday, November 25, 2005

The lies our Mother told us...

So, I've been ill recently. No big shocker there. It's the price you pay for attempting to see if you can actually make your way through life with all your body parts intact....

All of my neices and nephews have their tonsils and adenoids or whatever the heck they're called removed automatically by a certain age and that, quite frankly, astonishes me. I still have the things I can't spell, I have my tonsils (hence my current state of illness), my appendix is in place and I have never even (so far-touch wood) broken a bone.... All of these things seem to make me part of a dying generation...

When I was at school there were very few asthmatic children. Now there are tonnes. Dust allergies, pollen allergies... Where did they all come from? And you know, I really don't mean to sound like some environmentalist on a soapbox here, I really do think its our own creation.
I'm one of these people that takes one darn good infection a year, which usually heads straight for my chest. I have to be DYING before I'll go for an anti-biotic because if I take them every time I'm ill then what do I take when I get REALLY ill???

Which brings me to the subject at hand. The little fibs passed down from generation to generation in the female line of the family. It's up there with 'drink loads of orange and you'll never get a cold' or the classic 'an apple a day keeps the doctor away' (apparantly it takes five portions these days) and other classics like 'You dont get spots anymore when you grow up' and the gem that is 'It'll all make sense when you're an adult yourself.'.... Ha ha ha...

Anyone else have any gems they got passed down to them and that they in turn can then torture their own children with? Huh? Or is this just an Irish form of torture?

I'm taking my intact though achy body back to beddie byes for a while I think...

No comments: