Monday, April 21, 2008

Romantic Times Award


My second secret of the year can now be revealed seeing the Romantic Times Conference is over and the news is out. Yes - we won an award! I LOVE RT! This is my second Reviewer's Choice Award (The Bridal Bet won Best First Series Romance in 2005) and this one is doubly as sweet cos it means the first one possibly wasn't a fluke ;)

So this time we have won the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award for Best Harlequin Romance of 2007 with Rescued: Mother-To-Be which was a Top Pick back in April of last year... I'm CHUFFED and it's a much needed boost about now...

Which brings me to my absence of late. Now. You know how much this blog and my blogaverse friends mean to me... so how honest do you want me to be here??? Many, many writers keep blogs these days and we share all our good news with you and info on the books we're working on and where we are on the net and public appearances we do... we share tips and talk hot heroes... we let you know what we've been at when we've been on trips and what we're planning et all. BUT we do, as my good friend Kate Walker says, smile from the wrist down. So do you want the low points too is the question? In my experience angst and depression on the net tends to have a viral effect - and lets face it we all come to the net for a little distraction from those things, don't we?! So I'll leave it to you guys. If you want the lows as well then you can let me know and we'll talk about it and maybe share ways to get through it. If not I'm fine with that too. Let's just say 2008 is proving a testing time for me. And that writing isn't a walk in the park. And that being published, no matter how many times, doesn't mean it suddenly gets easier. In fact - its the opposite.

Your call gang. Maybe a little group therapy would help others to know they're not alone? I dunno. But I do know a bottle of wine with the gals and a long talk and some joking about always helped me with every other form of angst in my life. We gals do that, don't we? But you've met me - so you know if I do this it may well be looooonnngggg and involve lots of discussion and thought. So think long and hard about how much you want to know about a writer's life and whether or not you prefer the smiling from the wrist down approach... I know the one thing that has helped this last while has been visiting other blogs and smiling at what folks are up to. BUT if it weren't for the fact I can talk to other writers about how I've been feeling I'd have felt very alone this last few months. Like I say - your call.

I haven't forgotten that the lovely Shirley Jump has tagged me. Shall do that later this week...
And do pop over and visit the fabulously lovely Liz Fielding and my great pal Natasha Oakley who were also honored by Romantic Times last week - the lovely Liz for a Career Achievement Award and Natasha for Best Presents - CONGRATS LADIES!!! (and I use the term lady for Natasha loosely you understand....)

Now - must go and change my blog password before that gets answered...

17 comments:

Natasha Oakley said...

LOL. With friends like you who needs enemies ....????????

You are doing great. One word after the other and the book will get done.

As for the rest, I think I gave up on the smiling from the wrists down thing last year. It's pointless. Personally, I really do believe it's *because* life can be unbelievably hard we need category fiction. They are that little shot in the arm. Reminds us that life truly can become better in a moment and to keep the faith!

Marcy said...

I agree with Natasha. Blogs are not just for sharing the good but also the bad. That's what cyber friends are for!

Marcy said...

Oh my...forgot to say congrats on the RT win! Yay for you!

Kate Walker said...

Congratulations my dear - I'm so glad I can now say that publicly.

Smiling from the wrist down - well I'm very much with Natasha on the why we need category romance. And the more that writers admit that this writing thing doesn't get easier - that in fact it seems to get ahrder as time goes on - then perhaps people will stop imagining us as Barbara Cartlands reclining on chaiselongues (chaiseslongue??) spouting words without a second's thought.

I know how it feels, love and it ain't nice - but it's life - and life with all its ups and downs is the stuff of our fiction.

Hang in there - one word after the other as Lady Natasha says . . .
And I'll try to take my own advice (see - it *doesn't* get any easier!)
Kate

Jo said...

I think, personally, that you should share your problems. A problem shared is a problem halved. I'm sure there will be lots of people out there that will have good advice for you that might help. I'm new to reading blogs and am finally getting myself ready to start writing again after years of promising myself I would (just finishing Open University course first) and I think sharing the bad as well as the good makes us all more human. Then we can all go pick up a heartwarming romance to uplift us and "keep the faith" as Natasha said. Congrats on the award.

Janet said...

Huge congratulations on the award!!!

"So do you want the low points too is the question...Lots of discusion and thought."

Yes.

Donna Alward said...

Congrats on the award.

I could say remember your awards and all the readers that you make happy with your lovely stories, but sometimes even that is too big a thought when you are struggling...it doesn't help the words coming RIGHT NOW. Or give you an extra 8 hours sleep, or whatever. Sending you hugs. Big ones.

Michelle Willingham said...

Huge congrats on the RT award! You really are doing great. Hang in there. The words will come when you least expect them to.

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

I'm a big fan of the bottle of wine approach...where you keep drinking until everyone is laughing at how ridiculous life can be. There is actually a song about it...
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/leannrimes/goodfriendandaglassofwine.html

You should use it as your myspace song.

ANYWAZE...sometimes it flows, sometimes it drips...and if you are still thinking about writing then you need to read it again and LAUGH. A good giggle can get you through most things.

Ray-Anne said...

These wise and lovely ladies have said it all.
We are grown ups - most of the time - and we want to share our life -good and bad- with people we care about.
And Donna is spot on.
This is a wonderful award from RT and I do hope it gives you a real boost!

Michelle Styles said...

Congrats on your award Trish.
And you can not appreciate the sunny uplands, if you have not vistied the shadowed valley.
Blog what you wan to blog about. I enjoy reading your ramblings on whatever. And hugs on things being hard.
But as John Steinbeck said -- it never does get any easier. it is part of the tantalyzing mystery of the medium.
Oh my dd is now cantering.

sharon said...

we luv you trish!!!

xox

Nicola Marsh said...

Congrats, hun :)
We're all here for you.

limecello said...

Congratulations, Trish! That's such great news! :)

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

"I don't teach writing. I teach patience. Toughness. Stubbornness. The willingness to fail. I teach the life. The odd thing is most of the things that stop an inexperienced writer are so far from the truth as to be nearly beside the point. When you feel global doubt about your talent, that is your talent. People who have no talent don't have any doubt."

-Richard Bausch

Natalie Anderson said...

Congrats on the award Trish!!! I don't comment often but I lurk all the time and I love your honesty - the best thing about it is that I don't feel so alone - I have the most shocking doubts and hideous bad days and resort to googling 'writers coping with doubt' all the time! ;) And I'm nowhere as experienced as you are but it does seem to me that the more I 'achieve' the worse it gets. Having said that, the more addictive the whole thing has become too and the highs seem to get higher as well. So enjoy your latest with the RT award - so TOTALLY cool!!!!!
Best wishes,
~Nat

KatherineT said...

(((Trish))) .. Congrats on the RT Award! ... so well deserved!


and I hope this starts a trend for better days for you ... hang in there and know that there are many out here that are right behind you, cheering you on

(((hugs)))