Wednesday, August 23, 2006

I want not to have a headache anymore... Please?



Alright, so at some point in my broken sleep pattern I had a brainwave... Current scene was slowing me down... I needed to go back again and add another one... This is a break through I feel...

But I should go back a little more and explain how this startling moment of clarity came to me. Since I buried myself in the cave as a Full Time writer this year, I knew I was going to have to work hard and put in the effort. I have a schedule of sorts you see. I'm just one of these people that works better with a plan... what can I say... However, when you work at home, on your own schedule, it's tough making people understand that you're still WORKING. Just cos you're at home and can work in your jammies if you choose to, doesn't make what you're doing any less of a job... And as a writer, I dunno about others, but I find my writing can be very influenced by my mood...

Cue - (insert scary music and a clap of thunder) - MY FAMILY... da-da-dah!!!!

Over the last few years I have worked away from home, I'm a very indepedent being and I'm used to my own space and schedule and seeing people when I want to and - yada-yada-yada. So this is the first time in a very long time I've got to spend time within kicking distance of all my neices and nephews. (Who are now within yelling distance - literally) Which I should add I love. And they are all very into their ponies at the minute which is fab... But as the only real equine orientated and fully trained equine enthusiast member of the family that means I get lots of visits... Can we ride now? Will I put the ponies out? Can I wash tails? What time are we riding at? I put the ponies out. I washed tails. Are you ready to go riding??? AAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

And those of you that know me may know I'm a night-writer - which means during the earlier part of the day I'M GRUMPY. What can I say, I'm a witch if I don't get my full five to six hours....

So, when I went to sleep at half five in the a.m. I did it with the complete belief that no-one without a death wish would be foolish enough to wake me before ten-ish, with any luck later than that. Imagine my glee at being woken up just after eight...

"Champ's out." (three legged pony I've been bandaging for five weeks now due to a noticeable lack of skin on fourth leg) "We need you to see if he's alright."

(Grumpy witch mode thinks it can't be that difficult to count if he still has three legs, a bandaged one and a head and a tail...) But gets out of bed and walks over to stables in jammies and dressing gown and, trainers, to see... While family asks me questions. Questions that mystic Trish should know obviously... like..."How did he get out?"

To cut a very long story down to novella length I didn't have the all seeing eye to know how he got out. And I am genuinely sorry that he chose to eat everything within a five mile radius including the new trees that were only planted this summer...But anyone who has ever kept ponies or horses will tell you they just DO stuff like that. If I were to tell you the number of times I've had to chase round the countryside in the middle of the night in my jammies to catch escapees... well.. let's just say it's why I always buy PRACTICAL jammies...

Grumpy witch then came back and immediately made a note to pin to door that said 'I'm on a DEADLINE. Leave me alone!' - (Im stressed and stressed to me equals problems writing....) and you know what, not only did it give me a day free from questions like 'Are you always going to be on a deadline?' and 'How many books do you have to write?' or my personal favorite when I'm stressed 'How's the book coming? - You done yet?' - which friends also TEXT ME with - and the usual glut of pony questions (which I really don't want to completely discourage cos I like to know they're all alive and have legs and heads and tails and kids can lose interest FAST so they need encouragement) - It also let me sneak back to bed for another interrupted hour or two of sleep which gave me my brainwave of what to do with the book... HOORAH!!!

All it took then was a bath, herbal calming tablets, a face pack and painting my toenails - all to DE-STRESS - and I was good to go... If I'd have sat down at the laptop in grumpy witch mode my poor characters would have suffered horrifically for it. Cos lets face it, up til now they'd have deserved it... But they're co-operating now so I can't really take the chance on upsetting them...

If I worked in an office I wouldn't have all these challenges... But mind you, neither would I get to wear my jammies til after lunch...

So, what I want to know is how in hell do writers with kids of their own DO THIS???? And how do people cope with other people who don't get that just cos a person is in jammies til after lunch it doesn't mean they don't WORK???

But most of all I really want to know HOW DO I GET RID OF THIS FLIPPING HEADACHE???

9 DAYS TO DEADLINE FOLKS....

5 comments:

allyblake said...

Trish, I can feel your panic from here.

Though the whole bath and toenail painting thing sounded really really nice. I think I might try that tomorrow before I launch myself into my next book!

Big deep breaths, the right background music, and bring a horsewhip inside to keep your characters on track!

Ally

Margaret McDonagh said...

Nothing like animals and children to throw a spanner in the works.

As for the infuriating populace who do not understand that working from home means WORKING and so please don't interrupt and pop in for inconsequential and uninvited visits, it makes one want to SCREAM.

I heard of someone who worked from home and stuck a notice outside which said NO CALLERS - AND YES, THAT DOES MEAN YOU. I want one!!!

Good luck chasing down that deadline and getting the sleep. At least your characters have decided to cooperate at the moment.

Love,
Mags

Donna Alward said...

Kids can make it challenging. You're in the middle of a great scene and they pop in wanting a snack. Or something. Or they start fighting, my personal favorite.

That's why I write in the mornings...generally when they are in school. And believe me, the husband is even more distracting with the kids. He'll start conversations and expect me to answer. If he's home that means he's not working which means he thinks I shouldn't be either. Arrrrgggghhhh.

I love my mornings. If people will leave me alone for 4 hours at a time, I'm a happy girl.

Donna Alward said...

meant to say husband is more distracting THAN the kids. Doy.

Nicola Marsh said...

Trish,
I can answer the kids question: don't write while they're around.

I've tried a few different things but the only time I get to write uninterrupted is when kidlet is down for the night, hence I've become a 'night' writer too!

I now nap or read a book in the arvo when he has a nap, giving me more energy for night writing.

It works for me :)