Friday, December 29, 2006

Looking Backwards and Forwards

I'm stuck in that interesting limbo between Christmas and New Years when there's actually very little to do... except think...

Which, with me, if you know me you'll know, can often be a dangerous thing...

But not this year. Last year at this time I was still worrying about my decision to leave a perfectly good Full Time Job to write full time. Had I made the right decision? Would I crash and burn in a few months? Could I really live the lifestyle of a starving artist???

But by the end of 2005 there was light at the end of the tunnel...
The Bridal Bet was nominated for an award, then early in 2006 I sold to the Modern Extra line and later, after the award was won, I landed my first four book contract... and here I am a year later looking back on what was a reclusive, but productive year. And I'm quietly chuffed with the decision I made to quit a job I loved so much. 2006 felt like a turning point. (And I sincerely hope I'm not jinxing myself for 2007 by saying that!!!)

I have to admit at this point that I did have a plan when I left my job. I had to have in order to justify the decision in my head. And so far so good. I did what I planned to do in 2006 and now I get to look forward to 2007 and the plans I made for it - or 'phase two' as I like to call it. Because if there's one thing I have learnt from all the ladies I am lucky enough to have had befriend me this last couple of years, it's that you need to have an idea of where you're headed, of what you want from your writing career.... But saying what I plan aloud is always a tad worrysome for me. It's that whole jinxing thing, the tempting fate thing... the fall flat on my face in public thing...

But I will tell you that in 2007 I plan to travel to as many conferences as possible. So I hope you'll all journey with me as my new laptop, lovely christmas present digital camera and I travel to the RNA conference, the RWA in Dallas and the RWAus in Sydney this year.... I'll personally believe it when I'm there... Just seems too surreal for me as of yet...


Meantime, while I'm resting my brain a little for Christmas before I start the Romance title I have due end of February, I am tweaking my longer book in the hope that I can finish it, polish it, and find a home for it in 2007.... which is also a part of the great Dream Plan...

Who knows what 2007 may bring my way... But I'm crossing everything that won't need a visit to casualty to uncross that it'll be even half as good as the year I'm leaving behind!!!

And on New Years Eve I'll be launching my end of year Competition...!!!! Looking backwards at 2006's releases... and forwards to what 2007 has to bring release wise...

3 comments:

Donna Alward said...

Trish, I too have a plan, so no worries. And like you, I'm a little afraid to verbalize it as it makes me sound like an egomaniac...

*takes deep breath* but here goes...I hope to deliver 4 buyable books between now and Dec. 2007.

There. I said it. On your blog.

So proud of all you accomplished this year. You ROCK.

Sue aka MsCreativity said...

WOW, what a fantastic year you've had!!

This year hasn't been great for me health-wise, but in so many other ways it's been my best year EVER!

I'm the biggest jinx around, lol, but I refuse to give in, so I'm going to say it out loud anyway: 2007 will hopefully see me:
1. Accepted to the RNA's NWS.
2. Finishing and completing my first ever full manuscript.
3. Attending my first RNA conference.
4. Completing the fourth year of my degree studies culminating in my first Diploma.

Wishing you another very successful year - you've earned it!

Sue :-)

P.S. Best wishes to Donna too - 4 saleable books is a v. impressive goal (and not egomaniac at all!).

Natasha Oakley said...

And I'm going to be thin! :) I happen to know Trish has bought loads of 'how-to' books already and I'm blowed if I'm going to be twice her size come the Harlequin drinks bash in September.