Monday, August 21, 2006

Characters Not Behaving = Stressed Out Trish

Ever get to a point in your manuscript when you want to take your characters to one side and slap them about a little???

I'm there. With bells on.

I like nice obedient characters who whisper in my ear and tell me all about themselves as we go along. I open the door for them, figuratively speaking, and they're supposed to take the invitation and walk on in... And be co-operative!!!

Not these two. They're making me insane. I feel another pineapple coming on, I really do... Talk about suffering for your art!!! And I don't even have my usual online partner for hourly check-ins and updates on how much wine we have consumed and the usual incentive of her writing more words than me in an hour... Bloody inconsiderate of her taking a holiday when I need her really...

So, for all you writers out there struggling with characters who won't behave, who choose to be secretive and then reveal information you could have done with knowing THREE CHAPTERS AGO... Know that even when published... we understand your pain.. and suffer right along side you...

Whose idea was it for my supposed gift to be writing? Huh?

Cyber gifts of sympathy and pep-talks all gladly received at this point... 11 DAYS TO DEADLINE... Watch the worm counter guys to see if I can make it... And meanwhile...

Now-drinking-more-wine... And sending out a silent prayer that listening to Josh Groban's dulcid tones will ease me through...

7 comments:

Nicola Marsh said...

Hang in there, Trish!

Remember your last 'pineapple' book was a Cata Reviewers Choice finalist and everybody loved it? Well, this book is going to be even bigger :)

Though I totally get what you're saying about characters not behaving...they really are the most fickle people, aren't they?

allyblake said...

Don't you hate it when they do that Trish? Grrr... I feel for you buddy.

I am mid-revisions so have written nothihng of new book as yet. Does that make you feel any better?

Or do you need a kick in the pants instead. Come on slow coach! Get moving! Stop dilly-dallying!

Take whichever medicine helps of the above and ignore the rest ;).

Hugs
Ally

Michelle Styles said...

I am sure you can do it Trish. A piece of cake.

it is annoying when charaters get tricksie

CyberScribe said...

It could be worse, you could have blog stress.

It is good to read that your characters are not behaving as, no doubt, it means the book'll be better because of it.

Hopefully we find out tomorrow :-)

Donna Alward said...

Remember - you always come through in the end and this time it won't be any different. Give those characters a kick in the pants, and plow through it. You'll get back into rhythm, and then if things need to be fixed...you can fix them. Right now, just have a glass of wine, put your butt in the chair and write! It'll be brilliant!

Ok...so how'd I do at the tough love/motivation blend??? Did I totally suck? LOL

Seriously...you can do this. We all know it.

Trish said...

You guys are fab! And I was thinking... If you all took a chapter each...???

Pweeze????

And thanks for the Blog Stress link Cyberscribe... I get that too I think but mine is more blogger related. Or rather - loading pics onto blogger related - Its obviously been designed by people who have shares in herbal calming tablets... And dont even START ME on the new Hotmail Beta!!!!!!!!!

CyberScribe said...

There's a "beta blogger" now which sounds to me like "beta blockers" isn't that medication for stressed out bloggers? ;-)