Friday, January 6, 2006

In defence of the Pink Heart Society


For you wearers of the Pink Heart…

Arguments for the defense: Part One.

So, are you a fan of chick-flicks? I am. From Sleepless In Seattle to You Got Mail, from Pretty Woman to Runaway Bride, from The Wedding Singer to The Wedding Date, I’m a fan of them all! And what are they if not screen versions of category romances? They may not always please the film critics but they still lift plenty at the box office, they still regularly get picked up from the local video store. And yet they still don’t take the kind of ribbing category romance does. How come? Mmm?

Each of them can be taken down to similar building blocks as a good category romance. They have a hero and a heroine, some secondary characters, a strong conflict, an emotional build up and a happy ending. When it comes to the DVD’s ‘extras’ I’ve become a little obsessed. I love to hear the behind the scenes interviews from Directors and Authors about why they put together a particular scene or what their characters would and wouldn’t do. And I’m especially fascinated with the parts about deleted scenes and why they felt they did or didn’t work. It’s a good learning process, not just for film-makers, but for writers. Because it’s exactly what we have to do as writers. We need to decide why our characters would do the things they do, we need to ‘get inside their heads’ just like an actor playing the role would and we especially need to be able to see when a particular scene holds merit for the overall story or quite simply isn’t needed. It’s almost a study guide when you think about it…

Now, if I could just put it all together…

So did you have a ‘chick-flick’ that you particularly enjoyed that I haven’t listed in the Pink Heart Hall of Fame? Was there ever a romance you read that you thought would make a great film, that you could almost see playing like a film in your mind as you read? Nominations now being taken…

7 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Hurrah for the Pink Heart Society! Can I join? Pretty please? My grandad was half-Irish...

Trish said...

Oh Liz! You don't have to be Irish to be in the Pink Heart Society! Genuine love of series is all it takes and with your credentials I'd say you're an honourary member!

Shall I e-mail you your little man for your site?

Fiona Harper said...

Trish, you can count me a member of the pink heart society!

I have a nomination for your pink heart film list: Serendipity. Love it, love it, love it.

I also obsessively listen to director's/writer's commentaries and watch deleted scenes on DVDs. It's all about story-teliing, just a different medium. Nora Ephron's commentary for "You've Got Mail" is fab as she talks all about the story structure and things like that.

Trish said...

Welcome Fi! Glad to have ya... and a little dancing chappie is on his way!!!

And I'll collect the nominations for the Hall Of Fame and give them a polish for next week.... Promise...

Lol... Lovin this!!! So good not be all on my ownsome....

Liz Fielding said...

Can I add While You Were Sleeping, Trish? And It Happened One Night -- and oldy but a goody.

Trish said...

Liz - While You Were Sleeping is one of my favs too! I had it on video and ad to replace it on DVD cos the video wore out...
Don't know the other one so will now have to visit Amazon to see if I can get a copy....

Donna Alward said...

Fiona, you beat me to it. I love Serendipity.

How about Wimbledon? I loved it because it started out from a male POV.

And your bouncy heart is up at my blog. :-)