Friday, July 4, 2008

Another Fly By...


And if someone can PLEASE explain to me why it is I have so much fun booking my summer trips and then feel physically sick a few weeks before I go PLEASE DO! What's WITH that?!

So while I swallow herbal Kalms tablets by the handful, try telling myself that I DO have enough clothes for this trip and don't actually need to buy more while angsting over the difference in baggage allowance between International and Domestic flights at the same time (yes I do know the one kinda contradicts the other but I'm panicking OKAY) - oh and attempt to FORCE my muse to get actual words down before I step on a plane...

I thought I'd do another fly by so you all know I'm not dead...

Few things:

First up I'm over at The Pink Heart Society today extolling the virtues of the movie Stardust.

Secondly the Modern Heat authors are all discussing whether or not Alpha heroes can have a squooshy centre. Pop by the Sensational Romance site to add your two penneth worth... And on this subject I found a jolly useful site for your menfolk... feel free to send them to bookmark The Art Of Manliness A little window into Manly skills for you right there. My favourites include the art of the manly hug:

1. Begin with a traditional firm handshake

2. Keeping your hand clasped with your buddy, wrap the left arm around the shoulder of your friend.

3. Slap your friend’s back two times. The back slap is key. Somehow hitting your fellow man makes the hug more manly.

4. Release embrace.

And thirdly let's talk reading books BY EMAIL. Personally I think I'm quite tempted by this. A chapter at a time would fit into my chaotic lifestyle quite nicely. I'm already at the computer twelve odd hours a day so it's kinda landing it in my lap. Plus I think waiting for each new chapter might keep me chomping at the bit to see what happens next... Mind you, it doesn't help any to get me AWAY from the computer. And it does mean if I want the new chapter RIGHT NOW it might add to the number of Kalms tablets I'm already swallowing. A dilemma. Great.

And the reason I'm talking about this? Cos two of MY BOOKS are available that way! And one of them is my Booksellers Best Award Finalist Her Bedroom Surrender! It's AMAZING the things you can find when you Google your own name...

Here's the low-down from Publisher's Weekly:

The latest entrant in the growing ranks of companies offering book content via mobile devices is DailyLit, a new company formed by husband and wife Albert Wenger and Susan Danziger. Unlike other startups, such as Mobifusion and Moka, which aim to get information to consumers' cellphones, DailyLit is using e-mail and RSS feeds to deliver book installments that can be read in less than five minutes. Customers can receive a feed at the same time every day and can get additional feeds if they want to read more of the book at a particular time.

AHA. Well that solves the want it now problem then. They also say the chapters can be sent to a 'customer's device of choice, be it a PDA, Blackberry or other player'. I don't have any of those so email addy it would be for me but even so. I find this FASCINATING. The book market has changed SO MUCH since I first sold and I'm still pretty new to this game. Kinda makes me feel old...

So how do we feel about this method of reading??? Yes, no, you'd try it... YOU TELL ME. As an author naturally I'm gonna say any way that gets books read is a good one ;) If you want to try it then you can join DailyLit's site HERE and if you want my books they're below my Bio HERE.

Right. As you were. I've been doing a manic round of sending books off to reviewers as far apart as the USA, Denmark and Malta and booking lots of online things for August/September for the release of The Millionaire's Proposal (been a long time since I did a big online promo for a book so am a tad nervous, especially since this book is so special to me) and of course naturally the copy edits arrived for my last Modern Heat this week too so I REALLY MUST do some ACTUAL WRITING now. Where THE HECK has 2008 gone to??? I remember twelve months being MUCH LONGER than this!!!

2 comments:

Natasha Oakley said...

I reckon you probably DON'T have enough clothes for your trip. ggg All those websites your photo will be appearing on ... means you can't wear ANYTHING you wore last year. And, just in case I do win that RITA, you need a fab dress for the awards ceremony.

But you are allowed to be nervous. You are amazing going off on a research trip solo. I'm trying to screw up my courage to take myself off.

Trish Wylie said...

Yes the black and white top has been retired I'm afraid. I'm bereft! I LOVED that top!!! But NO. MUST-NOT-SHOP-FOR-MORE-CLOTHES!!! And I do have a fab dress for RITAS just NO WRAP to go with it. And of course now I'm thinking it's TOO posh. And wondering if I should have a back-up dress.

DAMMIT.