Monday, November 6, 2006

No - I didn't die...

BUT... This book may well be the DEATH of me....

I blame The Pineapple. Just even reliving the experience has apparently put a scut on this one. And I'm tired. Really really tired. And fed up. And computer-technically challenged on a daily basis. So I will moan about it now so that if by some MIRACLE this book sells I will never ever ever - trust me - tell this tale again so as not to take the chance of putting a scut on the one I might hopefully be working on then... After this post it will evermore be professionally referred to as *a tough one to write* and you guys will get my drift...k???

My deadline is a week away. Well, okay, its nine days away. At this point to have half a book done would be the norm for me - you all know I like a bit of a race for the gate, right??? But nuh-uh. Not this time. THIS TIME we aren't even halfway there.... And why you may ask???

Because I've been having an attack of my: mylifesucksbigtimeitis.
And being as and how I am one of those souls who is influenced by mood when writing... I have been having an associated problem with: whaddamidoinwritinabookwhenicantwriteosis
brought on by sporadic doses of: dosno1getaftr3yrs - thatwhenondeadlineineedleftalonecosimgrumpy -
&willmostlikelycryotherwise
in several degrees of dibilitation....

So THIS picture pretty much sums up how I feel right this second...

Lessons I have learnt from ths book so far:

1/ Do NOT try to be clever and make your internet connection work better while procrastinating during chapter one... you will KILL YOUR CONNECTION and then your computer will have a heart attack and you will have to resort to borrowing computers from family members when they are not using them which means adjusting constantly from keyboard to keyboard and the associated typing dyslexia that goes with that... AND adjusting to different passwords in ALL of them and the fact that NONE of them have all your usual addresses stored for research/browsing/procrastinating... which leads to stress... TRUST ME

2/ Understand that to punish you for your foolish belief that you had ANY technical know-how whatsoever the internet will then sabotage your emails. Which leads to MORE stress. And weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth...

3/ DO NOT volunteer to house sit for friends so that you have two dogs, three cats, a tortoise and 29 HORSES to look after the last two weeks of your deadline AND their computer keyboard needs every single key hammered down with enuff force to make a hole in your normal keyboard - which leads to cramping fingers and thumbs even when you stop typing - which you shouldnt - cos TIME IS RUNNING OUT - Cos if you DO housesit then OF COURSE you should understand that one of the horses will get sick the night before you get there so that you spend three days with sleepless nights checking on it and ringing vets and and and... which leads to exhaustion as you don't sleep properly (catnapping sooooo doesnt work for me) and in turn leads to general grumpiness due to lack of sleep and an inability to remember what you already wrote in the ms last time so you have to constantly re-read it which reminds you that the general levels of perceived suckiness have not improved any whereas leaving it be til you finish the darn thing might give you a better idea how to accept said suckiness might not be as bad as you think it is or you may have a clearer plan of how to fix said suckiness....

4/ Remember if you DONT LIKE your hero in the first four chapters it probably WONT GET BETTER so it serves you right when you have to go back and thump the delete key until your finger DOES cramp up... Listen to the screaming muse in the back of your head darnnit!!!!!

I know theres more but Im depressing myself again so I'll stop...

Let's just say that as far as this one goes.... *it has been a tough one to write* - smirk -.... and ITS STILL NOT OVER....

After this one I SWEAR... I'm taking a break... NO - REALLY I AM....

Meanwhile to amuse you all while I suffer.... Bamabelle is the winner of the one and only Pineapple giveaway I managed to run... CONGRATS - Please email me your addy and cross your fingers it gets to me when you hit send ;)

There is a review for White-Hot! up at Cataromance here - HUGE thanks to the lovely Julie who gave it four and a half stars and said:
"White-Hot is absolutely wonderful! Trish Wylie’s spellbinding tale will tickle your funny bone and tug at your heartstrings. Featuring characters which leap off the pages, realistic dialogue, sweet romance, sizzling sex scenes, electrifying sexual tension and dramatic emotional intensity, White-Hot! is feel-good romance at it’s finest! "
And funnily enough this ties in quite well as I have just had my first peek at the Sexy Sensation cover for White-Hot! which is out in Australia and New Zealand in December (but available online here now!) If you're fascinated by those little moments of coincidence that sometimes happen in life - like I am - then it's worth mentioning that this EXACT same cover pic was on the front of the UK release of Samantha Hunter's Blaze premiere "Virtually Perfect" this year. How do I know this???? Cos I RAVED about this cover to Samantha after I read the book. Cos the guy on the cover is Y-U-M. That hair.....
Sorry... I digress... anyways I just thought it was a Twilight Zone Music spooky moment that having loved and raved about both the cover and the book that I should then end up with that exact same picture... Spooky.... Alright - maybe he doesn't look much like my Shane but even so... YUM... Did I mention the hair???
Anyhoos this is my first ever Sexy Sensation so I hope you all like it... and to keep it company on the shelves in Australia and New Zealand in December we also have Project: Parenthood... available online here now - two books... two lines... in one month...
I'm writing that down in my memory bank myself. It may never happen again...

