Monday, August 14, 2006

I got Tagged so...

Yes, I got tagged by Kate Hardy a couple of days ago... and this is my first chance to do it so here goes...

1. One book that changed my life:

Oh heck – An easy one to start with!!!! NOT. The Little House On The Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder – Yes I know it’s corny, but this was one of the first books I read the whole way through as a child and thanks to that achievement I became a reader and thanks to that achievement I became a writer – so when you follow the chain back – The Little House book changed my life… Maybe not a Mensa moment but the start of a chain reaction – and that’s what I believe happens in life – the little things change us in the long term…

2. One book that I have read more than once:

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin – I mean, c’mon, who hasn’t???

3. One book I would want on a deserted island:

I’m gonna have the same reaction that Kate had here and say - ONE BOOK is not possible!!!!! But then I’d cheat and say one of those palm held Wireless internet accessible e-book readers and that would solve that one. (Wonder if anyone on the BBC version of Desert Island Discs has thought of that yet for IPods and Music…mmm…) Though I have read several not half bad e-books and have a couple on stand-by for when I finish this flipping manuscript – I will have to confess – at the risk of being thrown from a tall building – I still prefer the book in my hand… I get the usefulness and shelf space saving qualities and accessibility of an e-book thingie but since we’ll probably never be allowed one on an aircraft again and they don’t quite feel the same when you’re tucked up with them in bed… I just don’t know that I’ll ever be a convert… But IF on a desert Island…

4. One book that made me laugh:

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. - The book that nearly got me ejected from a Sixth Form study period in the Library of my school for laughing aloud so often… I had backed it in the same covering as the rest of my school books so I wouldn’t be caught out reading something off the curriculum – and it was the start of a lifelong obsession with this man’s work – Funniest guy on the planet – or anywhere else imho

5. One book that made me cry:

P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern – (As much crying from jealousy as anything else…where was MY MUSE when this book was being thought up???) This was a super book – really really clever – great balance between funny and poignant and an emotional journey to beat all emotional journeys – Anyone who has ever had someone they care about die will get this book. And they’ll weep as much from memories of their own as they will from the journey this heroine takes from grief back to life… We’ve all been there…

6. One book I wish I'd written:

The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenberger – Take two of my favorite things – Romance & Sci-Fi - and put them in a cleverly written, unique plot - and you’ve GOT ME. I want to be as clever as the woman who wrote this…. Mind you… I don’t think I have a large enough room for the size of wall required for THE TIMELINE to keep things straight in this book… PHEW…

7. One book I wish had never been written:

Nah. Like Kate again – I’m gonna say this smacks too much of book burning for me.- Though I would never ever read a book that advocates degradation of a human being in ANY WAY – or one that is prejudicial religiously or by colour of skin or promotes any kind of cruelty to children or animals – At the same time I think that to single out a book to have never been written is just too far above my rights as one person on the planet. Books should make us think, should allow us to get lost for a while, should stimulate our imaginations… And if we set boundaries for the way books are written then what might we have missed???

8. One book I am currently reading:

The Stargate Conspiracy by Lynn Picknett & Clive Prince – And I have to admit I’ve been reading it forever – It takes a lot of concentration and as I’m working on my fifth book in a year it has been picked up and set down and picked up and set down. And every time I pick it up I have to go back a bit to get the thread… It’s a *factual* book linking physical and historical evidence with the theories of generations on the Pyramids and their links to lost civilizations and visitors from other worlds. Yep, like I said. LOTS of concentration – fascinating stuff though… (Have to say though, if I take a break from my own writing these days it’s to watch a DVD - and all it’s extras of course… I could do you one hell of a film list…)

9. One book I have been meaning to read:

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom – I’ve also recently ordered Tuesday’s With Morrie by the same author on DVD with Jack Lemmon (his last film as well as being about life lessons passed on from an old man to a young - so twice the Kleenex’s expected)… Since I’ve been working on my longer Single Title Novel I’ve been doing a lot of research on peoples’ perceptions of life and death so I’m fascinated by these themes at the minute…

And now, mmm, who to tag to come along and play with me... It would have to be the usual gang of Ally Blake, Nicola Marsh and Natasha Oakley - my fellow Pink Heart Society gang leaders and I'd also love to see what Liz Fielding and Donna Alward come up with... Best thing about being tagged is tagging someone else...

3 comments:

JENNA said...

5 People is good stuff. And SHORT.

I loved all the Little House books. I hope my boys don't find them too girly, because we will be reading them at bedtime when they move up to chapter books.

Kate Hardy said...

I thought you'd enjoy this one. *g*

With you all the way on the Niffenegger book. Wasn't it FABULOUS? (Then again, the pressure for writing #2 must be immense - how do you make the next one even better?)

Liz Fielding said...

I just caught the tag, Trish -- I'll do my bit when I get back from my Hols.