Saturday, October 7, 2006

On With The Pineapple Party

It's onwards and upwards with The Official Pineapple Party as I offer you, my darling Blog readers, the first of four weekly prizes....

But to kick off... Let's have a little bit of an O'Reilly's Bride excerpt:

“Fancy meeting you here.”
He grinned, immediately recognizing her smile for what it was. A front specifically for his benefit.
“Yeah, fancy that.” He took a swig of beer and stood by her side, his feet set slightly apart, claiming the piece of ground he was standing on while he looked at the small crowd and glanced occasionally at Maggie from the corner of his eye, “Don seems to be having a good time.”
Maggie looked over at their neighbour, “Yeah, he does,” With a safe topic to discuss she immediately slipped into the easy role that until a few months ago had been so natural to her, leaning a little closer to Sean and nudging her shoulder against his upper arm, “You see the way he keeps looking at Rachel?”
Sean leaned his head a little closer to hers and dropped his voice conspiratorially, “She keeps looking at him too, when she thinks he can’t see her.”
The subject of the octogenarian love affair was one they frequently talked about. Maggie smiled and tilted her head to look up into dark eyes, her voice low, “You think they’ll ever get it together? Or is that still too much of a stretch for you into the realms of believing good things can happen?”
Sean’s eyes locked with hers and he stared at her for a long moment, “I’m learning to stretch some. So, maybe it might happen yet. They’ve been friends a long time though.”
“Yes they have, but you only have to see the way they are together to know there’s more there.”
He blinked slowly and smiled.
Maggie searched his eyes, looking from one to the other. She tilted her head to the other side and searched again, then an eyebrow quirked and she asked, “What?”
The smile remained, “What?”
She stared back at him, “You have a look.”
“Do I?” He continued smiling his usual self assured smile, his eyes giving nothing away.
It bugged the hell out of Maggie that he had the ability to do that and that he still felt the need to do it around her. He was just so controlled sometimes that she wanted to smack him silly. He held everything inside, guarded from the world so that in the brief instances he did open up it made it all the more of a gift to whoever was allowed in. But he still didn’t completely trust her, did he?
The fact that she’d had to hold back so much from him of late made the realization almost hurtful. She hated that a relationship that had come to mean so much to her had come to this point.

You have until next Saturday to add a comment here to try and win a signed copy of The Pineapple. If I haven't completely put you off the very idea of wanting to actually read it!!!

12 comments:

Jopee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jopee said...

Trish, rereading it at the moment and it just came to me... Robert Redford in Up Close and Personal as Sean. Went hunting for pic of him looking like a journo and found this instead.

My version of Sean O'Reilly and Maggie Sullivan

Sorry about the previous post. I couldnt make the link work.

Marcy said...

Looking forward to reading it, Trish. You've got me hooked.

Marcy

jude said...

I'v read it already (she said like girlie swot annoying person) and I LOVED IT! Definitely a keeper shelf classic Trish. I had Sean in my head as Gerry Butler with stubble (hmmm - worked for me). jx

2paw said...

Yes!! I've read it and loved it too. It was modern, but 'old fashioned' at the same time!! I was scrolling down and saw that your Irish authors aren't flagged. Why ever not?? I automatically buy Aus?NZ books now, sight unseen. That little blue lozenge shape guarantees a sale for me!! They should get their Irish M&B selves into gear!!!!

Trish said...

Have to say I am LOVING all these choices for Sean!!!! I may even have to do a hero day for him....

And aren't you all FANTASTIC for reading the pineapple and LIKING it!!! Maybe I'll feel a little of the love and soften up towards it... :0

Maybe...

Though these days its not so much the actual book as the process attached to it that makes me shudder... I've been blogging a bit about that at eharl as it happens... lol...

Trish said...

Oh and Cindy they are HOPING to flag us Irish authors soon - I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE!!!!!! Not like there are actually that many of us... Far as I'm aware when it comes to born and bred Irish there are three of us... Yup, three. Two who write for Presents/Modern and lil old me... ;) I'd be so so pleased if they do flag them.... I know it makes such a difference in Aus!!!

Carol Hutchens said...

Sounds great, Trish.
Love the discussion over Sean.

CrystalG said...

Great excerpt. Sean and Maggie are great characters

Nicole Reising said...

Sounds great Trish!

Cole

Donna Alward said...

I've read it but I don't have an actual "Copy!" Must get one....

Btw I LOVED your pineapple. It made me cry all over the bloody place.

bamabelle said...

Trish,

The book sounds great! I would love to read it. After all, I have a great fondness for both pineapple and any hero that I can apply the image of Gerard Butler to (thanks Jude lol).