Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Il Divo - A research expense?????

Having now seen them in concert I'm wondering if I can off-set the tickets as a research expense??? What do you think ladies???
I mean - LOOK AT THEM! They are each of them a potential hero, in the same line of thinking as the casting of hero's we've been talking about of late. So therefore that means by going to the concert I was doing RESEARCH, right??? Though flying to another concert might be stretching it a bit, huh???

There's such a close link between writing romance and romance in music. Maybe thats why so many of us will pick a particular track to play in the background while we create. From the moment these four guys stepped onto the stage last night the crowd was swept away. When they sing, even if its in Italian or Spanish or French and we English speakers don't understand all the lyrics...the emotion is there and they then matched it with visual images in the background so that for the hour or so, we were all carried away out of our everyday lives and into a world of emotion. It's what we try to do as writers.

(This pick of the Swiss chap - Urs - is especially for my friend & cp Donna Alward... down girl!)

And maybe that's part of the reason I found the concert such an emotional journey. Because for over a year now I have had particular tracks off their two albums that I have used when I need to write a particularly emotional scene. So when they sang those songs I was there in front of my keyboard again, writing those scenes, living with those characters. And I was reminded of why I love what I do.

(And this pic of French chap Sebastien is mine... he he he... All MINE)

If you want to hear the kind of thing I got to hear last night you can listen to brief snippets of their music here with your media player. My two favs for writing are 'Every Time I Look At You' and 'I Believe'... But I don't think it's necessarily the words with these guys but the emotions the music itself can stir up and that can be so important when you're writing...

It's all about the mood. It's mood music plus the right atmosphere for you to write in.(Well that's what works for me...) Whether for you, thats a completely silent room with an amazing view, or like me, the darkness of the middle of the night, with soft music and scented candles and a promise to myself that I will raise my word count. I will. Really. I have to...

So, what do you think? Can I class them as research??? Pretty Please....

9 comments:

Donna Alward said...

You KNOW my thoughts on this.

You know when I listen to certain Josh Groban songs now I'm reminded of an ms I wrote, so much so that it's like deja vu.

FWIW My fave tracks are Si Tu Me Amas and Isabel. Every Time I Look at You, Regresa Mi and Senza Catene are all featuring in my WIP - 2 are my sex songs and one is my "morning after omg what have we done" song.

And I'm SO going to Vancouver. You sure you don't wanna come?

Nicola Marsh said...

Trish,
Please don't think I'm some ignorant Aussie but I've never listened to Il Divo! How bad is that?
That said, they were a recent feature in a magazine here and I clipped furiously, thinking they're perfect hero material!
Might have to fight you for Sebastien. He's gorgeous!!!
Nic

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Trish, I saw them in Sydney a couple of weeks back and, oh yeah, EVERYTHING you said. I even mused about deductibility of my ticket, too. *g* And I'm naming my next heroine Isabelle, just so I can play that song while I'm writing.
Bron (off to find her CDs right now)

Trish said...

LOL Donna - Yes, its safe to say I know your thoughts on this... We may have chatted about it a time or two!!!

NIC! I'm astounded - Get thee out there and get educated!! Just cos youre a Sadie-sadie-married-lady doesn't mean you can't LOOK....JUST NOT AT SEB!!!!!!

BRON!!! Tell all! Did they use the sets with the arches??? Did they project all the words in different languages during Isabel? Did my Seb look as good on the big screens there as he did here??? And please please tell me he's not YOUR favourite too.....

Nicola Marsh said...

Hey Trish, I'm looking, I'm looking!
I'm one of those weird people who likes quiet when they write yet so many of you have inspiring music playing in the background.
I might try it and see how I go....
Nic

Trish said...

Oh yes Nic, you should try it...

Then again, you're hardly one of the ones that needs help with productivity... ARE YOU??? ;)

Bronwyn Jameson said...

Yes to the arches, no to the projected words -- probably because it was such a small stage, in the gorgeously intimate surrounds of an old theatre. Perfect. So, no big screens but I do admit to stealing my mum's mini-binoculars quite often. Research, y'know. ;-)
And please please tell me he's not YOUR favourite too.....
Now here's a dilemma: should I be polite, seeing as this is yr blog and I'm a guest? Or should I be honest?? Hmmm...

Trish said...

Okay Bron - small intimate theatre sounds simply inspiring... But the projections on the screens in the arches were superb! During Isabel they took words from the song and projected them in four different languages as they sang the song, having told the audience that it was a song about sorrow and loss... It was simply gorgeous!!!!

Now, I would never use the my blog advantage! BUT I would use the single girl card.... lol...

Ally said...

I'm sure you can get away with it. Definitely research material!