Friday, April 6, 2007

April Writers Contest

Okay so here we go...

I've had a while to think about this one to try and keep it as fair as possible and to judge it on potential rather than some random name-out-of-the-hat plan...

Now remember that I write for Romance and Modern Extra so those are the kinds of stories I'm most likely to be any help with. What I'm offering as the prize is to work with you on ONE manuscript of the 50-55k length in between my own deadlines. I won't attempt to change your voice!!! I'll just look at things like flow, conflicts, character interaction and the development of the romance. And if you hit a major no-no that I know won't work for the lines at present then I'll point them out. It doesn't matter what stage the manuscript is at - whether it's finished or a WIP - BUT I don't want to work on one that is currently under consideration with a Publisher please...

So what I'm gonna do is this - you have until the end of the month (30th April) to email me your synopsis telling me the general gist of your story - the line you're aiming for - and whether or not the work is finished along with the first three chapters so I can get an idea of your storytelling...And I'll pick a winner by the end of the first week of May - okay? That way the winner is being judged on their work and you have a few weeks to polish everything up nice and shiny...

In the meantime I'll do my best to do some more Writing Workshops here on the Blog, though I can't guarantee how frequent they'll be while I continue in the wordcount war (a war I'm currently losing btw!)... But I'll do my best... Any questions you have can be asked here on the comments and you can email me your entries through the website's contact link. If the contest proves popular then we'll try and make it an annual thing, okay???

7 comments:

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

TRISH!!! Thank you so much for running this competition. I confess for a while, back when you first mentioned it, I thought there'd be no way I'd be ever be ready to enter.

Now I'm about to jinx myself... I've just finished the first part of Chapter Three and I'm confident that even I'll have three completed chapters by the end of the month. PHEWWW! :-D

I have a question already (you can always count on me for those [VBG])! Would you like our entries as one attachment or two (i.e. the synopsis in a separate document from the chapters)?

Good luck with your word count war. I'm in an undeclared battle too at the moment now Gray's started his WIP. Even though his Historical is 80,000 words I bet he'll still end up beating me!!

Sue :-)

P.S. Wishing you (and your readers) a wonderful Easter weekend!

Trish said...

First up WELL DONE for making SO MUCH PROGRESS!!!!

LOL to the questions... Yes please, seperate attachments would be fabulous!!!

And am so pleased to see Gray's project getting off the ground! Tell him I said ALL THE BEST!!!

Rachael said...

Wohoo - I can finally post again (I hope). I'd like to echo Sue's thanks and let you know, my entry will be landing in your inbox soon!
RACH!

Trish said...

yaay Rachel!!!

The more the merrier!!! I LOVE talking and working with writers starting out on the journey. It's not so long ago I was there and the enthusiasm is infectious!!!

Reminds me how incredibly lucky I am to be here!!!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Trish what is the maximum amount of words/pages we can send you for the synopsis? Does it have to be a 2 page maximum like M&B ask for?

Janet

Trish said...

Hey Janet!

Glad to help!!!

Well two pages would be preferable for the practise but if its slightly over I'll not worry anymore than Richmond would... ;)

The main thing is to give me the gist of it...

Am already getting entries and MAN this is gonna be a tough one to choose!!!

Marcy said...

I am soooo excited about this contest, Trish! Off I go to polish up my synopsis.

Hope you have a great Easter weekend!

Marcy