Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Word Count War Update


Well up until yesterday I had the grand total of about 600 words on Letting Loose - go me - NOT SO MUCH... But hey, it was EASTER and the SUN WAS SHINING! Gotta get it when you can in this country I tell ya...

But with Ally on holiday (and hopefully *not* writing) and Jenna writing up a damn storm... I had to try and make some headway, didn't I? Though I have been plotting and researching more that I can honestly say I've ever researched for a single book before... So that was something, right???

So, so far I have researched:

  • Dublin streets and locations

  • Posh hotels including Adult Hotels... (all will become clear - trust me!)

  • Interior design and architecture

  • Tantra (its a Modx - okay!!!)

  • Names of Rock bands from the late seventies/early eighties

  • Vintage clothing
See - hours of fun! And all of it necessary... Cos I then put on my nice theme tune and started writing... and today I have managed to leap the wordcount up close to 5k... ha... ahahahaha!!!

And this story is a BLAST to write. Controlling the characters is proving the only difficulty. They're both smart and funny and equally as strong minded. And I'm LOVING that. I can say without any reservation that Merrow is probably the fiestiest heroine I've ever written...Really she is. And the story is becoming much less about big dramatic emotional conflicts and more about the modern day conflicts of a modern day couple... from very different backgrounds... whose friends and family won't necessarily mix well together...

Oh. And my heroine has goldfish issues...while Alex has a cat...

Doesn't bode well does it?

Meanwhile their song is playing and egging me on thanks to Gary Barlow and Take That who are up to the chorus while poor Alex is still in denial:

Yeah

Cos you’re not the one I need.
You’re just the one that I want
Makes perfect sense to me
Cos you’re not the one I need
But you’re the one that I want
There ain’t no sense in love.
Ain’t no sense in love

See the poor guy honestly thinks that he needs a different kind of woman to compliment his life... Poor, poor misguided hero...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I nearly missed your competition! In Jan 23rd blog it sort of said we have until May (see below)and I'd been planning my writing schedule to fit in with that. Eeek! Major panic to finish the chapters now. :)Joanne

"...maybe run it after my Rescued: Mother-To-Be competition which will run til the end of April??? How does that sound folks??? And that gives you guys until end of May to enter if you want to and I can crit the winner before I go away at the end of June....???"

Anonymous said...

Sorry--i meant to say I thought we had until the END of May. (I know we have until May if dealine is end of April :) ) Joanne

jane said...

Hi Trish
Million thanks for your lovely encouraging reply!! I was targeting the Modern line but now, having read lots of Romance novels am now trying a Romance. I'm 20,000 in but it is terrible stuff but 2 or 3 things have come out of it and, bearing in mind the advice about knowing your chars I have worked something else out which I think is much better. I'm doing loads of reading and the rereading, making notes, analysing. So once the kids are back at school it's bum on chair and get on with it.
Love Jane.

Donna Alward said...

Trish, you can help me by keeping on with the posting of the hero pics.

Jeebus, that man's hot. :-)

Trish said...

Hi Joanne - yes, you're right - MY BAD!!! Thats what I get for running the Rescued: Mother-To-Be contest early and then getting swamped with yukky revisions... I got a tad confuxed...

But I'm a confident woman and I can admit when I've made a mistake... ;) Well - I can cos I'm going to get chocolate any second now...Easter eggs are on sale...

I'll make an announcement on Friday when I do the writers thingie that I'm extending it.... But will I mess you up horribly if I pull it forward a week from the end of May???

I'm reading these as they come in - in between writing myself - and I want to make sure I'm getting cleared up BEFORE end of June cos June is gonna be a tad frantic. See this is what happens when I don't think ahead??!!! I'm now in the UK for a long weekend for a very very good friends book celebration and then last two weeks of June will be frantic packing, and waxing, and spray tanning and hair tinting... oh... and at least a dozen other things it wouldnt occur to me to do when I spend my days in the company of HORSES...

Remember now - it's just the partial at this stage.... three ikkle chapters folks.... and a synopsis... You dont have to have finished the whole thing...!!! (Which kinda goes against the finish the book before you sub thing but hey - its me!!! If I pick your ms then I'm happy to work at your pace...no matter what that pace may be... If we can have it finished by next years comp then I'm fine with that...oh and if I can still make my deadlines my ed will appreciate it...)

So lets say I extend the date to - erm... *off to look it up*....26th May??? Thats a Friday... and that gives me a coupla weeks to read the last ones that come in before I head to the UK...???? Huh? Huh???

Now off to get chocolate and then I'll come back and talk to the lovely Jane again... Are there any two better words that CHOCOLATE and SALE in the same sentence???

Trish said...

I'm back. And in the car I decided there *are* two better words in the one sentence than *chocolate* and *sale*... there's *chocolate* and *free*... unfortunately the shop didnt have the second option...

Jane would it help any to know that at least two of us in the Romance line right now originally aimed at the Modern Line??? In my defense I was naive and dumb then and had no more of a Modern voice than I have a resemblance to Claudia Schiffer... (unfortunately...) But thankfully the eds knew what they were are and steered me firmly over into what was then Tender Romance! It meant losing a large chunk of bedroom action mind you bu the book still held a very sensual edge to it I think...

And we ALL think we're writing 'terrible stuff' on at least one occassion as we work on a new book. That sensation never ever leaves you... And even now I'll read back over some of my earlier work and CRINGE at certain passages or lines or phrases. Quite often we're our own harshest critic! And hence why we can be a paranoid bunch... we blame the whole artistic talent thing - and so far no-one has cut off an ear - so we're slightly ahead of artists, right???

Reading and learning is the best place to start. But don't be afraid to think 'outside of the box' either! If someone reminds me later in the month I'll try and think up a set of extreme cases of unrealistic plots and I'll chat some about *hooks* and *themes* if that'll help any... okay? You may need to remind me tho...

Now am off to play with Alex and Merrow some more now that I have my chocolate... LIFE IS GOOD...

Trish said...

Ooooh Donna! If you think he's hot on my blog you should *see* him on the page!!! TRUST ME!

And I have waaayyyy more pics than this... Can anyone say swimming pool?

jane said...

Trish
I'm thinking I could enter your competition, if it is hopefully towards the END of May!! Off to Wales now till the week end but I'll come back and catch up on what's happening
Jane.

JENNA said...

I didn't write for Sunday (Easter extravaganza for this nice Jewish family) or Monday (kindergarten overload). But I have a sneaking suspicion about that Ally Blake. She is too smart to be trusted. Watch her pop in with half a book!