Monday, January 9, 2006

Pink Heart Society part deux...



Arguments for the defense: Part Two.

Shippers. ‘What’ I hear you cry? What on earth is a ‘Shipper’? Well, if you don’t know I shall enlighten you, ‘cos I’m one…

A Shipper is an internet term for a ‘Relation-shipper’. It’s someone who’s a fan of a TV series who picks up on a potential romantic relationship between two of the characters and forms their own interpretations of how that relationship builds. It’s huge on the Internet. For me it was ‘The X-Files’. I loved the show, can remember distinctly when it was first shown on the BBC over here and as a fan of the ‘science fiction’ genre I was hooked from the get-go. I loved the story lines but I always wanted to see something happen between Mulder and Scully. When I first tried looking for sneaky peaks of episodes before they hit my side of the world I found several sites where Mulder and Scully shippers were writing their own stories, often set ‘off screen’, with a lot of them very intricately woven into the Show’s own plots. And in the end, the Shippers got their way. (Much to the disgust of some it must be said.)

Now we have shows as diverse as ‘Without A Trace’ and ‘Battlestar Gallactica’ where the Shippers are out in force. And basically, guess what? They’re romance fans. And there’s loads of them! They take the characters they know and they build a set of conflicts on top of conflicts that already exist in the shows and they work their way through those conflicts to a happy ending. Which is a form of… category romance… isn’t it?

So, are you a Shipper too? And are you a Shipper who reads category romance? Or are you or do you know of a Shipper who hasn’t tried reading category romance?

Now accepting nominations for the Pink Heart Hall of Fame for TV Shows that attract Shippers…

Now I've been asked a bit just what the Pink Heart Society is... Its nothing official or fancy... Its just a way to show folks that you're proud to be a fan of series/catagory romance. Stand up and be counted kinda thing. In my furtive imagination I see this little guy winging his way across the Internet like a virus... winging his way sneakily onto book marks in shops and libraries... we'd be like a secret society... Masons-ish almost in that we'd all know who we are... And when someone asks what it means we can explain and spread the word! LOL. C'mon gang... don't be shy... This little chap can go on a blog, on a website... on the bottom of your e-mails...

5 comments:

Donna Alward said...

I'm a shipper! I'm a shipper! Jumps up and down excitedly, waving hand...

I'm a Galactica shipper. Mostly Kara and Lee but I've had lots of fun with all kinds of 'ships, as long as they involve Lee Adama. Hell, I've even written a fictional character for him who bears a remarkable, somewhat revised resemblance to myself.

D, Proud to be a member of your Pink Heart Society

Fiona Harper said...

I'm definitely a shipper, although I'm more the sit and wait for it to happen kind, rather than the make up my own version variety.

My shipper dreams were realised in "Gilmore Girls" when Luke and Lorelai got together, but I almost cried because I forgot to set the video and I missed the actual moment! Aaarghh! That is a shipper's worst nightmare.

mark said...

I've been waitng for Yokas and Bosco to get it on in Third Watch forever. Just when I never thought it was going to happen, Yokas is getting divorced! But now Bosco is lying half mutilated in hospital...hmm very frustrating.
I'm like Fiona, more of a sit and wait...and wait...and wait..
And yes yes yes to Luke and Lorelai!

Alison

Donna Alward said...

OK Trish you REALLY need to update your blog, babe. ;-)

Trish said...

I KNOW Donna!!! Blame the bad old time conuming waste that is writing for a living... lol...