Tuesday, May 8, 2007

When Writing Becomes Work

I'd so like to be this little guy about now...

Cos I'm soooooo tired! The revisions for Letting Loose are away (I worked all night to get them done and managed my last read through by ten a.m.) so have slept like a sloth all day and now have to try and motivate myself to get caught up and back to wrestle with Gabe...

Have to say that going back to do the revisions on Merrow and Alex's story wasn't as clear cut as I'd thought it would be. Which at the time worried me - cos the book was such a dream to write. And it wasn't that the revisions were all that hard or involved... But after a quick chat with Natasha, I discovered that she was right - I'd already mentally *moved on*. It's one of the reasons I've never been able to work on more than one book at a time - once my head shifts, it shifts - and I almost become emotionally detached from the one before. Even while working on the revisions I was catching little insights into Gabe and Ash' s story that I hadn't thought about and the temptation to go work them in was HUGE. So I guess, for me, once a story is told it's told, the creative process is the most fun for me, and revisions and tweaks and reading copy edits all become more like *work*...

But then at that point I become a hyper critical reader too I spose - and no matter what - every time I get the story in book form; it reads differently - there are (thankfully) little portions where I think 'hey - you know - thats actually not bad...certainly nowhere as sucky as I remember'...

Chatting with my sil she said it would be like her reading a book and then reading it over and over and over. And you know, she's right! I have to read a manuscript anywhere from 6 to 8 times before it goes to print. So imagine that - imagine a book you've read, even one you've REALLY enjoyed - and tell me that after reading it eight times in a row that it doesn't start to lose *something* - I dunno - a sparkle maybe? Some of the excitement? I know I have keepers that I can read again and again - but I sure as heck wouldn't sit down and read one eight times in a row...

So there is a point when writing becomes work. But there's just such a buzz at the creative stage that you kinda don't mind so much. And the great advantage of completing the *work* stage on one is that you get to move on to that buzzy *creative* stage again with a new one... So back to Gabe and Ash we go...

I've also started the serious planning of my big trip this summer (hence all the mad amounts of writing at the mo to get ahead)... I'll tell you more as I confirm it - but suffice to say that having been in the cave for this long, I'm a mixture of excited, petrified and downright 'rabbit in the headlights' about it all...

Right - I've had a nice CSI and erm... more CSI night... so am gonna sleep some more and then read some more contest entries and then se what I can add to Getting Even until my lovely Editor comes back to tell me my revisions sucked...

2 comments:

Donna Alward said...

It is one of the reasons why despite the angst of waiting, having a couple-three weeks before revisions works for me...when it comes back I've moved on, which means I read the old ms with a clear head and see things I might not have otherwise.

Anyway have a rest! You've earned it.

Sue aka MsCreativity :-) said...

Well done for finishing the revisions :-).

I must admit that's one thing I'm dreading if/when I finally write 'The One'. I'm going to be so sick to death of having revised and rewritten a million times before I've even submitted, it'll be painful having to revisit it again!

Then again, there's something about the word 'work' - I'm hoping that I'll feel energised because, at this moment, I still can't imagine my writing ever becoming 'real' work!!

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your summer plans (but so not looking forward to you reading the contest entries ;-)).

Sue :-)

P.S. Your revisions won't suck.
P.P.S. I ditto Donna - have a rest, you've earned it!