Sunday, September 24, 2006

Suffering & Seven Brothers....

Okay, so we've left our lovely Editor in Richmond and with full tummies and aching feet we (hobble) go back onto the tube... Well actually that's a bit of a fib - we didn't get *right* onto the tube. We couldn't hobble down the steps fast enough to get straight onto the one waiting at the platform - so we sat on a bench for a while til we finally worked out that as Richmond was at the end of the line *any* little train would take us in the general direction of that magical land where flat shoes live... (insert Over The Rainbow type music here at your leisure....)

On the train we bumped into Amy Andrews - an Aussie Author for the Meds line (and fellow first generation newbie) - who had also been there having lunch with her Editor Sheila, and who we had briefly met as we were touring the offices. So we got to chat all the way to Piccadilly about writing and when we sold and what we thought of the offices and what had worked for us and where we all came from and whether we were married and were we were all staying and - well - you know, it honestly felt like Piccadilly was smack bang next door to Richmond...

After a promise to meet up again the next day at the lunch Natasha and I then hobbled out into the open air of Piccadilly Circus. For anyone that has never visited London - this is part of the London we all see in films and on postcards. The tube station entrance brought us out at the statue of Eros fountain where tonnes of people had gathered to rest their aching feet. And d'ya know I was so jealous I could have cried. But the shoes thing was now not just a necessity.... but a life or death crisis - for Natasha - who I'm going to kill if I don't find a shoe shop soon!!!! She had promised me shops.... I couldn't *see* shops.... Where are the shops??? At this point I'm seriously considering sleeping at the base of the fountain til my flight home.... I *know* I have blisters (though thankfully for you blog visitors that is NOT a picture of *my* feet...)

When I saw the loooooonnnngggggg road stretching out in front of me. I honestly could have wept... But we found a Clarkes Shoe store and hobbled in. This is where the sales assistants must really have rubbed their hands in glee. Cos, lemme tell you, the minute those shoes came off our feet - there was no way on God's green earth our feet were going back in them. We were BUYING shoes - no question about it.... Done deal.

Imagine the smiles on our faces as we left - IN FLAT SHOES....

So we went for coffee (more iced coffee - I'm now making up a favourite places list mentally....) and we had a bit of a wander before we got out the map to try and find The Haymarket Theatre so we could pick up our tickets. Actually - d'ya know - we managed that quite well. Even if we did cross the same bit of road twice.... Tickets collected we then found a nice little Italian restaurant nearby to have anti-pasti (spelt wrong maybe?) - and we sat outside to watch the world go by... I had Buffalo Mozzarella and Ripe Avocado with beef tomatoes and can I just say - Y-U-M!!!!!!!! And we watched the world go by while we plotted new books and revamped our current ideas to come into line with the things our Editor had said she would like to see us think about. This isn't us being brainwashed I should add. It's a case of knowing the current themes and what sells and what way they'd like to market us - and then putting our own twist to it and our own voices. It's one of the best things about the yearly trip to London really... And plotting with a mate while eating and watching the world go by is pretty darn good....!!!!

We then popped across the street to The Haymarket and watched a performance of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - it's fairly new to the West End and has quite a young cast but it was a blast to wacth. Real toe-tapping stuff! The interior of the theatre is stunning and cozy enough to give a real sense of being amonngst friends while watching it. And Natasha and I refrained from singing along which we felt was the nicest thing for the rest of the audience...

I've been raised on musicals since my Mum is such a fan - and I think she had a tad of a crush on Howard Keel myself - so on her behalf I was a little more critical of the leading man than I might have been otherwise... But on stage he was VERY like Howard Keel and did a very good performance of all those favorite songs from the film that I remembered. The cast could all dance way way more energetically than I ever could and there was just enough eye candy to keep a gal watching... Though during the interval Natasha and I did feel there could have been more internal conflict between the six brothers and their gals and a continuity of some kind mind have given us better insight into their relationships and motivation... (aren't we good little authors)

It was a jolly good fun show though... and having slipped my feet out of my shoes during the performance - feeling had *almost* returned to all my toes. Though judging how bad the other toes felt it was probably best they stayed numb....

We then got back to the tube - assisted a drunk newly engaged chap clutching his champagne bottle to find his stop (well Natasha did) - and we then sloped off to bed so we could get up early the next day for the big round of lunch and champagne reception...

Come back tomorrow and I'll name drop like a PRO....

4 comments:

Kate Hardy said...

Betcha I'm namedropping more right now *g*

Lovely to see you on Friday - glad you've had a safe journey back. And if you think Natasha is bad with shoes, come handbag shopping with me...

Trish said...

Having seen your excellent choice of handbag I actually have absolutely NO PROBLEM with that... ;) I'll wear flats for the trip tho... okay???

So lovely to see you too!!!! I had the best visit this year!!!!!

Jopee said...

Hanging on your every word here Trish... sounds like you all had, are having, a blast :) Well, apart from your feet *g*

Trish W said...

LOL Jopee! Thankfully feet are well recovered now.... though flat shoes and trainers are definitely on my packing list for next year....