Tuesday, January 2, 2007

First Days of The Diet Club


Well I'm 48 hours in now and I have to say the de-tox headache is marginally better than it was last night... Which is helpful I feel...

If you've been over to The Pink Heart Society's launch of their Writers Diet Club, you'll know that we're all taking different approaches to this - whatever it is we feel will work best for us and our lifestyles... So, I've gone with the GI Diet and a heavy exercise programme...

Now - there are several reasons for this. To me, GI looks like a fairly healthy option. It's a lifestyle eating choice change if that makes any sense at all. And thats the way I feel I have to go about now, cos since I took up writing full time it's been fairly damn noticable that my energy levels have dropped, pretty much to the floor just before Christmas as it happens - and I HATE THAT!!! I hate the feeling of being tired all the time - even when I sleep lots. I hate my head being all fuzzy. I hate relying on caffeine and pro-plus to get me through those few weeks before deadline... So I need to look more closely at what I'm throwing into my cake hole... And I know that cutting carbs a-la-Atkins had dramatic results for me before - BUT it also made me ill. So I'd already been conscious of my fibre intake and have lost my love for bread and potatoes that I had pre-Atkins... So GI makes sense for me. Hopefully.
Though, I should warn you that if it doesn't work I'll be back here to gripe about it pdq...

So that's what I'm following eating wise - along with drinking a tonne of water every day (why oh why is that such a damn chore???) - and converting myself to all things de-caffinated (the real test of my resolve for that one will come mid-February when I'm back in the deadline cave, trust me!)... So that just leaves me with the exercise part... Shudder.
Last year I forked out for a Swiss Ball if some of you remember.
Which was part of the Gunnar Peterson Core Secrets Training Programme so it came with lots of nice DVD's to play with. DVD's full of happily smiling, disgustingly well toned beings who just end up looking vaguely smug after the third time you watch them btw...I managed it for a while and was seeing definite progress (despite visiting neices and nephews who nearly pee-d themselves with laughter when they watched me through a window) but at some point it kinda fell by the wayside as I got buried again and again and again and, erm, again, in the cave... When the ball then became a useful foot stool/leg prop...

So it's now having to multi-task again I've inflated it properly (it was comfier as a foot stool with a little air let out), dusted off the DVD's and dug out the hand weight thingies... And there is the added bonus of getting to look at Gunnar for twenty minutes a few times a week again... Call me shallow...

But as I quit it so fast last time I decided to vary my forms of exercise so that I'll be less likely to quit. I just think that the same exercise day after day after day after, erm, day will bore me into a jelly like state of brain mush. So I've lumped for Tai Chi to help loosen me up a little - it's low impact and works all your joints which should help me to not strain anything to the point of Chiropractor visits again (it's an age thing - everything is so much harder to encourage into the zone of muscle memory and much easier to get to the zone of major muscle pain than it would have been ten years ago...) - but I foolishly believed it wouldn't be that hard to do... WRONG. I did my first session today. The moves were easy enough and made sense and all but I did end up sweating by the end of the half hour... Note to Self: Next time turn down central heating and wear a damn t-shirt!

Then there's walking. I used to do soooooooooooo much of this in my last job that I'd probably have made a pedometer implode. But not now. Now I sit on my Writers Butt for hours upon hours.... I'd be lucky if I even put said pedometer into triple figures on a daily basis. So, seeing as and how the family dog appears to be fifty stone after Christmas left-overs, on a few days a week I will strap the pedometer on and get out into the fresh air... I'll let you know what the recommended 10,000 steps feels like the following day...

I've also invested in a Lateral Thigh Trainer. Yes, I know, stay away from the TV Shopping... But again, this one makes sense to me.... It has a choice of either an aerobic workout or a slow toning workout (with more resistance) and it works thighs, waist and - wait for it - BUTT... Therefore attacking the one place I'm keen to make the biggest change, right??? It's also small. Which means I can set it to one side of the room and not have to rearrange my life to get around it. However, it also comes with another set of DVD's... I'll let you know how irritating those people are when it gets here...
Did I mention yet that I have a really cool itty bitty MP3 player with actual headphones that stay on your head rather than pop out of your ears every five seconds - so that I can listen to nice bouncy, fast music to get me through the walking and the other stuff once I've learnt what I'm sposed to be doing??? Nope, didn't tell you??? Just you watch me dig out the salsa stuff... And possibly pull the curtains in case of impending laughter...
The one workout I won't be able to use the itty bitty MP3 player for is the one I'm looking forward to the most... Yes, the gal is back in the saddle again... And her horse has been paying back her lack of attention to him by trying to dump her every time she sits on him. In fairness, he is feeling a bit good of his wee self. And there was the small incident of the storm that blew off his stable roof in the middle of the night while he was still in the stable - that may have spooked him a little... But I know him well enough to know when I'm getting attitude. So we had an hour and a half's Show Jumping session yesterday and I could barely move today (hence the Tai Chi to loosen me up) and tomorrow we're doing some flatwork. Now for this activity I should have muscle memory. I really should. I was fairly saddle fit for a long while at one point. But its been a loooonnngggg while. And that horse of mine is strong. So - I think I may include a weekly chiropractor MOT to the mix just to be on the safe side...
And then when I've loosened up sufficiently I'm off to the Gym. In Public. Gulp. But they have a swimming pool. And I LOVE to swim...
Think that should cover the exercise bit, right??? Something different every day to keep me interested and to work different muscles is what I'm aiming for. And a goodly selection of things to get me outdoor into the open air away from the keyboard so that my brain can have a rest. Cos light is good for you too, right???
I'll let you know when I can't move anymore, okay??? And the second my scales and measuring tapes arrive I'll let you know my weekly progress... with a counter thingie too...
So, that's my plan for the foreseeable. Feel free to let me know how you're getting on with your own plan if you're joining in... And don't forget to check in with Jenna and Natasha to see how they're getting on too!!!

4 comments:

Natasha Oakley said...

I need to go and have a lie down just thinking about all of that.

I've watched my *one* exercise dvd twice now - does that count? And just eaten 4.5 points for breakfast ....

Trish said...

Someone on the PHS Diet Club this Tuesday said that they ate more of their points for WW first thing and early on when they were hungrier... Thats the same as you isnt it??? See - not alone...

And I'm fairly sure just watching the DVD doesnt count babes... I'm hurting SLIGHTLY less today if that encourages you any! AND I even added my ticker thingie...

Now off to do my walk while the rain is off...

Janet said...

I fancy getting a lateral thigh trainer. PLease let us know how you get on with it. Does it burn lots of calories too?

I thought I could use one while I watched the TV soaps. I have an excercise bike in an upstairs bedroom but there's no TV in the room and it's so boring being on the bike --- we now use it as an expensive clothes horse!

Natasha said...

I can't believe you've added a ticker thingie. I don't even want to think how far I've got to go. Aaargh!!!