Monday, December 18, 2006

Empty Brain Syndrome

So, I'm pretty much caught up on all the things that had fallen by the wayside while I was buried in the cave this time...

I have clean laundry, almost a clean house, everything swapped from dying comp onto brand new shiny comp, lots of christmas shopping done (only two pressies to go so yay me!), I have done a small update to the website (see the end of the post) and have been playing horse this last couple of days so almost have them knocked back into shape enough to take them out in public... And all that's great. Then my lovely Editor sent me an email looking for vague outlines for the next Romance line book (which thankfully has been put back to the end of Feb rather than the beginning)...
Now - that's nothing out of the ordinary. And I've known I had another idea to come up with. So I was prepared. Thing is - I would appear to be having a small problem with empty-brain syndrome...
Normally I have at least a couple of ideas bubbling away there under the surface. Well, at least a couple. And thankfully over the years any time I've had an idea while working on something else I have always opened a Word file and knocked something vague out that I can go back to when I need to. But this time, once I knew the last *tough one to write* was done and dusted, when I tried to flick that switch in my head back from Modern Extra to Romance... I found the Romance ideas room completely empty and not a little on the echo-ey side...
Hmmm....
I've always known, from day one, that my *voice* was *on the cusp* so to speak. But I think after nine books for the Romance line I've kinda found my way. My first Modern Extra was done blind - cos the line wasn't out for me to read yet - my second was a JOY and my third... well... you all know the story with that one... But somehow every time I've tried to jump start my brain this time the stories have been see-sawing between the lines. I guess that's part of every writer's dilemma when they write for more than one line...
Behave and think of something great I told my brain.
Well I would if I had something to work with was the reply.
Think of something then I demanded (mostly when trying to go to sleep at night)
I might have one with little kids in said my head
We've done loads with kids in said I (somewhat petulantly)
Well that's what we have so tough and then there was silence...
So I was forced to go look at all those little Word files I have opened in the past. MAN did I have some AWFUL ideas in my time. I mean really, truly awful. I guess I should be thankful that I can recognize them for what they are now... but man. Really. Cringe worthy stuff...
There were but two that I could do something with - so I've given you the pics I sent with them. It'll be interesting to see if either of them - or a combination of the two stories will prove any good. If it's one thing I've learnt since I first sold - it's that you need to be flexible. And that having a great Editor who can communicate with you is the next best thing to winning the lottery! I'll let you know what we both come up with shall I?
And as for that bit of a website update. I added new excerpts for Bride Of The Emerald Isle and The Return Of The Rebel - both July releases for next year.... Maybe you'll pop by and let me know what you think...

4 comments:

JENNA said...

You need a magazine binge! That always gives me ideas.

2paw said...

Oh Richard Armitage, I love North and South, and Amanda Tapping, I love Stargate. How could this not be good????!!!

Natasha Oakley said...

I can't see how you could go wrong with anything inspired by Richard Armitage. That's the one to go with!!

Cole said...

You know I was just thinking about growth as a writer the other day. I was looking back at some of my old ideas and... I guess it is good to note I now see why they weren't as good as I thought they were. :)

Have a great Holiday!
Cole