Friday, December 1, 2006

A Little Something For Your Stocking

No! It's not pictures of hot hero types wearing Santa Hats... mind you - I may have a little something up my sleeve in that department Christmas week at The Pink Heart Society if you're at all interested... ;)

Nope this is about a rather stunning COMPETITION that the lovely Kate Walker is running!!! In the Christmas competition on her website she has two (YES! TWO!!!) Christmas stockings stuffed full of books to give away - HOW FANTASTIC IS THAT???? Actually - y'know something - I WANT IT. Wonder if thats allowed.... mmmm.... ???

And WHITE-HOT! by a certain Trish Wylie (who is that girl???) is part of the prize package along with a stunning line up of:

Christmas Kids and Kisses - A 3in1 Anthology which includes Kate's very own "The Christmas Baby Gift".

Accepting the Boss's Proposal - by my good buddy Natasha Oakley.

The Italian Doctor's Bride - by Margaret McDonagh.
(The Pink Heart Society Review Blog gave this MAJOR KUDOS).

Blind-Date Wedding by Fiona Harper. (Another one that got MAJOR KUDOS on The Pink Heart Society Review Blog !)

Chosen as the Frenchman's Bride by fellow Irishwoman Abby Green (Abbey get a website! NOW!)

The Italian Billionaire's Virgin by Christina Hollis. (Brand new Modern Romance/Presents author WHO ALSO DOESN'T HAVE A WEBSITE YET - AHEM!).

A Mistress for the Taking by Annie West. (Yes folks another one that did pretty darn well on The Pink Heart Society Review Blog!)

And there may even be more to be added before Kate picks a winner!!!

I'm so very pleased that Kate added me to this list of exciting authors!!! And the one thing they all have in common is that we're all pretty darn new or brand spanking new authors!!!! Which is absolutely TYPICAL of our very lovely Kate Walker!!!

Yes, not only did she go and write the fantastic 12-Point Guide to Writing Romance which works through the topics of:

  1. How to write emotion and create PTQ (page turning quality) in your novels
  2. How to create conflict amidst your characters and why it is a major essential component in your novel.
  3. Why dialogue is the lifeblood of your knowledge
  4. How to make dialogue sound realistic
  5. How to make your characters real
  6. How to create the required sharp focus on your hero and heroine
  7. How to develop supporting characters that work
  8. Why flashbacks are important in some stories and how to create them in your novel.
  9. Why sensuality is important and how you can develop sensuality between your hero and heroine
  10. How to pace the development of the romance that is occurring between your hero and heroine
  11. How to write the love scene between your hero and heroine and the importance of after
  12. The importance of the hero and his essential vital vulnerability
  13. The filter role of the heroine for the reader
  14. The heroines 21 St Century response to conflict
  15. How to answer the question why?

This has to be one of the MOST COMPREHENSIVE and EASY TO FOLLOW guides out there for budding Category Romance authors, which makes it pretty INVALUABLE - and I think the very fact that it's written by a woman who has MORE THAN proven her ability to write heart-stopping, page-turning, BEST-SELLING Category Romance time after time says it all!

In a world that can currently blind the new writer with in-depth, psychological, Post-Graduate standard do's and donts and 'you're a lesser writer if you don't at the very least know this' kind of attitude, that will only serve to make the majority of aspiring Category Romance writers suffer an even more difficult writing process than they have to... (When, lets face it, the majority of people who buy Category Romance want a fun, fulfilling, heart warming, optimistic romp of a read - not nine million hidden layers that detract from the heart of the story - which is me the reader speaking now!)... I think the fact that this book covers everything you need to know clearly, succinctly, with humour and without addling your brain makes it worth every single penny!!! So, if you're going to spend your hard-earned cash on books to help improve your writing and to explore the intricacies of this genre then I say make this one, one of them! Just look at the number of people who are now published who rate his book highly... Nuff said...

Plus Kate is waaaayyyyyy more accessible than many of the people out there who have written books about writing books. She will answer emails, host forums, answer questions on the eharlequin boards, post advice on her blog - she even hosts writing seminars!!!! She is one of the MOST PRO-ACTIVE supporters of new writers that I know of and for that she should be praised from here to high heaven!!! Every time I have met Kate she has had words of advice that I have taken with me. Which I thank her for!!!

I don't think anyone will disagree that the Romance Writing Community is one of the friendliest on the Web .... Gotta love this business!

And on a side-note it's a timely reminder of White-Hot! as it's available on the shelves in Australia and New Zealand RIGHT NOW as my first ever Sexy Sensation release! Woo-Hoo! The fact that it has a companion in the shape of Project: Parenthood on the shelves at the same time just makes it an even more exciting month for me!!!

Now all I gotta do is finish off these revisions (and it's finally feeling like I have a handle on this sucker now!!!) and then I can kick back and think about some holiday celebration thats rumoured to be on this month.... Anyone hear anything about that???

2 comments:

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

I ditto everything you've said about Kate's 12-Point Guide. And about the Romance Writing Community being one of the friendliest on the Web - that's why I'm still here, never giving up. I want to become an official member!!!!

Even before the Internet (now I feel like a dinosaur), I met and became friends with a former M&B writer. She too was wonderful. So friendly, helpful and inspiring.

I feel so spoiled now that so many of you are only just a click away.

Congratulations on nearly finishing the revisions, and just in time to
celebrate Christmas too!!

Sue :-)

Anonymous said...

Trish, I had to pop and say thanks. I have a pile of your books sitting in my tbr pile and yesterday i picked up White-Hot. I should be cursing you rather than thanking you but i loved it. I should have been getting ready for a major drinks do here on Saturday instead i got stuck in with Finn and Shane and wept like like an idiot. I couldn't read it with distance admiring your skill - I was too lost in the emotion and the heat!!

Now I must go back to cleaning and decorating but with a big smile on my face.

Cheers,

Liz