Monday, May 22, 2006

Teasing my muse out of hiding?

So, I may have gotten off to a stonking start with Anticipation - my new Modern Extra (the one due second week of June - hahahahaha) - but at some point this week I would appear to have set my muse down somewhere 'safe' and now I can't find the damn thing. So, I've ground to a halt. Big time.

I know all about my hero and heroine. I know their motivations, their conflicts, the journey I want to take them on. And, as it's centred a whole heap round my heroines self esteem issues linked to her weight, I have also done all my research on calories burned kissing (26) and making love (depends how energetic you get apparently) and technically, I'm good to go...

But I'm stuck. So I could do with some help. I think maybe I'm having hero issues! I don't know about anyone else but to me, the guy is the central part of the story. Yes, I have to understand my heroine, be able to get inside her mind and walk in her shoes... But the hero, well, him I have to love, laugh with, want to slap silly occasionally... want. And therefore it follows that the whole casting thing is crucial. I have to see my hero, let my imagination run free...


So far I have had him based, surprise surprise, on Nathan Fillion. Because, well, if you were here for the recent 'war' with my dear friend Ally Blake, you will know the because...

Then there's Colin Farrell, who, if you saw S.W.A.T. you will know, has that dark and brooding edge that I need for my hero this time round... Mmm...

Then we have the ever sarcastic, and yet with a brooding edge, Jensen Ackles who I already cast for my hero in Fighting Fate. (which kinda begs the question of whether or not you can cast the same guy over and over and over... and still keep the hero's, well, fresh...if you know what I mean?!)


And still, hovering around as he so often is, is the ever tempting Hugh Jackman, who, although I have used 'bits' of him in hero's before I have never actually 'used' him... ahem...


I may just find as I get going again that my hero takes on his own form and shape, as usually happens, but maybe a kick start with the basics would help me out of this slump??? Looking at pics of these guys certainly helps...

So, help me out here... We are casting for the part of Rory Mulligan. He's a bodyguard in the Middle East who has come home to recuperate after being shot in the leg. At home he runs a chain of Gyms with his brother and this is how he meets our wise cracking heroine, Cara Sheehan. Rory has seen a lot, has been separated for the first time in years from the group of guys who have become his family. Now he has to decide if he can leave that family to put down roots at home in Ireland... So, who would you cast if you were me? Who looks like a Rory to you?
Who should I cast as hero for ANTICIPATION???
The ever gorgeous Nathan?
The darkly brooding Colin?
That cheeky chappie Jensen?
The dependable Mr. Jackman?
A.N Other... The hero yet to be discovered...
Free polls from Pollhost.com

11 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

I'd just like to point out that a certain N Roberts and G Heyer both have a tendency to reuse heroes. This has not hurt their respective sales. It all depends on how you want to protray your hero and how you want your heroine to fall in love with him.
What are the qualities that will make your heroine fall in love with him?

Donna Alward said...

Trish - I'm supposed to be working and now I have to go shopping for a hero?

The laundry will just have to wait. Check your e-mail in 30 min.

D

JENNA said...

I want Colin. He'll be harder to write (sorry) but that's who I see with the mini-blurb.

I need to go on my own hero hunt...I want something different...

Nicola Marsh said...

Trish,

as soon as you gave the blurb and I saw 'bodyguard', it has to be Colin. He just has that look, you know?

And mega congrats on the April release for the preggers heroine :)

allyblake said...

Totally agree on the Colin front. Not because my current hero is heavily borrowing from your lovely Nathan, but the whole brooding, dark bodyguard thing seems to lend itself to the likes of your very own Irish rebel.

Does he do it for your heroine?

Mags said...

I fear your muse might have run off with mine! If you find them together, please send mine home and I'll do the same for yours!!! I'm hoping it is May blues (a month full of horrid anniversaries and memories) and that maybe I shall get going again once we hit June. Please, please, please.

As for the men/photos we use to base heroes on, yes, I believe you can use the same one again, especially if you use a different photo/look/pose. Each character is individual, with their own traits and characteristics and the bits of the person you use change each time

I really hope you get kick-started again very soon. Good luck.

Best wishes,
Mags

Mags said...

PS - I voted for Hugh!!

Best wishes,
Mags

Trish said...

If I'm half-way as successful as EITHER of those writers Michelle I will die a happy woman...

Donna - You love me really...

Oooh Jenna! Something *different*??? Pee Wee Herman? Whoever he is... when you find him you will of course share him for the hero database, right???

Nic - Thanks my honey. Am sooo relieved its gone and to be honest I think its been part of the missing muse problem...

Ally - YES he does definately 'do it' for my heroine ;)

Mags the missing muse dilemma appears to be a world-wide problem at the minute... We should start some sort of Interpol search maybe?

So, Colin in the lead now... which is a tad ironic considering it was him I had in mind originally... Just goes to show I should stick with my initial instinct, huh??

Jopee said...

Trish, I dont think anybody does brooding better than Mr Farrell! I can easily see him as a wounded, prickly bodyguard. Goodluck with finding the muse real soon :)

Anonymous said...

so we did initially think colin, yes hes is so damm sexy, but then well, speaking from personal experience, i like my hero to make me feel smaller.......... and not blow away in a big wind..
big sharon

but hes perfect for me.....
little sharon, only because i'm 5ft 2!!

we're thinking macho here...... vin diesel type but not specifically him.......... we cant agree on this........ but we do belive he could anchor us down in a hurricane (on a stormy night or any night for that matter)

xxxxxxxxxx luv you loads
sharons

Anonymous said...

Hugh Jackman...just picture him as the Van Helsing or Wolverine character, YUM!