Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Pulling it all together

So now having come up with the story and having cast my hero and heroine I now have the challenge ahead of me...

Write the damn book.

Now usually this is the bit I'm on familiar ground with. Since I completed my first full manuscript and sold it I have become fairly well trained in the art of producing a finished product. But, in fairness, I've always known what my boundaries were within the lines I write for and that has given me something to work within. Okay. I may push the envelope from time to time but I still know what lines not to cross...
This time there is no line. There is no security blanket for me to work within. I'm on my own. And it's scary out there!

So with that in mind I should possibly have picked a simpler plot. But hey, I just go with what the characters told me when they got here! It means I not only have to stretch my imagination loads, because some of it is in a 'fantasy' type location. I also have to do real live, involved research on the Second World War and the Flying Boat crews. (Not to mention what brought a guy in Canada into it all in the first place). I also have to have the medical research on my heroines illness to within hitting distance of being convincing and then I get to add in all the emotional aspects. Jeez.
And then there's the length issue...

I usually write anywhere between 48 to 58k and there are times when it's tough enough hitting those markers.(I'm a dialogue heavy/high page count gal) So, when it came to the idea of a longer Single Title book (absolute minimum 80k but preferably closer to 90 or - gulp - 100k) I have to admit to feeling daunted. Maybe thats part of the reason for the off-the-wall-hasn't-got-a-genre-beyond-the-fact-its-a-romance plot. And hence why the word counter thingie on the left has been adjusted and probably will be again...

Add to all this angst the fact that theres no guarantee anyone will be interested in the book when its done and you are now better educated on the fear involved... All helpful hints for self-motivation now gladly received...which translates as H-E-L-P!

2 comments:

Nicola Marsh said...

Let your imagination run free, don't worry about boundaries, fill in all the research gaps later, have a ball!
It's the beauty of writing single title...
Sure it's scary but hey, you can always blame those characters when things don't go quite according to plan!

Sharon J said...

Won't it be a bit like writing your first M&B? I realise you won't have the boundaries but the part about not knowing whether anybody will actually want it when it's finished? Good luck with it, anyway. ~Sharon J