Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Change of Hero

So my revisions are in gang - and as ALWAYS my Editor has been able to see light at the end of the tunnel before I have!!!! I LOVE my Editor!!!!!

We had a little phone chat today and during our discussion there was a lightbulb moment....

Yes - I mis-cast my hero - AGAIN....!!!

As you may recall I had this exact same difficulty with the last Modern Extra too and had to call on your guys to help me out. You chose Colin Farrell from the poll and all of a sudden the words FLEW - Rory took on a life of his own and the quick wit, sarcasm and drool-worthy sexiness of the guy made the book an absolute JOY to write and turned Rory into one of my ALL TIME favourite hero's. Remember???

Well, all the problems Rory's brother Connor have given me in this one have come down to the EXACT same thing. But did I have the damn sense to come here and ask you clever folks for help again??? OH-NO. I had to try and go it alone.... SEE WHAT THAT GOT ME???

So, before we had Hugh Jackman cast as Connor and oh-my-yes he was sexy enough. But the problem??? Hugh is a NICE GUY and Connor - well Connor has AN EDGE TO HIM - if you get my drift.... He's now a Millionaire's secret son, remember? And he is VERY angry about that when he finds out. But he still has enough sexuality to dominate most of the story and to persuade my heroine, against her better judgement, to hop in the sack with him again even when he's behaving like a ****head.... And it's not that Hugh doesn't have that edge in my mind but I have studied Hugh intensively, *cough* for the PHS of course *cough*, and I know what an incredibly nice guy Hugh is in real life so I kept feeling the need to have Connor justify his behaviour and prove he's really a nice guy when to be honest, Connor could care less what anyone thinks! They're not in his shoes as far as he's concerned. He can do what the hell he wants. He can walk in a room and pick any woman he wants. He can sell buildings out from underneath eclectic little community groups if it'll make him the money he knows can be made. He can have a blazing argument with my heroine and still end up horizontal at the drop of a hat - cos he just CAN. And as far as he's concerned, my heroine can look for a reason behind that if she wants to - but he is what he is. Learn to live with it.

So I went hero shopping for someone I knew NOTHING about....

He won't get in Connor's way that way - right? The theory being that the crisis in confidence I've had with this one can be dissipated if I can block out ANYTHING that I can use as an *excuse* not to just let loose with this damn book...

So I'm not even gonna say who this guy is for now in case one of you decides to come tell me he's a pussy cat - HA! Not for the next few days he's not. For the next few days he's Connor Flanaghan.

And heaven help my feisty heroine!!!!!!!

It's not just me that has had problems with our darling Hugh either!!!! Have a pop over to Ally Blake's Blog to see just how he grabbed onto her ankles and held her up too!!!! He's sneaky that Hugh....

2 comments:

Natasha said...

He's very young. But, decorative - I give you that!! And I suppose if you have to be shut away in a cabin with someone for a few days ....

allyblake said...

I love his eyes Tr5ish, cheeky and stubborn. I have the feeling he'll do by you just fine...

Ally