Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Introducing A Hero & Heroine

Thought I'd introduce you to the visual images I'm using for this new Romance Line book I'm working on...

This is my hero image - and the fact that it's in black and white while my heroine is in colour is important in my poor addled mind. I studied art appreciation and History of Art in High School and that combined with English Literature taught me a lot about symbolism and imagery. See... no matter what we may think at the time, school *does* actually teach us useul things...

My hero is dark. He has travelled all over the world in search of something he has never found and it is only now that he is home in Ireland and in the company of a childhood friend that he starts to wonder what that something he's never found might be. Now, if I can pull it off the way I want to, he should become lighter as the book progresses, should learn not to hold back so much and should hopefully find whats been missing by the end. Thats' the theory anyway.

My heroine on the other hand is an eternal optimist, or at least tries to be, regardless of what her life has thrown at her so far. She's a get on with things kind of girl, a no nonsense, outspoken, say what she thinks when she thinks it kinda girl. So the fact that her picture is in colour is important. Hopefully by the end of the story I'll be able to show them both in colour...

I've set the story on a Stud Farm, which certainly means I'm on a subject I'm sure of. But to be honest I've found that, for me, the setting is very secondary to the story. It's more of a stage backdrop. And by picking a backdrop I know in Ireland or in an Industry I know well I can add snippets that hopefully come accross as real. Its what works best in my short category work. But in my ongoing ST research has been very important and I've quite enjoyed that... When this one is finished I'll maybe come back and tell you some more about that...

No comments: