Saturday, April 15, 2006

Happy Easter Weekend

Hope everyone has a lovely Easter Weekend!!!! And eats way more chocolate than I'm allowed to...

Here, Easter signals the start of the holiday season, when Co. Fermanagh comes to life. It's a very rural county, think National Park with permanent residents. So in the winter the whole place goes to sleep. Animals come in off the land, boats come off the lakes, holiday centres take the odd school group. But basically the county goes back to nature. Then from Easter onwards things start to change! Some folks may be brave enough to holiday a little earlier in the season but really, it takes it to be Easter before the temperatures raise enough to make it bearable on the water. And it was the water that brought me here from Co. Antrim. Friends of mine would do watersports for a couple of weeks each July and I tagged along one year. A year or two after that and I found myself living here. And now I can't imagine being anywhere in a city again.

So I can completely understand why people head down here for their hols. Yesterday I went to Castle Archdale, where the Flying Boats where stationed in WWII, and the place was packed. Caravans, campers and camper vans as far as you could see. And people milling everywhere. It's a temporary community of sorts. But one that people tend to come back to year after year and I think that's lovely. I miss that from my own hols as a kid...Sigh... So thanks to all this renewed buzz of activity, I know I will soon be able to write outside, that soon the grass will green up and dry out so that the horses can go out and there'll be less yard work to do... and I can look at them while I write... Bring it on...

3 comments:

JENNA said...

Are you trying to make everyone want to come to Ireland? Because it is really working. For now, I'll have to settle for traveling there in your books.

allyblake said...

You're only depressing me, Trish!

As you get warmer and greener, we here in Aus only get colder and darker. Already now that daylight savings is done it feels like the days are five hours shorter!

Stop putting such nice piccies up or I might just do myself in...

Ally

Fiona Lowe said...

Ah, Trish,
Easter, Christmas, Halloween...it all makes SO MUCH sense in the northern hemisphere! No wonder all Aussies make a trip to Ireland.

Fiona