Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Must I???


Well I got drawn out of the sick cave (am now convinced I must have Bird Flu btw cos it's the only thing could make me this pathetically weak...) by first a newspaper article and then a kind of *call to arms* this evening.

Yup. Never a dull moment round my way.

First up the very lovely Abby Green aka my mate Daisy Cummins from Dublin had an ikkle bit of a starring role in The Guardian - go read HERE. (our lovely Natasha Oakley blogged beautifully on it here too)

And hot on it's heels I got a phone call from BBC Radio Ulster to go talk on a similar topic on their Arts Programme HERE (though it won't be live for long so scoot if you really wanna hear it)

First thoughts when emailed and phoned were THANK GOD I don't write erotica if I'm reading out an excerpt on LIVE RADIO at TEATIME. As it was I read from His Mistress: His Terms (available for sale at the Mills & Boon site RIGHT NOW one should add!!!) and it was - shall we say a TAD difficult - to find an excerpt to read that didn't involve, erm, well bodyparts quite frankly... Also a tad tough to find a less than thirty second excerpt that might give some idea of the tone of the story - oh and UNLIKE NATASHA I have NO ACTING experience and you'd be amazed how much you find yourself wishing you'd kept up that reading aloud thing they made you do in primary school... oh and the whole teeth thing/speech impediment dilemma from last week didn't help any either...Ho hum...

Actually all in all I thought it was a more evenly balanced piece than pretty much ANY of this years ones I've commented on here. So I was merely left with that cringe factor you get when hearing your own voice somewhere - or one's own polite PHONE VOICE somewhere I should say. And then there's that kick oneself in the leg thing when you think of all the things you COULD have said. That's the thing about real life and live radio - sigh - NO TIME FOR EDITING.

It's my dream that before I die EVERYONE will understand there is more than ONE set of stories published by Mills & Boon. People do love to generalize. It's like *Cadbury's makes chocolate*. Yuh-huh - they make caramels and fruit & nuts and dark chocolates and turkish delights and truffle centres and...they may still be *Cadbury's* BUT...

You can see where I'm going here really can't you??? Romance and chocolate in the same blog. My work here is done I feel. Now back to the bird flu...

6 comments:

Natasha said...

You did great! And I was proud of you. I particularly enjoyed the bit where Finola Meredith said she loved romance, stories like 'Jane Eyre'. That was a gift. Rochester!!!!!!! Now come on. I mean you have suspend disbelief just a bit, don't you??? Hands up who fantasties about marrying a bigamist?????

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

I'm so proud of you. I would have read the steamiest bit I could manage and then turned to the academic and said -- now does that sound like she was coerced? Sheesh. Talk about phoning it in...eh...don't get me started...

Anonymous said...

Trish I'm a luddite!!! Can't get the blooming thing to play. Can imagine how fabulous you were though, did you have a husky voice and all?! If you have recording keep it...!
x Daisy

juliemt said...

Trish, you were absolutely amazing! Well done. Although, I liked the fact that the presenter wasn't the usual smart alec, that other guest really grated on my nerves.

How dare she presume that all women should share her taste in reading? Millions of women love reading category romance. If you don't - deal with it! Accept it and move on!

Donna Alward said...

I couldn't get it to play for me either! *pouts*

Sure you were lovely tho...I kept thinking, boy whoever's on the other end better look out...our Trish is on the job!

WTG hon.

Trish said...

Thankyou one and all for your faith in my erm... eloquance... and the fact that you all know me well enough to know what it takes for me not to swear on live radio...

I liked when my *opponant* was surprised that modern day women still believe in Mister Right... they do - it's FINDING HIM that's the problem...

But I kinda feel sorry for ANYONE that doesn't indulge in a little fantasy every now and again. How sad must that be???