Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Ikkle Update

Yes I'm still sick. Yes I am drinking gallons of fluids and attempting to sweat the sucker out and yes, I am a teency ikkle bit brighter today but the timing truly does bite. And I have no patience with being sick. Trust me my darlings...

BUT I thought I'd pop in and let you know and to say thanks for all the 'get better soons' I've gotten and also to say YAY cos my editor sent me a *trigger* this last day or so...

What is a *trigger* you may ask??? Well, it's a bit like a *seed* except a seed is for a story and to me a trigger is something that can send that story off at a new angle or to a whole new thread that can add a new dimension to the story. And if none of that makes sense please keep in mind I'M SICK.

Anyhoos this trigger came from a few back and forth emails wrapping up the Dear Reader and Dedication for the last book and throwing around a few ideas for this new one. And in amongst all that we got round to chatting about Tiffany's - and engagement rings - as one does.... So, being as and how I'M SICK and can only manage short stints UPRIGHT before I have to go lie down and feel sorry for myself I Googled Tiffany's to see what I could come up with. I found the engagement ring I'll use and know lots more about the three c's than I probably needed to, I got a glimpse of the building in Modern Day NYC - cos a gal can't go on 'Breakfast At Tiffany's' alone... and I found what the gift packaging looks like. And THAT was the trigger. Cos from that glimpse of little boxes came a new dimension to Quinn's character and the ability to cause a big bit of a misunderstanding near the end of the book. Not a new story, not really changing what I already know about either character - but a brand new thread - and Tiffany's was the trigger. COOL. Gotta love it when that happens.

And the self confessed daydreamers might like to know that the idea came to me while I was lying in my sick bed bemoaning the fact there's nothing on TV and reading is giving me a headache. And I have slept like a pro for the last 48 hrs so I couldn't get a proper sleep... so in came the daydreaming...

Mind you it also pointed out that I've started the story in the wrong place - sigh - so I need to fix that just as soon as I can stay upright long enough to up my word count some. Hey-ho. Right - back to bed for me again then. Darnnit.

6 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Get well soon!

Tiffany's is lovely. I really rate them. Good things come in light blue boxes. There is one in London as well.

Donna Alward said...

Triggers are also lovely.

I had one the other day and got out of the hole I was in.

Feel better soon hon.

Marcy said...

It's amazing that you can still be creative when you're feeling so sick.

Hugs and feel better soon,

Marcy

jackietoo said...

Feel better! :d

Ray-Anne said...

Sending virtual get better soon vibes. Dream on.
Take care, Ray-Anne

Cole said...

I hope you get well soon, Trish! Sounds like you are getting things done still though... working mentally on your story! =)

Cole