Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Modern Heat Treasure Hunt!


Well it's my turn for the Modern Heat authors Treasure Hunt! How exciting!!! For those of you that maybe don't know it's a month long competition and at the end of it there's a TONNE of lovely Modern Heat books to be won!!!

FREE BOOKS WITH HOTTER THAN HADES HEROES AND SASSY MODERN DAY HEROINES - How can you resist my friends?????

Just read to the end of the excerpts for my question and when you're done maybe you'll pop over and visit me at Totes, Bags And Blogs today where I'm chatting about Fantasy Men... YUM!
NOW. If you're a regular visitor here then you'll know I can waffle on a bit. AND that I sometimes have a tendency to post long blogs. So since this Treasure Hunt is a celebration of Modern Heat books and I have a busy, busy, BUSY schedule this year I'm using this blog as an excuse to show you LOTS of the books I have coming out. It's also a jolly good excuse to put pics of gorgeous men on my blog - for a wee change.... Yuh-huh. It took a LOT of persuasion.
IT WILL REQUIRE COFFEE. Go - shoo!
Ready? Then we shall begin ;)

Keeping with the theme the treasure hunt seems to have taken and just to prove that I have a fantasy man or two in my Modern Heat books - first up from my March Presents Release in the USA and Canada At The Billionaire's Bidding (released in the UK as The Return Of The Rebel) we have the very lovely Connor Flanaghan. Younger brother to Rory from my May release Her Bedroom Surrender (released in the UK as Breathless! - keep up now!!!)
Connor's story proved a *tough one to write* but he was a bit of a troubled soul for a while.

Fantasy material though, n'est pas???

Excerpt from At The Billionaire's Bidding:

Connor silenced her with a single long finger against her lips, smiling when she froze and looked up at him with wide eyes, “Shush a minute.”
The eyes narrowed.
And he chuckled, “We’ve done pretty damn well to go nearly a whole day without yet another big bust up, so let’s try a little longer, shall we?”
Her head tilted to one side.
Connor nodded, “Yes, I know you don’t think that you’re the only one causing the argument but this time I can say with a good measure of ‘smug’ thrown in – that I didn’t start this one.”
The lips beneath his finger parted slightly.
“And you know I didn’t. You’re only trying to argue with me because there’s something else that you don’t want to talk about. And I get that. Because that’s the kind of thing I normally do.”
There was a small puff of air against his finger as she sighed.
“Yeah, I kinda knew you knew that. We’re not all that different you and me. And if you remember, we used to argue a lot back in the day – only you liked to call them ‘debates’. This is nothing new with us.”
Her eyes softened a shade and Connor knew he was making some progress.
“The only difference is we’ve probably both got more baggage now than we did then.”
And there it was again – that ‘something’ in her eyes. Briefer this time, but there long enough for him to see it while he was studying her so up close. What was it? Alright, so maybe it wasn’t any of his business, maybe it was something she considered very private, but it didn’t mean he didn’t want to know what it was. Thing was, it would have to be dragged from her, wouldn’t it? And truth be told, Connor was getting tired of arguing.
“I don’t know what has happened to you in the last seven years Shannon, anymore than you know any of the things that have happened in my life. But for the sake of the friendship we used to have, I’d like to make an effort to get to know you again.”
This time her quirked eyebrows told him she didn’t believe that.
So he smiled, “You already got one big confession out of me today. And here’s another one; I really have had fun here and it wasn’t just because of the varying – interesting – classes you took me to. It was because for one day I got to forget about everything else completely and just focus on who I was with. So thank you. I owe you one for that.”
“You’re welcome,” The softly spoken words moved her lips against his finger almost like a kiss.
And Connor felt the impact of that one tiny gesture to the soles of his feet. He turned his hand so that he was cupping her chin and still had a finger brushing against her bottom lip, back and forth, back and forth; the softness of her fascinating him out of speech while he suddenly became more aware of the familiar flowery scent that had only drifted occasionally by him during the day.
“Connor-“
She said his name in a soft whisper. One that could be interpreted as an anguished plea for him to stop or an unbidden need for him to take what he was doing a step further.
He chose to believe it was the latter...
Also in March and this time in Australia, from my Sexy Sensation (and January Modern Heat) we have Alexander Fitzgerald from His Mistress: His Terms...
Alex was a DREAM of a hero to write and the kind of guy I'd chew off my own left arm for. He's sexy as get out - confident - funny - sails racing boats for fun... and well I could just go on and on and on and... well I could!
If you've *met him* then you'll know what I mean. And if you haven't YET then - E-N-J-O-Y.
As to whether or not he's fantasy material. Perhaps some of the folks who have *met him* will comment ;)

