Monday, December 3, 2007

Writer's Supporting Writer's


You kinda have to be very very deeply buried in the cave to not know about the Writer's Strike currently bringing Hollywood to a standstill and with a seedling of an idea planted by fans of TV Shows they've come up with a somewhat ingenious plan to literally bring the 'point' home to the big studio moguls...

PENCILS.

Yes, pencils to support the writers. Makes sense huh??? They're asking you to donate these boxes of pencils from sustainable forests and then they're gonna deliver them BY THE PALLOT LOAD to the heads of the major studios to show support for their cause. And if being a writer or wanting to be a writer isn't enough reason to get you to fork out that hefty $1 (50p) for a box of pencils in support of fellow writer's then surely as a fan of the many TV Shows and movies we love the fact you may miss out on major plots and developments and even - GULP - the chance of RENEWAL for another season of those shows you reorganize your life not to miss will encourage you to lend a helping hand????
The shows writers and producers are no fools either and add that to lots of time on their hands and an imagination not currently in use and wellllll.... they came up with an incentive or two...

Like writer/producer pairing Gough and Miles who laid down the gauntlet by offering Smallville fans the chance to go into a raffle to get a phone call from Michael Rosenbaum aka Lex Luthor....

And for Battlestar Galactica fans (YES DONNA ALWARD - H-E-L-L-O) Jamie Bamber aka Lee Adama has offered to sign and donate three worn (as in actually worn, not threadbare) towels - which if you're a PHS Male On Monday follower you'll understand the importance of - and other members of the cast such as Mary McDonnell, Tricia Helfer, Michael Hogan, Jamie Bamber, and Michael Trucco have all agreed to make a personal phone call to fans who win the raffles in their names. ..

Other shows to join in so far are Army Wives, Eureka and the Lost executive producers have offered:

GRAND PRIZE: A personal thank-you call from us (Carlton and Damon) AND Matthew Fox where we shall do our bestest to answer your questions about the show's mysteries AND a Season 3 DVD set.

FIRST PRIZE: A signed finale script by writers Damon and Carlton and a surprise cast member!

SECOND PRIZE: Signed Season 3 DVD Set (standard and blu-ray!) by the entire writing staff!

I've already donated my boxes. And I shall let you guess which show I made the donation in the name of ;) But I have to say I'd donate the same again if there was a chance of even a signed pic of Gabe - erm sorry - Tom... or Justin... or Jensen... I'm not actually that fussy...and a tad easily led by a pretty face let's face facts here...

BUT even without that incentive you've gotta remember we wouldn't even have those shows we all love without the writers. Actors wouldn't have their award winning roles without the lines of dialogue to deliver with such flair. And I happen to think if the studios in Hollywood set the precedent of low payment for writers in the new age of technology then ALL WRITERS should be worried - it's a dominos thing... We should SHOW IT MATTERS.

I LOVE MY TV SHOWS AND I LOVE MOVIES and I LOVE GOOD WRITING in ALL it's forms. THATS why I donated my boxes...

$1 for a box of 12 pencils. They'd like to send 1,000,000 pencils. They currently have 410,000 pencils... C'mon. We can help some with that can't we???

Just click on the link on my sidebar or GO HERE and make your donation of pencils and if you name your fav show you can win goodies too!!!! $1 = roughly 50p sterling right now... go on... you know you wanna...

And it's been proved before that these things WORK. Fans of shows HAVE THE POWER to make a difference. First one I know of was when fans of a little know Sci-Fi show called Firefly who, when it was cancelled, began a world-wide campaign that eventually got them a longed for big screen movie called Serenity....GO BROWNCOATS!!!

Then more recently the fans of a show called Jericho were outraged when their show was cancelled after one season. Their answer came from one of the last lines spoken in the last episode. They sent pallet loads of.... NUTS.... pallet load after pallet load... And now??? The show is filming it's second season... NUFF SAID!!!

So it works gang. It really does.

See what you can find on the internet from your sick bed???? And if any of you technophobes out there want the code to add the box to their sidebar to show your support on your own blog just lemme know in the comments and I'll send you the HTML code for your template...

Writer's Supporting Writer's. It makes sense doesn't it??? Well it did to me...

3 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

I think we talked about this in my 'Get-A-Life-Club.'

On the other hand, Screenwriters and TV show writers rock!

Could it POSSIBLY be a fine form
of procrastination I hear myself ask?

Thank you for making me smile :-)
Ray-Anne

Donna Alward said...

I scammed your intro for my own blog yesterday. Hope you don't mind! And yeah, I donated....lol.

Hugs, D

Trish said...

Yes Donna I kinda thought you might donate ;)

And Ray-Anne I LOVE THE NAME OF THAT CLUB and THEY DO and QUITE POSSIBLY... oh and YOU'RE WELCOME sweetness. Anytime!!!