Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Back From Lincoln


Well I'm home again and can honestly say I had a fantabulous time!
I've never been to Lincoln before and d'ya know - it's probably exactly as people around the world would expect an English town to be - particularly the older section of the town with it's narrow cobbled streets and teeny little shops with doors you have to bend down to make sure you don't hit your head as you go in and crooked windowsills and the varying different styles of building from medievel through to victorian. It's a delight! Even with the steepest hill on the face of the earth - a joy to walk DOWN but not so much flipping fun to walk back UP... particularly if you went shopping with Natasha Oakley and Abby Green on the Saturday and slaughtered the shops; therefore carrying MUCH additional weight on the way back up (most of it in the form of SHOES)

Abby and I both flew from different ends of Ireland to meet Kate Walker and her lovely husband the BM on Thursday and spent a night talking books and writing and heros over several glasses of wine and a nice meal and then on Friday we travelled to historic Lincoln where the view from my hotel room was dominated by the stunning Lincoln Cathedral... (the bells... well... they were lovely - but let's just say I don't think I could live next door to them full time) We took time to settle in and explore a little (traditional ice-cream shoppe facing hotel - YUM) and met Natasha my roomie and settled in some more as the rest of Kate's guests started to arrive. Then we headed off on a guided Ghost-Walk tour of the older parts of the town before taking up a huuugggeeee table in a local Italian Restaurant for dinner - where we all foolishly ordered starters and main courses. The starters were HUGE and it meant no-one could finish the main courses and let's just say we all rolled back tot he hotel... And yes, I wasn't kidding about the talking part - cos then we took over the hotel foyer lounge with the lovely Biddy Coady and her man and we talked and talked and talked some more until I had to go outside to call my cat over my mobile phone (LONG STORY) - and then we talked some more...

Saturday the breakfast room looked like a who's who of the romance world - Julie Cohen took a VERY WELL BEHAVED baby Nate round the tables to meet everyone, we talked Figs with Michelle Reid and her lovely hubby, Kate did the rounds and organized what time everyone should be gorgeous by and then Natasha, Abby and I went shopping... LOADS of second hand book shops on the hill on the way down into the town centre and did I mention the SHOES??? I came back with FOUR PAIRS... and I'm officially hiring those two as my personal shoppers from here on in - they're my very own Trinny and Susanna now. After a delicious lunch in the sunshine by the river and an-it-almost-gave-me-a-heart-attack walk back up the hill we had some time to chat to Michelle Styles and her super daughter (who loves horses) - we saw Linda and Maddie from the Richmond M&B offices checking in and played spot-the-author for a while before heading up so I could rest my puffy bad leg before we beautified ourselves for the big event...

And THAT I'll tell you about tomorrow...

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Aaaahhhhhh that hill!

Trish said...

I KNOW!!!!