Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Seeding A Plot


So my good friend Kate often talks about the seeding of a book - you know - where that initial seedling of an idea comes from...?

Well, I thought I'd let you in to where the idea for annoying-boy's book came from... actually not just his story either - cos Alex's story came from the same place.

It doesn't take much you see - sometimes a line in a song, sometimes a scene from a movie - and in the case of these two - from Youtube...Which I'm blogging about today at The Pink Heart Society funnily enough.

So just to let you see the kind of thing that got my mind working we first have one of the clips:

Watched it??? Anyone look at all familiar to you??? Yuh-huh. Now having watched it you'll also have noticed the interaction between these two characters - and THIS became my basis for the kind of relationship Gabe and Ash would have had when they were younger - the seed was planted - then I added and changed things round as my muse directed me. I made them childhood friends - I made him the son of the housekeeper and the groundsman and her the rich brat - I had him rescue her (yes - no seed at all from here for that theme either...) from all the trouble she got into during her rebel-without-a-clue teenage years - and even now, years later when they are *all grown up* I still have a tad of a Superhero thread going in varying ways; not least of which is the fact that Gabe is such a big strapping lump now that he can pick her up and carry her round like she weighs about two pounds... YUM...

Although this was my inspiration (along with the one clip I mention on the PHS) for my initial idea, I've digressed some - and this vid is great to look back on for a reminder of their earlier relationship even if I see them as older now in my mind ... Yup. Seeds can get planted from just about anywhere - it's where they go from that initial spark or flashing lightbulb above the head moment that makes the difference - or in my case digs the hole - maybe I should make Ash look more like Lois??? (Oh - and did anyone else spot Alex in there???) So come on then - am I the only one who got an idea from fanvids on Youtube??? Where was your latest idea *seeded* from - huh? huh? huh? Enquiring minds need to know!!!

11 comments:

Donna Alward said...

My last seed?

Nothing so inspired. It's a rewrite and reimagining of an old plot I wrote a long time ago. And I wanted to write a mediterranean hero so it's now an Italian in Canada. :-)

But I have a cowboy story on the brain that was "seeded" by viewing Josh Lucas in Sweet Home Alabama and then The Princess Diaries, of all things. Which I think could turn out to be really fun.

I could write a story seeded by Apollo and Starbuck, but I know I wouldn't get away with such an abrasive - and abusive - heroine! LOL

Trish said...

Ahhh but where was THAT ONE seeded from??? You need to go back further...

Cole said...

That is a good tube! I even got ideas! Generally speaking though, as you pointed out... I get my ideas from anything and everything. Something just triggers a thought and then its up to me to see if I can get enough 'meat' out of it to make it real. :)

Cole

Kate Hardy said...

Trish, WHAT IS THE SONG?

I need it.

love Kate H (on deadline and countdown to other big blog party and gibbering. Which you probably noticed. I need music and chocolate and music. Heeeelp.)

PS I note your label Smallville - didja notice the rather nice pic of Jensen on my blog earlier this week? *g*

Trish said...

LOL Cole - glad to have helped with the inspiration!!! And I have LOADS MORE where that one came from - TRUST ME... ;)

Kate hun - I shall find it for you now!!!! And yes I saw Jensen... LOVE HIM... but love him on a whole nother level on Supernatural... again - TRUST ME (I Male on Monday-ed him on PHS you know...)

Trish said...

Okay Kate - apparently it's Angel To You (Devil to Me) by Click Five??? So the Youtube gal says anyhoos...

Great track tho!!!

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Trish! Will go hunting...

Off for more chocolate. (Essential anti-crow stuff...)

Trish said...

Hope helps Kate hun!!! Just wish I could help with the chocolate too... ;)

Now off I go to deal with my own crows... Haagan Daz Cookies N Cream anyone???

Kate Hardy said...

It does, Trish - and the CD is winging its way towards me in the next day or two :o)

Pass on the cookies and cream, but I could offer you Dulce de Leche... or their summer fruits one...

PS d'ya ever read your email? Hello to my MX shelfmate for my 25th book...???

Trish said...

Summer fruits???????????????

*blush* answering email now... and also sending blog to other Kate who may well come over and slap me soon...

Kate Hardy said...

Yep, summer fruits. It's very pink
(and the carton in our freezer has a note saying "Mitts off, this is Mum's" for a very good reason!)

Next time you come over to England, you need to go east a bit (and down a bit, if you're in Lincolnshire - up a bit from London). Eat home-made choc-chip cookies and lemon cake, ice cream and chocolate (and yes, they are all possible in one meal). Talk music and books and gorgeous men. Have a dog sprawled over you...

(Bad influence? Moi??)