Thursday, March 15, 2007

Emotion, Emotion, Emotion...



This week over on The Pink Heart Society Yahoo Loop we've had Waldenbooks Best-Selling Presents Author, and I'm priviledged to say - good friend - Kate Walker - as a guest. Kate, who is author of the 12-Point Guide to Writing Romance has been hosting a Q&A as part of the PHS FinDaBoo series and I have to say, it's been one heck of an informative week so far!!!

Currently there's a lively discussion going on on the subject of writing Emotion in Romance. And this can be a tricky one cos it's so easy to fall back on the kind of melodrama that critics of the genre love to slam it for. And all the talk on the loop had got me to thinking about how I approach it....

I have to agree with most of the people joining in the discussion - sometimes it's a good sign if you find yourself weepy at the keyboard... And the times I feel like that can't always be put down to suffering PMT while writing, well, not *all* of them...

I guess, without thinking, I tend to pick up on things that just *feel* emotional to me. Partly because I know my characters so well, so I know what they're going through - how difficult it is for them to express a particular emotion or to change their mind about something that they have *hidden behind* for a long time. But part of it is the fact that I think, as a writer, I have a tendency (again without thinking) to use emotions that I, and hopefully my readers, can understand - like fear, or loss, or the agony of what they perceive to be unrequited love. Those are things we all understand - so when a character experiences them during the story it makes sense to us, we understand, we empathize...

And, for me, thats the key - whatever emotions you try to convey in a book have to garner some sense of empathy with the reader. They have to *get it* - it has to be a *believeable* emotional reaction. That and having the inner thought process of a character make sense - following the action and reaction rule - should hopefully make for a believeable scenario. Well, thats the theory...
To join in the discussion or to ask Kate your questions on writing just hit the link at the top of this post for the Group and sign up - you have another couple of days to join in!!! And this isn't the only guest we have - there's plenty going on there - including an online party with a group of authors who write for BLAZE at the start of April!!! I can't wait for that one myself!!!!

Meanwhile - my revisions are in - so I'm off back to deal with my characters emotions again...

1 comment:

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying the emotion in Breathless! I've been behind with my reading the past couple of weeks but I'm back on track again now.

I've just finished Chapter One of my WIP so I'm now going to treat myself to finishing your wonderful book.

Sue :-)