Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A Confession...

I have a confession to make... It would appear I have a bit of a thing for Superhero's...

I'll try and put it into perspective a little tho - for the sake of my sanity... I'm not calling it an obsession - more of an, erm, avid interest... And something my friends seem to have some problems understanding - so I'm hoping to find some like minded friends among my lovely Blog readers...

I watched all the Superman Movies with Christopher Reeve in when I was a kid, and yes they were corny, yes they got progressively worse as they continued but I still watched them. So when Smallville came along I watched to see what they would do with it - especially when they had Clarke and Lex as friends. I mean, what???? How's that gonna work??? And being as and how as a writer I like to see continuity and character arcs and all that done well, I'm even fascinated by the simpest things like - he never wears glasses... The glasses on =Clarke, glasses off =Superman thing was always a stretch but really, no glasses at all??? And Lois already knows him??? How in hell are they gonna pull all this off???

So, I got hooked in. It just couldn't be helped.

And thanks to YouTube I can even take a break from writing and watch an episode before it gets here... and... oooooohhhh... It's The Justice League!!!! The Green Arrow, Aquaman, Cyberman and The Flash/Impulse... with Clarke... setting Clarke off onto the SAVING THE WORLD path... Watching it was like being a little kid all over again. I LOVED IT. And now I wanna know if they'll have a show of their own??? I wanna know if Clarke will go help them. I wanna know when he gets the suit - how he gets past the glasses thing - when Lois stops hating him and how she doesn't get he's not Superman without the glasses thing (I mean she was a bad advertisement for savvy female reporters before not getting it with the glasses there - but with them not there - c'mon Lois!)

I can safely lay the blame for this avid interest at the door of the writers of this show. They have me sucked in - I mean, right in. Already I've watched some of the things they've done and had that lightbulb moment where I've gone 'Ooooh now that was clever...' Like setting up the premise for why Clarke would never want to tell Lois... or by having Lois get involved with a Superhero once before and having it end badly so we can see the dilemma she might have with someone who would conceal things from her - clever!

That's the thing about good writing universally I guess... After a while you can't help but get sucked into the story. And yep. I'm sucked in. I am officially a fan of Superhero's. And I wanna watch this show all the way to the moment when he first puts on the suit in a phonebox. And just in case I get a vote - MORE JUSTICE LEAGUE - PLEASE!!!

You can have a look at one of my numerous Youtube discoveries here - appropriate music too... That part of the internet has a lot to answer for wordcount wise... And it seems I have Aquaman and The Green Lantern and The Fantastic Four all out in the cinema this summer... Okay... No rest for the wicked they do say...

No comments: