Tuesday, May 1, 2007

What A Difference A Year Makes

I'm feeling somewhat reflective today just so you can't say you haven't been warned...

Remember this little chap? He was the very first home bred foal we had at the family homestead and we were all chuffed to bits with him when he arrived. A little by surprise we had to say - cos until his Mum actually had him we had a bit of a pool going as to whether she was or she wasn't... Yep. Nothing like an actual foal in the stable to know she was.

Well today Dougal is one year old. And my-oh-my what a difference a year has made!!! And for any of you that don't keep horses or ponies - lemme tell you - this little chap would disprove all those people who think they don't have individual personalities!!! He's what we in Ireland term a good wee soul. But he's also a bit of a mischief. And not entirely convinced he's not a dog. That'll be a touch of that 'spoiling the first foal syndrome'. But evey day spent watching his antics just kinda makes you want to go spoil him an ikkle bit more.


He's gone from the itty bitty teeny weenie foal who - when he first had his feet trimmed - lay across my lap while I sat on a bucket; his ikkle feet dangling off the ground so the farrier could file his hooves (and it was a first for the farrier too! Who had to do it kneeling down and who then took pics with his phone cos it was the first time he'd ever worked on feet that could fit in the palm of his hand!) To a bit of a brat whose favourite game is seeing how far he can drag you along a laneway before you get fed up and call him names...

He's learnt that the family dog is very easily chased out of a field - that magpies play 'you're it' very well - and that rabbits - well, he hasn't quite figured out WHAT a rabbit is yet. But he knows to run away when the rabbits guinea pig friend squeaks at him...

Yes, he's quite the big boy now. And isn't he handsome??? Even if he is finally shedding his foal coat and looking a little bit like an old rug during the process...

And looking at these pics from last year til now has me reflecting on the marking of time. I do get pensive every now and again I guess. It can be measured by the seasons, it can be measured by each christmas or birthday that passes - it sure as hell is being marked by the size of my neices and nephews - and it's also marked by ikkle Dougal growing up.

This time last year I had just sold my first Modern Extra White-Hot! and I was getting dug into writing Rescued: Mother-To-be.... I had been writing full time for seven months and was still wondering if I'd made the right decision... The PHS hadn't been started and I had yet to *meet* so many of the great friends I now have a year on. And all in all, despite the low points, or the times when a book caused me more mental anguish than I would have thought possible and I considered quitting, or when the crows of doubt were flying high and I wondered if I'd still be here a year later, I think it's been a pretty good year. I have no regrets. And I don't think I can ask for too much more than that, can I really?

Told you I was feeling reflective!!! I DID warn you...

So I leave you with a pic that just sums up one ikkle personality. The minature shetland that took my mind off the loss of my lovely horse Katie the month before he was born; reminding me of the cycle of life...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUGAL!!!

1 comment:

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

A fantastic year all round I'd say!
Gorgeous pics Trish, thanks for sharing.

Sue :-)

P.S. Happy Birthday Dougal!!!