Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The pit-falls in trying to be clever

You remember this girl? She's my casting for heroine in Baby Makes Three - my current work in progress...

Well, what I might not have mentioned about her is that as the book starts she's eight and a half months pregnant with another guys baby... And this is what I get for trying to be smart... Its a cow of a book to write!!!

Now I will admit that as a single gal with no kids myself I have had to do a tonne of research on this. (Big shout out to my friends with kids!) And the more I learn the more I not only have a desire to remain cross-legged for the rest of my life, I've also discovered it's difficult to write a romantic, sensual story around it.
Now there are pluses. Hang on while I just repeat that to myself a couple of dozen times...

Okay I'm back. As I was saying, there are pluses. We get the whole glowing, gorgeous, new life coming into the world advantages. But I like to think that the majority of my work is set with real people in real situations, working their way through the same kinds of problems we all have. So that means, me being me, that I have to deal with all the minuses as well. Enter a heroine who, when she meets the man she loved as a teenager, is the size of a house with swollen ankles, mood swings and the associated difficulties of a rat's ass of an ex who has left her broke and alone. Now the latter I can deal with. The others... have caused me some strife...
(Picture me smiling bravely through gritted teeth...)
Now, because she's so far along, if I've managed to deal with the list of problem areas, it does mean I get the pay-off of a sweet little baby to add to my story. I naively thought this would mean I could up the, erm, contact between my hero and heroine. But, oh no, now I have to find a way of dealing with the shape she is sans baby, the fact that she's going to hurt like hell cos she had a difficult birth (large healthy Irish wee un doncha know)which meant stitches, and all the associated icky-ness that my research 'friends' have now given me on breast milk...

I am thinking of becoming a Librarian in my next life. That way I get to be surrounded by books without the stress.

So, the moral of this story is... don't try to be too smart... Or, buy yourself a large shovel to dig the hole you've just started to make for yourself...

Though I did set it on a Stud Farm, 'cos horses are something I can write about. I was duly told not to make them too prominant to the story. Fair enough. So here they are... You can hardly see them from the back... Though I am tempted to have the one thats looking round say 'Does my bum look big to you?'... To which my heroine could safely answer for most of this book; 'You want to compare yours and mine?'

1 comment:

Donna Alward said...

I'm not sure whether to laugh hysterically or feel horribly sorry for you!

Signed,

One of Your "friends"