Sunday, September 2, 2007

Burghley & Stuff


Am having a *miss my horse competition days* day today just so you all know. That's what happens when they put Burghley Horse Trials on the television!

Not that I ever in a bazillion years was good enough for Burghley but I like to think me and Charlie did okay at our own wee standard...

But since I started writing full time, heck even in the couple of years before that when I was writing in the evenings and weekends while I worked with horses during the day (anything from a 40 to a 60 hour week gang! Go ahead and be impressed that I managed to write ANYTHING during that time cos lord knows I look back now and wonder how in heck I did!!!) I've not competed. And I miss it - I do... Though Charlie seems to have enjoyed the holiday too but I betcha if I got him fit again he'd be VERY HAPPY to go play...
And it's not just the dedication required in spending months getting him fit or the concentration in learning a dressage test or the thrill of galloping across a cross-country course or the horrific *stage fright* I used to get outside the show-jumping ring (actually it's DEFINITELY not the latter) I miss most. It's not even the combined elements of One Day Eventing I miss most, or the friends I made or the getting all the varying kits together for each discipline or the bathing Charlie (which he still HATES) to return him to that *other* shade of white he does actually possess beneath the layers of mud and *&%!! and it's not the huuuugggeeeee row we used to have on the morning of a competition when I tried to plait him and he kept tossing his head cos he didn't want to look like a *big sissy* or the number of times I had to slap him at the event cos he wouldn't stand still to have his boots taped on so they wouldn't fall off half way round the course ~ well yes, okay it is I do miss all those things... but I also miss THE SIZE I USED TO BE BECAUSE OF ALL THOSE THINGS...!!!
Writing + lack of competing = weight gain!!!!!! So when Charlie comes in off his summer hols from his paradise of five acres and trees and a nice ikkle river I really must try and organize my writing time to get back on him!!! As much for his good as for mine. He's what we in the trade like to call a good-doer (bit like myself) and now that he's gained a few years (a bit like myself) he needs the exercise more (a bit... well you get the gist...) If I make it for his sake in my head I'm maybe more likely to do it aren't I????
So that's the thought for the day while I clean house and try and get through my monstrous pile of laundry and finish up my contribution for The Pink Heart Society's Birthday Celebrations and send my notes off to lovely competition winner Janet and generally clear the deck for either A/ Flipping Gabe to come back or B/The process of getting ready to write the new Romance line book I have due in end of October - tentatively titled 'World In His Eyes' (not that I'm likely to keep that title you understand) - SIGH. Anyhoo you'll know fairly soon what I'm doing 'cos I'll either A/ Be back here to weep or B/ Come back to introduce a new hero and heroine...

Meanwhile - if you're interested - this Youtube clip from a film is the closest I could find to something to show you how it feels to go Cross Country with my lovely Charlie (and yes he used to start like that and yes there are at least a coupla fences in that course I wouldn't have attempted...)... It's pretty much what we used to do Once Upon A Time... SIGH AGAIN...
And maybe you can tell me what it is you give up in order to make time for writing???

No comments: