Sunday, July 8, 2007

Snapshots From Washington (1)


Gotta say I was glad when the computer thingamy that controlled the STEERING on the plane to Washington failed it was ON THE GROUND... mind you - it did mean we were a tad in the way at the end of the runway for a while and then had to be towed in very VERY slowly...

Actually - also gotta say - worst flight I'd had in a long while. Seats were comfy, cabin crew were grand , tea was passable - good looking guy one aisle up on my rhs passed the time for me while I thought up a story for him... but there was something just not quite right about the cabin pressure and my ears were horrible and I felt queasy the whole way there. But then isn't there something about WHERE you sit on a plane that can effect that??? If there is then SOMEONE needs to come tell me so I can avoid sitting there AGAIN. Didn't like it. Didn't like it at all.

And if I thought New York was hot then DEAR GOD!!!!!!! You could fry eggs on the pavement here! Ninety four degees today! N-I-N-E-T-Y-F-O-U-R. Can we all say third degree burns??? Its as well I bought more sun cream and I tell ya - I'm lathering this stuff on every half hour at the mo - mind you - MAN am I gonna have the tan of a LIFETIME after three weeks of this!!!

So - when I arrived at my hotel it was to find that not only is it pretty much the oldest hotel in Washington DC it's also - wait for it - pretty much NEXT DOOR to The White House!!!
Now, as if that wasn't enough, while I filled in time til check in time with a nice lunch on the roof terrace of the hotel I noticed these helicopters in the distance... three of em... and then one flew away and two kept coming... and I thought to myself - nah, couldn't be... Well, they kept coming and then one turned and I looked around me to see if anyone else would notice if I yelled NO BLOODY WAY. There was, so I didn't. BUT YES IT WAS. And he landed on the lawn at his house pretty much next door while I sat there and thought - really - he didn't need to go to all that bother just to welcome lil ole me...

Did I have a camera? NO. Did I take a pic with my phone? YES but it bites cos I didn't get the zoom right. Will anyone believe me or will this be the fish that got away story of this trip??? Well I KNOW. You lot can debate amongst yourselves.

So to fill in some more time and so as not to get caught out again I went and got my camera and my suncream and my hat out of my bags and found ANOTHER open topped bus tour thingie - this time right smack bang at the hotel door!!! Now - remember I said about how different tour guides could make a difference to the tour? Well - different cities apparently make a difference too! Cos this bus didn't even have a guide it had a recorded commentary - and the drivers seem hell bent on making sure not to stay still long enough to let you take a pic of anything!!! Still, maybe New York just had me spoiled...
Anyhoo it meant I had to take advantage of the hop on/hop off part of it so I got off in the RIDICULOUS HEAT and slathered on more sun cream in the shade of some trees (where Sean made a red squirrel friend called Sam - apparently) and then I went off to do the Lincoln Memorial and The Vietnam War Memorial - the latter of which I was determined to see as for a long time I read a lot of books on Vietnam and was always deeply effected by the high cost for so little gain. And the memorial is very touching - one of my most enduring memories of this trip will be a pair of boots left at the foot of the wall with a simple message written on them...
'I haven't forgotten'

Amazingly touching.
Anyhoo after that I went and stood at Lincolns feet and read all the inscriptions on the surrounding walls and I gotta say the view from the steps all the way to the US equivalent of Cleopatra's needle in London is simply spectacular! And I could see whadyamacallher from Forrest Gump running through the water to him, I really could. Was almost tempted myself in that flipping heat! But the ducks looked kinda peaceful and I didn't know if I'd get arrested so....

But it really was just too darn hot for me in the end folks. And I was starting to burn. So I decided that tomorrow I'll try for Arlington Cemetary or The White House in the morning and then after a spot of lunch (armed with camera this time in case the helicopter reappears) and then in the afternoon I'm going to visit the Holocaust Museum - where my friends Alison and Shirley from the Liberty queue tell me they give you a name as you come in - and you then follow the journey of that name through to the end - where you discover what happened to that person in real life. I really don't think I can skip that. I don't think anyone should from my generation on...
Many many many more pics to come yet and then on Tuesday I'm off to meet Jenna, Fiona and the Eds from Richmond in Dallas - where if things keep going the way they are it'll be about 900 degrees and I'll DIE.
Oooohhhhh for some good Irish RAIN...

9 comments:

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Air conditioning. Girl, learn to love it. See ya Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Trish! You made it and you haven't melted into the asphalt yet! Just think of all our poor famine struck ancestors who made the journey - you'll be grand! And wish we had some of the heat here, you left behind a very wet and soggy Ireland. SO send some of that heat our way.
Go and say hi to Mr. Bush...(!)
x Abby Green

Trish said...

Jenna I already do!!!!!!!!!! When I walk in a door and its there I almost sigh aloud while I hold up the queue of people behind me...

Yup I'm here Abby honey! Though not for long cos I have to scoot on to Dallas tomorrow (Tuesday) to meet the lovely Jenna at the airport... and today I'm not doing Arlington cos the melting into the sidewalk thing? HIGHLY LIKELY IN NINETY SEVEN DEGREES!!!!!!!

sharon w said...

hi trish!!
so glad to hear you are having the time of it. keep up the sight seeing , you can sleep when you get home!!!! if it ever stops raining here i might go and see if charlie wants to go for a walk but right now we need flippers to go anywhere. why did i come home again???
miss ya
see ya soon
sharons

Natasha said...

You know I think I'd be ripe for committing a murder in that kind of heat. Or maybe I'd just become nocturnal. Or never go anywhere were they wasn't air conditioning. But then I'd worry about my carbon footprint ....

Anonymous said...

Trish I've linked you on my - ahem - new website - ahem, did everyone get that?! and have outed you as a very glam, blonde, gorgeous authoress with lovely shoes. SO don't come crying to me when your table cracks under the pressure of all the fans running to meet you. Or, well, actually you can come running to me but it'll be so hot that you'll feel tired...so you'll just have to kill me when you get home!
x Daisy
www.abby-green.com (ahem)

Ally Blake said...

Trish!!! I am so loving these reports. Am feeling exhausted raeding them!!! And empathising with the pale skin sunscreen problems muchly. I believe you about THE helicopter. How cooooolllll!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see what troubloe you get up to in Dallas!

Ally

Trish said...

Hey Sharon!!! You just make sure and tell my Charlie that I wuv him!!!! And feed him something in case he fades away ;) And you came home cos you MISSED all that rain - duh!

Natasha yup - you'd learn to love air con in the same obsessive way I have... walking past doors you tend to go back a step if theres even a hint of it!!!

And ALLY! Glad you're enjoying my sweet! Yes - like me you'll be one of those people that appreciates sun cream and a wide brimmed hat...

And MISCHIEF in DALLAS - Me????

Off to blog and pack and shower - in exactly that order...

Trish said...

OOh Abbey - meant to say - will link to your lovely Website later this week hun!!!

BOUT FLIPPING TIME!!!!!