Excerpt from His Mistress: His Terms:

Alex turned round and looked at her with an expression of amused curiosity, “Now I’m intrigued.”
She pursed her lips together, frowning down at the salad as she sprinkled on sliced black olives, “I did tell you never the twain when it came to our worlds.”
“And I’ve never quite understood what that meant. So how about you explain it to me.”
She glanced at him again from beneath her long lashes, damping her lips with the end of her tongue. Damn it. It would be so much easier to drive the beginnings of a wedge between them if he wasn’t standing there looking so delicious.
Dressed in faded jeans and a short sleeved polo shirt of a darker blue, with the short spikes of his blonde hair a little more blonde and his tan just a little deeper from his weekend on the waves, he was heart wrenchingly gorgeous. And she really, really had missed him.
Her stupid heart had even jumped when she saw him.
And now she was about to point out the monumental distance between their two families. If he was weird about it, then she’d have to call him on being a snob. If he made one of the raucous jokes that her teenage peers had made, she’d hate him a little for it. But either way, it would be the beginning of the end.
His dark blonde brows rose again.
So she took a deep breath and dived on in, “They run a sex therapy retreat. Couples go there to learn meditation, yoga, massage techniques; stuff like that. And my mother is a Tantra Master.”
Then she waited.
Alex’s expression didn’t change. So she waited some more. But when she was just about ready to lift her lovely Greek salad and throw it at him, he nodded slowly and said,
“Okay.”
Her eyes narrowed, “Okay? That’s all you’re going to say?”
“I might need a minute with this.”
She knew it! Of course he was going to need a bloody minute. Even now he was painting a very vivid picture in his mind about the way she’d been raised and about her family, wasn’t he? And he would then move on to realizing how far apart their two backgrounds were. It would only take a heartbeat or two after that for him to realize why this whole ‘playing at being a couple’ thing they were doing was completely pointless. Then maybe he’d see why an affair was the best and only option.
Which would mean he’d see she’d been right all along - so why didn’t it feel good to know that?
“To be honest my mind went a bit blank after you mentioned sex therapy,” When she pursed her lips again he smiled, “Because I was thinking it’s not like we need any of that…”
“I wasn’t suggesting we booked in.”
He reached a hand out and stole an olive off her chopping board, continuing while chewing,
“Some of the other stuff sounded like it had possibilities though. Tell me more.”
What? She stared at him with wide eyes. And caught the spark of gold just before his gaze lowered and he stole another olive. Hang on a minute -
“O-oh, you’ve got to be kidding. You’re getting turned on by this?”
“O’Connell I’ve been turned on since I got in the car to come here. This conversation is just adding to it is all. My imagination is running riot. And you like it when I get creative.”
Merrow was flabbergasted, “None of this bothers you?”
He looked back into her eyes, “Why would it? If anything it explains why you don’t have as many hang ups as some women do about sex. With parents like yours you’ve probably been encouraged to talk about everything and anything and that’ll be part of the reason you’re as confident as you are. Remind me to thank them for that when I meet them.”
When he met them?
He leaned forwards a little, his voice dropping, “Now tell me more about the massage techniques…”
And last but by no means least - yes gang - here he is again. If you're a regular blog visitor here then this disgustingly good looking chap needs absolutely no introduction...
If you ARE new then let me just introduce you to Gabriel Burke - hero of my May Modern Heat Book Claimed By The Billionaire Bad Boy - follow up to my January book His Mistress: His Terms.

Gabe led me quite the merry dance my Blog readers will tell you and yet he's probably one of the hottest heroes I've ever created. Let's just say he was the talk of the offices in London for a while and heaven only knows he's left a lasting impression on me! So if you read His Mistress: His Terms and would like to read Alex's sister's story then there's not long to wait ;)

Excerpt from Claimed By The Billionaire Bad Boy:

