Sunday, July 8, 2007

Snapshots From New York (2)


So I should maybe point out that these are the edited down versions of the trip you're getting so far shouldn't I really??? You know - just so you don't think I'm lazing around in the sunshine doing NOTHING...

Now - if Friday was hot then may I just say that Saturday felt like the equivalent of LIVING ON THE SUN to this pale skinned Irish lass. My good heavens - any flipping wonder everyone here is so TANNED!!! So with another fairly early awakening (I wonder if I'm better suited to US time??? I've been off to bed at a reasonable hour and up at the scrape of dawn two days in a row now!!! And THIS MORNING its not three yet - but then thats cos I had a VERY early night - keep readin! - and cos my shuttle thingie is coming at ten past SIX...)

Anyhoo I had to go and purchase more sun cream and lots and lots of bottled water and some cream for my leg (keep readin) so I braved a local pharmacy and may I just say - WOW BUT YOU CAN BUY DRUGS OVER THE COUNTER HERE THAT YOU CAN'T AT HOME - I haven't quite decided if that's a good idea or not. But it meant I could buy my leg cream without a prescription so that's a bonus... Oh and I bought an Entemanns cake (sp?) - not so much of a bonus except in CALORIES - note to self: STOP EATING SO DAMN MUCH...


I had great plans of what all I wanted to fit in today but having done so much on Friday and with the HEAT - did I mention it was HOT??? - I'm afraid the plans I had in mind turned out to be a tad ambitious. However I did manage the rest of the tour from the day before - including Soho and Greenwich Village (loved it!!!) and did the full Uptown Tour which took in Central Park, 5th Avenue, Museum Mile, The Lincoln Centre and Harlem to name but a few places! Actually it's really worth doing more than just the Downtown tour cos the differences between the city itself and the neighbourhoods is pretty vast! Not least of all in the differences in architecture in the buildings....

There are so so many influences in New York - yes there are all the sky scrapers and the never ending reflective glass but you can also see some of the older buildings having Dutch and French influences with a little Gothic and Victorian England thrown in for good measure. (nice tour guide did try and impress me with a cathedral but - well - not his fault I saw Lincoln less than three weeks ago - and it's tough to be impressed by an unfinished Cathedral after THAT one) Actually I think it's that eclectic mix of styles that kinda makes the city so charming. And in the middle of it all is Central Park - jam packed with New Yorkers out enjoying the summer weekend! There were even sailors out in their whites walking around from HMS Invincible! Very - erm - scenic...

Oooh can I just say here before I go to Harlem that it's amazing the difference the tour guide you get can make?!? They were all good now don't get me wrong but a couple of them had STAND OUT personalities and the guy on the Uptown Tour was that and THEN SOME and he kinda made the tour twice as much fun with his tales of West Side Story and seeing baseball stars on the subway in the sixties before they all got *better paid*.... and there was the number of times he nearly lost his head on low hanging traffic lights and trees ;) All kinda added to the experience... but for a change I digress...

Harlem was BUNGED with people and a street market and loud voices and music and and and - loved it heaps and would have gotten off for a walk round if it weren't for the fact that by this stage I was bright red and my leg was almost ready for a seat of it's own! It seems to be the heat that does it the worst damage cos I didn't walk anywhere near as much as I did the day before (okay walking sixteen blocks the day before maybe didn't help...)and I was equally as careful about suncream and water and moving my ankle during the trip.... but it did mean that I had to catch a yellow cab back to the hotel to prop said fat leg and put on cream for the rash I'd managed to develop (yes family - same one I had three years ago so I knew what cream to get and its already helpin....) I guess what this means is that I have to pace myself some and just listen to what my leg is telling me. If it says rest then it means rest. And y'know I'm REALLY GLAD NOW that the two Sharons in my home life agreed that doing New York again on the way home was a good plan - cos that way I can still make an attempt at doing the things I missed out on this time.... But I had to remember that this is just the START of the trip and I want to enjoy ALL OF IT... so PACING ONESELF is the ONLY WAY to go...

Have a tonne more pics and snippets from New York (got yelled at and called a *pretty lady* yesterday despite puffy red face and general harrassed by heat look so thats good - *patted guide dog on way past*...) but those pics and all that will have to wait a tad cos this morning we're off on a plane to Washington D.C..... IF I can get internet to work there then I'll do you some more of New York and then on Monday hopefully leg will behave enough to allow me to take a tour of the monuments so I can show you all those... ;) And then it's off to DALLAS!!!
Another good thing btw??? I'm very glad I booked it all this way cos the GRADUAL increases in heat SHOULD help me accustomize... yes New York may *only* have been *hitting* ninety and so humid it felt like over 100 but Washington... (insert hysterical laughter here...) is ALREADY NINETY FOUR.... Pasty faced Irish cave dweller picked a HEAT WAVE to visit in... Yuh huh. NICE KNOWING YOU GUYS....

Hi-Ho-Hi-Ho it's off to pack again I go....
Oh and while I remember - Jenna and I are putting a shout out to you guys for anything you'd like to see us cover from the RWA Conference - so any questions you have or anything you've just ALWAYS wanted to know about Nationals then you need to come let us know before we get there on Tuesday. We'll be covering it every day from the Wednesday (Dallas time) to the Sunday for The Pink Heart Society and I'm sure we'll manage a word or two on our blogs along the way (if not it won't be for the want of trying - okay???) So you have roughly three days for questions gang....

5 comments:

Janet said...

Here's a question
If you go to any talks by Michael Hauge (Identity to essence stuff) can you please take lots of notes and post them on your blog? :) (His screenwriting book doesn't cover quite the same stuff)

Natasha said...

Would you *please* try and convince me I wouldn't have enjoyed myself if I'd come. This is plain mean!

Surely to goodness Dallas will be all air conditioned??? Still raining here btw.

Keep the leg up!

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

My brother is in DC if you need anything. But do rest the leg...you MUST make it to Dallas. I'll wheel you around there if I have too...hey...you could carry all the books and notes and such...

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Oh! Almost forgot. NATASHA - I think you and Trish should both come to RWA next year in San Francisco, and then make an Oregon detour so I can countrify you both!

Trish said...

JANET ABSOFLIPPINGLUTELY!!!! His is one of the talks I'm DETERMINED not to miss!!!!!!!! You may remember I chatted him up a storm on this very blog a month or so ago... wanted to read his How to Sell...book on the plane and couldn't flipping find it before I left... Natasha????? Did it get *borrowed* in Lincoln???

Natasha - convince you you wouldn't have enjoyed it...erm...
Pathetically I can't tell you the number of times I've looked at something and thought - you know... Natasha would have loved that... But that doesn't help does it???

And Jenna I think we should both go to SF Too!!!! And Ally and Nic and Kate and Michelle Reid and Donna and Michelle Styles and and and... gang??? Gang???