Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Pink Heart Shippers



Yes, we’re revisiting the Shippers… ‘Cos I’ve had a wee bit more time to think about this and it really is SO close to category romance…

We’ve already talked about what a ‘Shipper’ is and how it works. But what we can maybe go into a little more detail about is the number of subjects and therefore ‘categories’ that it falls into…

Shippers follow many different shows. They quite often take varying different characters as couples from those shows. Whichever couple they feel should ultimately be together in the end. But what I maybe didn’t mention is that the writers then split their stories down into categories somewhat like publishers do. There are adventure categories that take up on the shows plot lines, there are mysteries, paranormals, erotic, in fact for practically every genre of category romance there is on the marketplace there is a Shipper category to match! Which to me, means that they are indeed a strong validation that category/short contemporary romance is very much alive and kicking… ‘Cos imitation is one of the greatest forms of a compliment, right?

Now yes, it has to be said that there is Shipper work out there that isn’t all that good. We could stand and quite honestly say that there is the very occasional piece of work out there that we, as readers, may think the same thing of in book form. But that’s all personal opinion. And what we must keep in mind is that the majority of Shippers are amateurs, writing something because they enjoy it and because they enjoy the show they write about. I happen to think that the main thing is that they DO write, and that people READ what they write. And that’s what really matters at the end of the day. So I for one am grateful for their existence and for their dedication.

So, if you find yourself with nothing to do for a little while, spend some time and Google a few of your favorite TV Shows and see if any of the fan sites have FANFIC categories on their sites. Then see if you can find any Shippers… You’ll see what I mean. They like a good romance as much as the rest of us!!!

3 comments:

Donna Alward said...

I have read fanfic that's really bad. I mean the writing is horrible. But I've also read others that are amazing. One in particular was several chapters long and I just kept waiting for her to post the next chapter, it was so good.

The thing I like is fic challenges. Not necessarily a fidelity to certain "ships" but for instance I participate on one called "Shag the Cag". Different challenges are posted...for instance the two I did most recently were "getting caught", "being watched", and "in the water".

Which also made me really wonder why it is I'm writing Tender Romance. ROTFLOL

Donna Alward said...

I should clarify that I did only 2 stories as I put "getting caught" and "being watched" together. Naughty me.

Trish said...

LOL Donna, why is it that that doesn't surprise me??? And you and I have TALKED about you using that talent... ahem... you know what I mean.... Thats one of the nicest things about the fanfic being online. When you find a good one you can read it like a series in a magazine or you can print it off and read it at your leisure... Is there a small, hand held i-pod type thing ou can read them off???