“I should have just bought a goldfish.”
She muttered a list of less troublesome pet options as she jogged from room to room in search of Moggie - less rooms would have helped mind you. But Moggie had been thrilled with the large house from the moment his paws left her too-small-for-the-both-of-them-car after Ash decided to drive the lo-ong trip home to Dublin from Paris. And the expansive gardens that came with the 17th Century Mansion of her childhood days were his idea of paradise. The kind of paradise that ultimately brought on the need for the bath he’d just escaped from.
That’s what she got for locking him up in a stable while the party was on the night before.
There was a loud crash, followed swiftly by several muffled curses. Oh good. Now he’d killed someone, or at the very least crippled them. Ash sent a silent prayer upwards that whoever it was wouldn’t attempt to sue his owner just because she had the Fitzgerald name.
She was already further in debt with her father than she’d wanted to be ever again.
Turning swiftly on her heel she ran barefoot along the hall and then stopped dead, her eyes widening in surprise at the sight of Gabe flat on his back - his deep laughter echoing off the cavernous ceilings as he wrestled back and forth with a delighted Moggie.
And she was momentarily stunned into silence. It was the mesmerizing sound of his laughter that did it.
She couldn’t honestly remember the last time she’d heard him laugh – at least not the way he was right that minute. And he really should laugh that way more often she thought; with the oh-so-male rumble from deep in his chest echoing around the vast hallway. Should smile that way; with his blue eyes dancing and his full mouth open and curved so his stunningly straight teeth looked amazingly white in contrast to his tanned skin.
It reminded her of the Gabe she’d known when she’d been a kid. And the memory made her smile at him without thinking. But when he ruffled Moggie’s woolly ears his gaze strayed upwards, locked with hers and in a heartbeat the light in his eyes died and his smile faded.
Of course it did.
Ash rolled her eyes, taking a deep breath before waving the towel held tight in her hand in Moggie’s general direction, “He got away from me.”
Gabe ruffled the dogs ears again, “Who’s a clever boy then?”
“He discovered the compost heap in the garden and rolled in it, so he needed a bath before there was any chance of him being allowed back inside…” And why exactly was she making excuses? “Well, he certainly seems to like you. No accounting for taste I suppose.”
Gabe rolled over and sprung to his feet with surprising agility for a man his size, swiping his large palms down his jean clad thighs to remove some of the water Moggie had covered him with,
“Animals and small children – what can I say?”
“Well there’s always an exception to every rule.”
His vivid blue eyes looked her over from head to toe in an irritatingly intense gaze; sending her pulse rate skipping erratically when he lingered for entirely too long on the part of her shirt that was soaked in against her bare breasts – her nipples tingling into peaks against the material - which just didn’t make any damn sense to Ash.
People who didn’t like other people did not have a physical response to them, not unless if it was a bad taste in the back of the mouth.
He then let his gaze slide down, over the knot she’d tied in her shirt to the bare skin at her waist, down further over the legs exposed by short cut off jeans. And everywhere he looked felt like she’d been physically touched, like he’d actually put his hands there.
But as much as it bugged her that he’d just made her feel that way, she couldn’t help but admit that there was a very basic hormonal reason for it; he just had a very male - well he had a kind of edge – no, it wasn’t that – he just looked so –
Damn him!
She folded her arms across her breasts to hide her body’s reaction as she tilted her head to one side, lifted an accusatory brow and glared at him.
Blue eyes sparkled in challenge, daring her to call him on what he obviously knew he’d just done, then he threw a half-smile down at Moggie, ruffling his ears yet again before he turned round and began gathering up the chairs that had scattered when he was knocked over. And Ash should have just taken that as a good opportunity to grab Moggie and leave. But that would be running away, wouldn’t it? Well like hell.
She was done with running away.

So there we go. And my question for the Modern Heat Authors Treasure Hunt is from the His Mistress: His Terms excerpt - What does Merrow's mother do for a living?

To win the ENTIRE list of books from all the fantabulous Modern Heat authors simply email your list of answers through the Sensational Romance website here (the email link is near the bottom of the page) by the 28th of February. The winner will be announced there on the 29th and all entrants will enter the mailing lists of the authors involved.

Next in the Treasure Hunt is the very lovely Anne Oliver - and can I just say I soooooooo want to be able to enter this!!!!

Next up here on the Blog is a Valentine's Day hunt to find ME as I guest Blog across the universe and then a bit of a hint to the Super Secret thingie I haven't been able to talk about... which also involves Modern Heat ;)

Thanks for visiting! And please feel free to leave a hello in the comments!!!

5 comments:

Kate said...

Hi Trish, I love the excerpts and can't wait to get my hands on all 3 books when they come out in New Zealand! cheers, Katie

Jane said...

Hi Trish,
I enjoyed your post on the Tote's blog.

Trish said...

Hi Katie and Jane and WELCOME!!! I wuv it when new people come to visit ;) Cyber chocolate gals????

Cos the real stuff I'm afraid I don't share... :(

I hope you enjoy the books Katie. And if you do read any of them you have the inside track on how I saw them now. Yay!

And Jane THANKYOU! I LOVE visiting over there and talking men is one of my absolute fav subjects. An occupational hazard I'm MORE than happy to live with. I suffer well through it, don't I???

Donalda said...

Trish, love your site I put it in my favs. I hope to one day sell just one book. You're my idle!

Trish said...

Hi Donalda and WELCOME!!! Soooo glad you like the site and what a compliment!

Keep at the writing! As my dad used to say - you gotta be in it to win it ;) So never give up!!!