Thursday, April 10, 2008

Humph!!!

So there I am with a comfortable lead on Jenna in the Word-count War and I go off for a wee bit of a snooze and I get up just before 5AM to get going again and I turn on the comp and make a cup of tea. When I come back with cup of tea the comp has kindly updated itself with a microsoft update and is restarting itself. Only it doesn't. It gets stuck. And eventually I turn it off. But when I turn it back on it won't. I mean really really WON'T. I can't get past the WE APOLOGIZE page.

PANIC SETS IN.

And no-one else is UP. So I have to wait three odd hours for people to get up so I can panic properly. Why-oh-why is it ALWAYS when you haven't updated to your back up pen that this stuff happens. Five days work possibly lost???? New book disappeared into the ether??? Research notes gone??? I FREAKED.

Laptop went to computer hospital first thing in morning while I suffered the anxiety of seperation. MY LIFE is in that thing. By lunchtime I have the christmas tree down and have hoovered behind all the furniture and cleaned windows and rearranged ornaments... living room is lovely now btw. And by mid afternoon we know it wasn't a virus but a fault with the microsoft update!!!! Needless to say now have external hard drive and are backing up EVERYTHING regardless.

HORRIBLE DAY.

So I left them here:



Going to here:



Where he was feeling like this:


And she was a bit like this:

And even with the computer woes we managed to creep up a little but Jenna is OF COURSE now in the lead!!!




10490 / 50000 words. 21% done!

12 comments:

Natasha Oakley said...

Welcome back!

Donna Alward said...

LOL I loved the pics and "status" report at the end.

Trish said...

Good to BE back!

And lol Donna - glad you liked ;)

limecello said...

Oh dear, I hope everything was able to be recovered - or will be. I don't even want to think about that happening for me. ALL my notes are on my computer. My entire law school life is on my laptop. I can't even think about it because I'm scared that might tip something off.
Also, welcome back, Trish!

Amy Addison said...

LOL on having to wait for everyone to wake up so you could panic properly.

Did you get it fixed?

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Uh-oh...no update in two days...that means she is caving and about to emerge with a whole book! Crikey!

Natasha Oakley said...

OR she's had to do lots of horsey stuff, Jenna. Real life can be so instrusive!

Donna Alward said...

Dude, where ARE you?

Sue said...

Well you have to say, Trish does know have to build anticipation....
Did her PC survive.... has she typed another word... Did boy meet girl...

Shirley Jump said...

LOL about the word count war but glad to hear you are back with the computer working!

BTW, you got tagged :-) Visit my blog and see the rules:

http://shirleyjump.blogspot.com/2008/04/i-got-tagged.html

Shirley

Caryn said...

That's so scary! I'm glad you were able to get up and running again, but I think Microsoft owes you something big for both your panic and your computer repair bill. (Not that you'd ever get retribution, but still...)

Amy Addison said...

Okay, Trish...WHERE ARE YOU?