Saturday, July 7, 2007

Snapshots From New York (1)


There is just SO MUCH to tell you guys about yesterday that I don't even know where to begin!!! Sufice to say it's gonna take both this blog and the series I'm doing at The Pink Heart Society on Tuesday's just to get half of the darn pics up for you to see!!! I've never been a camera nut before - but oh my - when given the subjects to take pics OF then it seems I'm a little manic....

So here's NEW YORK gang - on a blistering sunny day where it hit the high eighties! And yes family and friends I DID put on suncream every hour or so and YES I did drink GALLONS of water (they have guys at the bus stops on the open top bus tour who'll throw chilled bottles of water up to you and you throw them back the money...) and yes I DID put on after-sun afterwards and YES I DID STILL BURN A LITTLE... especially the parting in my hair... (and yes I have now bought a HAT)but man-oh-man was it worth it!
I think I'm in love with New York...

And it's not just that there's so much to do and so much to see and that it's so gloriously eclectic and full of varying cultures and music and dance and has a history so very unique to itself and and and... In fact I dunno that I can explain what it is - it's just - well IT'S NEW YORK.

I woke up ridiculously early - still on Ireland time I guess - so I got up while it was cooler and sent off my book and talked to you guys and had my breakfast (pancakes and maple syrup - YUM) and then headed off on my bus tour. My hotel is only two blocks (yes - I'm learning to speak the lingo) from the Empire State Building and so I donned my sunglasses and off I headed to where the open top bus tours pick up at the side of it.
One grande iced raspberry mocha frappachino later and I'd found it and the picture taking disease set in! Queues at Empire State were mad so I decided to wait til the next day to go to the observation deck (bit scared cos tis very very high up but am told it's worth it!!!)
The bus tour was worth every single cent - the commentary was funny and informative - the sunshine was blissfully broken by a breeze every now and again - the photos ops were erm lets say PLENTIFUL - the sights and sounds were AMAZING (and yes folks the fire engines really do make that honking noise and yes the yellow cabs are everywhere and yes the cops are all tanned and good looking and - sigh - inspiration all around I tell ya!!!) and you can get on and off at any point to go explore a bit... So I decided since I'd skipped Empire to go and do Liberty and Ellis Islands instead....


GOOD CHOICE TRISH!!!

Now when you go to the Blue Circle Ferry line to get across to the two islands there's a park... and there kinda needs to be cos the queue for the ferry's would block traffic for MILES... But the park itself on a blisteringl hot summers day is a delight. There are street performers (these guys who are jumping over a line of *volunteers* were flipping HILARIOUS) and little stands for ice cream and hot dogs and water laced with gold (I'm assuming it was at the price it was...) and you could just sit by one of the fountains or beneath the trees for hours (I even found a nice Irish Draft cross police horse to go and ask the nice police officer questions about. This snorsie is Cannon - named about a police officer who died in the line of duty and he's nine and he's a DARLIN...and helped me to get a fix on nice horse breath and a nudge to keep me going til I get home...)
BUT there's the whole get in the queue thing... So I did - and thankfully made a couple of friends who I chittered to while we slowly weaved our way through the park (WAVES MADLY TO SHIRLEY AND ALISON!!! - Who were LOVELY and let me be a pain in the ass for at least a coupla hours - even when my underwire bra set off the security scanner thing again like it did at Dublin airport...)
The Statue Of Liberty is everything you expect it to be and just so flipping HUGE that you can't help but stare! And with Sean poking me in the with excitement as we went past Ellis Island I couldn't help but think of the Irish who had seen Liberty for the first time after a long journey from home to here. How must they have felt whn they saw her for the first time? I mean, if shes so awe inspiring to someone whose only visiting her and who took less than seven hours to get here then how must it have felt as the sign of a brand new life after WEEKS below the decks of a ship in horrific conditions???? I have to say it choked me up a little.
But no-where near as much as Ellis Island itself did. All those pictures on the walls, all those stories of why people left their homes and I paid for the audi tours of both islands so at Ellis I had the voices of some of the people who had been there speaking in my ears as I walked from room to room. I don't think I'll ever forget it. And Sean was VERY EMOTIONAL.
And yes - along the way I must have had about a DOZEN ideas for scenes in books - there were the fountains in the park for one - and I took pics of the Bride Ships that brought brides to Ellis island too cos that was FASCINATING!!!
And that's not even the HALF OF IT.... So I may have to come back again - meanwhile I have MORE TO SEE....

8 comments:

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Brilliant! I knew you'd find some people to love up on you!

Note to self...no underwire bra when flying...

Marcy said...

You must be in culture shock, Trish! NY city is definitely a whole new world (cue theme from *Aladin*). But sounds like you're having a fabulous time.

Enjoy every moment (and please keep up the reports...I'm living vicariously through you!).

Hugs,
Marcy

leah said...

you know my throat is so sore.. mum told me to read it out ... and by gosh you wrote a lot!! lol

looks like you are having fun though!! xxxxxxxxx

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks for sharing, Trish - amazing pics. Glad you're having such a good time!

Donna Alward said...

*waves at Leah*

Our Trish can be a tad long winded, but I can't believe she fit all that into ONE DAY!

Lovely, lovely, Trish. I can see how Ellis Island could be very inspirational...I'd have a million stories in my head!

D

Allison said...

Hey Trish!

Shirley and I had a great time hanging out with you in line for the Statue of Liberty. We hope you enjoyed your time in the Big Apple and you have fun on the rest of your trip!

Nicola Marsh said...

Wow, Trish, this is fab!
Feels like I'm there...almost :)

Trish said...

Jenna - yes *sigh* what can I say.... I like to feel I'm getting over my inherant shyness along the way... ;)

Marcy - am I EVER!!!! Talk about a foreigner in a foreign land... tho I have to say apart from having to occasionally *translate* words (took three attempts to get Band-Aids for my blisters - not sticking plasters or elastoplasts but BAND AIDS you understand...) But it's as well I have Sean to PINCH ME from time to time cos I'm having SUCH A BLAST its hard to believe I'm really here...

Leah honey bunch (my NEICE guys and gals so be sweet and BEHAVE while she's visiting...) anyway Leah??? Go get some throat sweets cos as Auntie Donna in Canada knows... there may well be more of this... ;) And yes Donna hun - ALL IN ONE DAY and thats not the half of it!!!! Let's just sy SEE NEXT BLOG for repercussions....

Kate glad you're enjoying the pics hun (reminder to self - send Kate blog for 25th party celebrations on HER BLOG....) - I've decided to just take what I see - nothing formal - and lots of shots that'll remind me of the things I saw and heard while I was here - y'know???

ALISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR POPPING BY - You guys were LOVELY and it was just the absolute best fun I've had in a queue that length like - well - ever!!!!! NEXT TIME we meet IN THE SHADE okay???

Nic hun oh-I-wish-you-were! I tell ya - that's what I'm looking forward to in Dallas is writing buddies!!! I mean - all this and to get to talk books too??? Welllll.......