Tuesday, January 29, 2008

It's Official - I Suck

Well it had to come sometime. My first truly truly BAD Romantic Times review. And at a time when I really needed one. Isn't that always the way??? And I don't even have a cover to show you to cheer me up. Am tired, am irritable, have done something bad to my neck, am snowed under with work and I now officially suck. Oh - and if this is my RT Reviewer for Modern Heat and she hates my voice then I fully expect to suck a lot more this year. The joys of writing.

But just to prove I can show you the bad along with the good... Here's the review for At The Billionaire's Bidding aka The Return Of The Rebel:

Two lovers keep running into each other after many years apart in At the Billionaire's Bidding (2), by Trish Wylie. Rumor has it that the building Shannon Hennessey works in has been sold, and she's unpleasantly surprised to find out that old flame Connor Flanaghan is the billionaire who's buying it with plans to tear it down. What follows is a rather dull story as Shannon tries to talk Connor out of demolishing the building by introducing him to all of the people that will be affected if he goes through with his plan. Long on dialogue and short on happenings, this book is a struggle to get through.

Would I feel better if this one hadn't been such a - what did we agree to call it? - Oh yes - A tough one to write ? Maybe. But its just angst upon angst really. Bad reviews = chocolate. But as chocolate = calories in a month when I seem to have become a media darling thats not an option. So am going to do the mature thing and wallow instead. Feel free to leave calorie free cyber chocolate at will. I'll be in the cave with a book thats due in a week and a headache from hell because of what I've done to my neck and NO DRESS for next week... Oh to hell with it...
Where did I leave the chocolate???

16 comments:

Natasha said...

One review = just one person, Trish hun. This is a subjective business. Only thing it means is that your beautiful RT page full of fours and four and a halfs has been spoilt.

When I was acting my flat mates and I used to put the really dreadful reviews on the toilet wall. Kind of felt a good place for them. :) You can't please all the people all the time ...

Trish said...

You're very kind but WHERES MY CHOCOLATE????

And you know out of all that the thing that stings most is the word DULL. I've been called many, many, many things in my time but DULL stings the absolute worst. I'd rather have been told to quit writing than be called dull.

Now feel the need to wear neon flashing dress to cocktail party...

Trish said...

Or bunny ears...

Trish said...

Or reindeer slippers...

Natasha said...

I've eaten the chocolate. It's 4.50am and I'm hungry.

If the rumours about the waiters' attire at the Mills & Boon cocktail party prove even partly true I'm not sure anyone is going to notice what any of us is wearing.

You know, whilst 'dull' would hurt I think the worst emotion to inspire in a reader is apathy!

Donna Alward said...

Leaving Bernard Callebaut Truffles.

And DULL? Perish the thought. You my honey are many things and dull is definitely not one of them. And didn't I just blog about how your little details in this book stuck with me? C'mon, the t-shirts and the movie candy?

One person, sweets, Natasha's got that right. Hugs, wine and choccy and put it behind you!

Ally Blake said...

I ate your chocolate. Truly. I am sitting ehre right now looking at crumbs. Can I sedn you crumbs? Are they allowed?

Ally

Trish said...

The lack of chcoclate is getting depressing... Ally ate the fancy truffles...

Sheesh.

Kate Hardy said...

Sending you a hug. (If you were coming to the RNA do on Monday you'd get just a little bit of posh choc from me - and these work in very small doses, trust me *g*)

Try to put the bad one out of your head and think of all the good ones you've had. And award nominations.

Ray-Anne said...

You now have official dispensation to wallow.
There.
Sorted.
Upwards and onwards.

For those of us who are not yet published AT THE MOMENT it is refreshing to hear that rejection slips are not the end of the road to pushing yourself even harder.
Ah, the joys of being a working contracted author.

Hope your headache and neck ease off enough for you to emerge splendid and goddess-like by next week.
LOL Ray-Anne

India said...

Oh but I LOVED that book, and part of the thing I loved most about it (apart from the glorious cast of characters, the delicious hero, the lovely heroine with mannerisms I swear I could SEE, and that great posh party scene) was the dialogue. Which just proves what Natasha says-- it's all subjective.

Anyway, I'm bringing a Chocolate Orange because they were on buy one get one free in Sainsbury's at the weekend, and I kind of know deep down that two chocolate oranges is too much even for me...

Biddy said...

They are one person sweetness!

I liked that book!

So when we meet for coffee/drink I will buy you chocolate and alcohol... how about that?

Natasha said...

Now we know why India is thin. Two chocolate oranges is just fine. One for now and one in half an hour!

Michelle Styles said...

Did you read the Barbara Vey blog on PW about reviews?
She only does blurb reviews because she is only interested in the synopsis, the rest is up to the reviewer's own personal preference. I like Barbara very much. (And her blog about her weight loss is inspirational btw)

You were reviewed and hopefully the title and some of the synopsis will stick in someone's memory. Maybe the reviewer was coming down with the flu, maybe she had had a fight with her boyfriend etc Whatever, she was just not receptive to your writing on this occassion.

A review does NOT validate your writing. EIther way. It is no guarantee that a reader will love that book. You did not write that book for the sole purpose of being reviewed by the RT. You wrote it for your readers, the ones who get your writing. Your readers love you, so stop worrying and keep writing for that unique subsection of readers -- yours.

Trish said...

You know - one of the best things I ever did this last few years was start this blog!!! How did writers SURVIVE before the internet pray tell???

THANKYOU GUYS! Have had chocolate and a little wallow and a day off (okay so the latter probbaly wasn'y my most genius of plans ths close to deadline but it was a necessary evil -k?!) and am now ALMOST ready to pretend I know how to write now ;)

Will see LOTS OF YOU next week and hug you all in person - run now - and to those I want hers a huge sloppy CYBER HUG. Save it til you need it if you like...

Sigh. Onwards dear friends... into the breach.. every mountain... every cloud... aw heck I forget the rest...

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Is this all to make me feel guilty for cussing you when I read it? I'm not sorry. I hate to cry, you know that.

BUT...sucky books don't make me cry. Roll my eyes, sure, but not sob so hard I send scathing emails to friends who should have warned me they wrote such an intensely emotional story.

AND...the dialogue was sharp and witty in that book, the review was dull and boring. So take that RT!