Friday, June 15, 2007

More About Lincoln & Shoes


Oooh, now where had I got to???

I'd left you at the point Natasha and I were beautifying ourselves for the main event, hadn't I? Well, naturally that took about five minutes...

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry - had a moment there. Anyway, once we were beautiful we headed downstairs to find everyone arriving and Kate looking truly stunning in all her finery and the most drool-worthy pair of shoes! We then meeted and greeted the likes of Jacqui Baird, Susan Stephens, Kate Hardy, Abby Green (again - swear - that gal is EVERYWHERE), Michelle Reid again, Julie Cohen again, Michelle Styles again, India Grey (who is entirely too beautiful to be let out I feel and along with her handsome husband I'm laying lots of money on their kids being beautiful on a whole new level hitherto unknown to mankind), Linda and Maddie from the London Editorial team (and can I just say to any Diet Clubbers from the PHS out there - Maddie looks AMAZING - if she wasn't so damn nice I'd have to HATE HER for doing so much better with her eating plan that any of us seem to have managed - her secret? Less food and exercise more - dammit!!!! NOT what I wanted to hear Maddie!!) - anyways it was a whose who of M&B-ers and that meant a queue at the bar and MORE TALKING...

After a very scrumptious dinner at tables sprinkled with gold hearts and *numbered* with book covers from a selection of Kate's 50 titles some of us then swapped tables to meet and greet more of the vast mixture of friends and family that Kate had mixed so well with her writing buddies. And this was a stroke of genius on Kate's behalf - cos she managed to choose people to move that she knew would mingle and TALK - especially after a couple of drinks (can't think *why* she thought I should be one of them...) So I was having just the bestest time and that was before Kate *got me and got me good*. That woman is *sneaky*. Lemme explain...

While staying at Kate's house we all lent a hand to get the twiddly bits ready for the big night and Kate appeared with some little pouches... Opening them she informed me that she had got them as presents for some of her RNA *Virgins* and people she had helped along the way and I said I thought they were lovely - because really they WERE! A selection of hearts in varing colours - some with beautiful patterns inside them, some just the glowing colours of the gemstones... and she then asked *in conversation* which one I thought was the nicest and I immediately pointed at the golden one that looked just like amber... And Kate said yes, she'd quite liked that one too... And then we went back to twiddling...

So I knew the gifts were being given out at some point and I got to smile smugly at faces around the room at the big event when all the wonderful poet friends of Kate and the charming BM gave their poetry readings (which were FAB BTW) and Kate stood up to give her speech... It's just so typical of Kate and the kind of person she is that she started her speech at her own flipping party by giving out gifts to OTHER PEOPLE and I'll admit to having a teary eye when Natasha received her heart... but imagine how I was when she then headed MY WAY!!!!! She said some lovely things and YES I DID GO TEARY AGAIN and YES I HAVE WORN IT PRETTY MUCH EVER SINCE... hence the pic of it round my neck!!! Now I'm no *virgin* (stop laughing in the cheap seats!!!!!) as I've never actually been to the RNA at all - but Kate was one of the very first people I ever spoke to on the eharlequin boards before I thought about subbing my partial for what became The Bridal Bet and I've remembered her advice to this day. AND since I became published she has been there every step of the way with sound advice and a pat on the back or a hug - cyber or otherwise - when it was needed. She's an amazing lady and a very very good friend now. So I wear this heart now as a talisman of sorts - or a badge of honour - and I was touched beyond belief (even with the sneakiness...)- you can see a pic of our hug on India Grey's Blog - and can I just point out how much better I look from THE BACK...

I managed to avoid cameras all over the place all weekend - it's a talent I feel - and fortunate for all those cameras really...

So another very very late night ensued and it was an AMAZING PARTY - if it hadn't been for my darn leg I'd have stayed up all night gabbing but by then both feet had swollen and my bad leg looked like a sausage so off to bed to prop I went... (doesn't bode well for the big trip gang!)

Sunday saw us all served breakfast on huge Kate Walker Inc tables as everyone caught up with the people they had missed the night before and then it was off to pack so we could head back to Kate's for more wine and more TALKING and another very very LATE night...

All in all it was one heck of a weekend and the kind of break all writers need to get together and talk books to reinspire the muse. Yes, we do end up talking work, there's no doubt about it - but you could see people's invisible light bulbs going off all over the place and I even had time to complain about Gabe and have Abby and Kate talk me out of the hole a little - so fingers crossed for that one... I think it should be an annual event myself - the Kate Walker friends and family weekend...

Now three weeks til I travel - EEK!!!! - paperwork and admin galore to do and this book to finish asap and the contest winner to do and and and and... three weeks is loads of time - right???

And just cos I knew you'd all be curious I've shown you pics of some of the shoes I bought... LOVE THEM...

5 comments:

Ally Blake said...

Nice shoes!!! Did you really buy them all????????/ Am so jealous.

And the party sounds like it was just too lovely. Congrats to Kate!!!

Ally

Anonymous said...

What a pair of good little stylists myself and Natasha are!!! And Trish was a very willing victim. Have to say the shoes look even more impressive than I remembered! You'll have such fun showing them off on your world trip and especially in Dallas. Those cowboys better prepare themselves for a blonde glamourpuss Irish woman...!
x Abby

India said...

I am so coming shopping with you guys next time. I WANT THOSE SHOES!!

And I didn't realise you weren't a virgin either Trish (snigger snigger) so sorry that I reported it wrongly on my blog. Am going to send you the photo as it is so lovely and definitely one to pin above the computer for pineapple days!

Natasha said...

'Tis true, Abby, we could make a career change and be stylists. I must say Trish parted with her money very freely! :)

Melissa Leavitt said...

This trip/party sounds devine!

And peek-a-boo slings with a wedge heel, and bead encrusted mules! To die for! Which brings to mind that hill you climbed to get 'em. :)

Nindespin