Sunday, June 22, 2008

Then Along Came Adam...


So having struggled so badly with the book from hell you can understand how desperate I was for one that went a little more smoothly... and in the hopes of finding one I pulled out every trick in my bag...

Yes, I went LOOKING for the FAIRY DUST.

Now this is risky, cos fairy dust is an intangible. It's the one thing writers have no control over but we're ETERNALLY GRATEFUL for when it arrives! Trying to summon it on purpose was a bit like messing with the magic. But I HAD TO try SOMETHING.

So I looked back to books where the fairy dust had magically arrived before and tried to recreate what I'd done to help it along. With His Mistress: His Terms I collaged and went deep into background detail so this time I did the latter AND I went from collaging to story-boarding for the first time to up the ante. So instead of a single collage I had one for each scene. I'm a 'visual' writer so having little things to look at for each scene helped make it more real... I HOPED. And yes, I did another soundtrack... this one very very carefully selected with songs that had lyrics I could use and a real movie-like feel...

Then I thought about the fantasy/escapism element of it. Tried and true themes that have always fascinated me in both books and film. I really wanted something I could sink my teeth into and have FUN with. And while *casting* my hero I tripped over the theme of brothers, so I knew I wanted that to be a part of it too...

Once I had my hero pretty well nailed down I started to think about my heroine. (I've been finding these more and more difficult of late so I have to be careful with them.) I knew if I had brothers it would add to the problems if she was closer to one of them and got caught in the middle of an old feud. I knew if my hero was uber-sexy then adding a fairly inexperienced heroine would add to the conflict. I also knew that if he was a drifter and she was a homebody it would make things more difficult. So my heroine started to take shape...

Then it was time to look at setting. I knew I wanted this to be an American set book and family to stretch my wings some and get me out of any 'rut' I might have got into so originally I thought The Hamptons - rich, beautiful, close to New York which I already knew... Then again I thought fantasy land and fairy dust. The setting that gave me the most fairy dust in the past was the island in Bride Of The Emerald Isle so I started thinking islands. Closest island to The Hamptons? Martha's Vineyard. Google the Vineyard and not only did I get the kind of fantasy setting I'd been looking for I also got a glorious picture of a wooden walkway onto a beach.

Suddenly I could see my hero on that beach. In moonlight for some reason. And erm... skinny dipping...

How's THAT for an opening scene???

But once I had that scene in my head and everything else pretty firmly nailed down thanks to a brainstorming session with my buddies Donna Alward and Natasha Oakley online via MSN this book really started to take on a life of it's own. And finally... FINALLY... I started to remember what it is I LOVE about this job. Because the hero of this book my friends? OH-MY-GOD. I'm not kidding, he really does make Gabe look like a pussy cat.

I named him Adam because my third book had a hero called Adam and I really do think that book gave me my first taster of fairy dust. Not that I knew that or probably appreciated it enough at the time. But naming this hero Adam was possibly another way of searching for the magic - every trick, remember? And I knew when I did my short story for The Sun that I wasn't done with Jake so Adam is Jake's brother - his half-brother - the eldest son - and the black sheep of the family. Oh and just to keep things straight, this story is a prequel to the short story in The Sun...

From the second my heroine found a naked Adonis on the beach in the moonlight Adam Bryant had uber-sexy written all over him. He's an alpha hero with a capital A. He's smart and when I say smart he's S-M-A-R-T like genius level IQ smart; quoting the likes of Voltaire and Kerouac at seemingly random points in the conversation. I could just go on and on and on about how much I loved him by the end of this book, TRUST ME, but instead I'll give you a small taster of how very very sexy he is by directing you to a small excerpt of One Night With The Rebel Billionaire on my website (just click on the title)

I can tell you that the title is PERFECT for this book and that the main story happens inside a time frame of four days. Yup. Four days. Can two people fall in love inside four days and solve over a decades worth of family problems at the same time??? Ah now... that'd be telling...

But I CAN tell you that every single one of these pics is relevant to a scene in the book if that helps. Oh and that all the leather wrist bands and the ring you can see him wearing are also relevant to the story. And that Jensen Ackle's portrayal of Dean Winchester had quite an effect on some of the dialogue... Suffice it to say - my fairy dust was back. THANK HEAVENS!!!

5 comments:

Amy Addison said...

Oh, I'm so glad you found the fairy dust. Sometimes, you just have to go back to what you know works.

Good for you!

Karen said...

Hi Trish
I'm already in lust with Adam, he sounds gorgeous, can't wait for the book.

xx Karen

Natalie Anderson said...

Its a great excerpt Trish - and sure reads like you had fun with him!!! I'm looking forward to having fun with him too :)
Hooray for hotties huh?!

Ally Blake said...

Lovely, lovely, lovey, I could truly hear the fairy dust in your voice!

Any left over you can sprinkle around to the rest of us poor souls ;)?

Ally

Trish said...

Oh Amy - ME TOO!!!!!!! And you're absolutely right, sometimes it is just a case of looking back and tapping into some of the better times ;) Bit like life really... DEEP TRISH...

Karen? TRUST ME. Oh yes indeedy he is!!! I still miss him and he keeps trying to sneak portions of his character into this new WIP which is a Romance rather than a Modern Heat. NOT HELPING ADAM.

Hey Nat - yeah I really really did. Am hoping to have fun with him when the copy edits arrive too ;) Though if they don't arrive soon I may be blushing while reading them on a trans-atlantic flight...

Ally, you know I would sweetie. But now I've found it again I'm hanging onto it till my fingernails fall out. And you've just HAD a fairy dust book! Dont be GREEDY ;)