Sunday, April 9, 2006

Introducing a Special Hero


Meet Adam Douglas, my hero from Fighting Fate. Or at least how I see him in my minds eye...

But this isn't just any old romantic hero. Adam is taking on fate and a system that has existed since time itself. And that's the beauty of working on a longer length book. Your imagination gets to wander as far as it wants to go...

Mine, apparantly, feels like travelling very far away. Yes, at the heart of the story we still have a romance. It's just what I do, y'know? And if it ain't broke... But this one goes way out of the realms of the kind of story I normally write. It's a challenge to say the least. One I may or may not prove to be up to, time will tell. But occassionally we just get a story that speaks to us. That no matter what else we work on, keeps coming back to us. It's a story that wants to be written. Who am I to deny that? Maybe it'll prove to be that ephemeral thing that is known as 'the book of your heart'...

So who is Adam Douglas? Well he's a pretty ordinary guy. The kind of guy that has always done the right thing, stood up for what he believes in, tried to live a good life. Then he finds himself in a situation that no ordinary guy ever expects to be in. And he has to fight a fight of truly epic proportions. In the name of true love.
His side of the story has to do with whether or not there is such a thing as fate and true love, the kind we all believe in when we're growing up. A love of a lifetime. Still sounds like a love story doesn't it? And it is. Except that Adam Douglas has been dead for over sixty years...

And therein lies my challenge...
Adam's story was inspired by local history. During the Second World War there were several squadrons of 'Flying Boats' on the loughs close to me in Co. Fermanagh. I found this absolutely fascinating, because until I started thinking about this book I had never known about them. And then I became intrigued by the people that worked with them during that time, during wartime, before I was born, in a place where I now live and walk every day. What made these ordinary men become hero's? And while I thought about that, Adam introduced himself to me. I guess, if you need an ordinary man who does extraordinary things then someone from that era is the perfect choice...

Can you tell how much I love this story??? I'll come back tomorrow to tell you about my heroine. A modern day single Mother, just trying to get through her days like the rest of us...

3 comments:

Julie Cohen said...

Your book sounds fab, Trish.

And my best friend Kathy Love is also in love with the model for your hero--he's the guy from Supernatural, right? She has been trying to convince me to fall in love with the guy who plays his brother.

Trish said...

Yeah Julie this is him (my lovely Jensen - who I gave to myself for Valentines Day ;)) but Kathy will have to arm wrestle me for him. I *need* him for this book. His personality is perfect... I've been a fan of the sarcastic wit and cocky self confidence this guy projects onscreen since he was in Dark Angel. And he just oozes sex onto the screen in Supernatural. Which really helped me no end when I was trying to figure out why my heroine would fall for someone so fast and hard. Jensen has all the attributes I needed. THANKYOU JENSEN....

Oh and just to prove I'm not at all sad... in one of those biorhythm celebrity love match-ups you can do on the internet I matched with this guy 98%!!!! Woo-hoo!!!

If I ever sell this book I may have to 'Do a Cusack' like your lovely brave self....

Nicola Marsh said...

Love the sound of this story, Trish!
As for the hero...phew! Hot stuff!!