Project: Parenthood is out NOW in the USA, Canada, the UK and Ireland as my first release for the new Romance Line... But it's worth mentioning to the UK and Ireland readers that it is a DIRECT SALE ONLY in the UK so if you want one then you can get it through the Mills and Boon site or at Amazon (I have a link key on the sidebar at the bottom LHS if it helps)....

Oh and the other small problem I've had while working on this - ahem - *tough* book... was the postal service from Nowheresville (where I live) to Anywhereelseville (aka the rest of the world)... so the reviews for books I posted that took years to get to their destinations are only starting to appear now... First up from The Romance Reader we have a four heart recommendation for The Pineapple:
"Wylie’s style shines through too, with a tad bit of tongue in cheek and a sparkle in the writing that keeps the reader engaged and encouraged that all will work out in the end....
O’Reilly’s Bride is an engaging and entertaining first effort. Wylie will
have a future if she continues to write stories and characters that jump from the pages like these. Keep on eye open for her future tales."
Wasn't that nice of them??? You can read the whole review here and here's hoping that I can actually make it past this - ahem - *tough book to write* -
so that I can make it worth anyones while to keep their eyes open for me...
And the lovely Sue aka MsCreativity wrote a very beautiful review here that said:
"This book is full of emotion from start to finish. I loved both Maggie and Sean from the very first page. IMO the fact that they are two wonderful characters, with nothing to dislike in their personalities, makes it a VERY difficult story to write. "
We LOVE Sue... pop over and show her a bucketload of support as she joins the NaNo crew this month!!!!

Sigh.... Right I spose I better get back to the darn cave then. Not that its my cave. Its someone elses caves. My cave was well settled into... lived in... it had a nice SOFT TOUCH keyboard...If I don't ever come back again then you'll at least now that that this book killed me...

12 comments:

Donna Alward said...

Ok Babes. There's only one thing I can do.

(((((((((()))))))))

Copious amounts of hugs, and a bottle of chocolate mint baileys waiting for when you write THE END.

xx

D

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

(((((((TRISH)))))))) Oh my goodness!! I knew you were struggling with your current wip, but after reading everything you've had to cope with... *shudder*

I'm not going to tell you that everything will turn out fine because I know you won't believe me.

What I can do is send you loads of good vibes and wishes.

I can't believe that you've linked to me and said such lovely things. Or that you've even had time to notice I'm trying to do NaNo with eHarl - thank you!! If it hadn't been for following your link I'd never have found any of the eHarl threads. At least I know who to blame when I'm the one struggling and wondering why I ever got involved... (and that time's hitting me round about two days ago!) ;-)

I'm going to leave you in peace and hope that everybody around you finally understands thatwhenyouareondeadlineyouneedtobeleftalone.

Loads of hugs & best wishes,
Sue :-)

2paw said...

Oh you're ahving a Georgette Heyer decline!! I have those. I take to my bed with a nice cup of tea and have a nice nap until I recover!! I can recommend it!! I am positive it will all work out fine!! Perhaps this could be the banana book: we are having a terrible banana crisis after Cyclone Larrty absolutely flattened almost all our banana crops this year: sounds like that's how you feel!!!

allyblake said...

Lovely to hear you are still in the land of thew living Trish. Seriously, get your internet fixed and fast so we can all have you back!!!

A

bamabelle said...

Trish,

I am so sorry about all the problems you are having. I hope everything goes smoothly from here on in. Thank you so much for the "pineapple" win! Your WIP sounds like a pineappleII, or possibly even a watermelon! I'll be sending all good vibes and happy wishes your way!

Michelle Styles said...

You can do it! I know you can!

These doubts will pass and you will soon have lovely book to hold...

Lots of hugs in the meantime 'though.

Fiona Harper said...

Awww, Trish! Big hugs.

Just read "White Hot" and it was fab! I loved the cheeky, sarcastic humour in it and it made me cry several times.

juliemt said...

((((((((((((((TRISH))))))))))) I am reading Project: Parenthood right now and it's brilliant and having loved every single thing you've written I know that not only can you do it, but that you can do it brilliantly too!

Julie

Sierra Donovan said...

... and I recently read O'REILLY'S BRIDE. I loved the way you worked out the HEA -- you played the final crisis (crises?) just right.

I have every confidence you can do it again. I just hope you're still conscious to revel in your triumph after you're done!!

Sierra

JENNA said...

Ahem...nine days later?

Do you feel better now? Climb out of the cave and let us know how you celebrated!

Trish said...

Oh no Jenna - we are now in EXTENSION LAND...

Yep - this one does NOT want written... darnnit!!!!

Trust me - when I'm done - you guys will KNOW...

Jopee said...

Trish, can you come out of your cave for a teenie weenie bit? Who's the inspiration for Project: Parenthood? Its just that I'm about to start it and I need a visual ;-)

Hope you're having a better time with the writing.