Monday, July 7, 2008

Seemed like a good idea at the time...


So the schools are out for the summer here. And that means I get to see more of my nieces and nephews before I fly away again. I kinda love that and the older ones are gradually coming out of the teenager from hell phase and into that period of their lives when they can hold a conversation without grunting. Niece number one turned EIGHTEEN at the weekend. I felt old. She had an all night fancy dress party to celebrate. Having briefly stuck my head round the corner I left feeling DECREPIT.

Then today my youngest nephew decided we should go cycling...

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I used to cycle. They SAY you never forget how. Both still hold true I've discovered. BUT...

Instead of looking or feeling like the picture top right, I was left feeling and probably looking exactly like the picture on the left. I managed a whole half hour. I didn't manage 50% of the hills we encountered. I apparently burned 600 calories. But I have a feeling that's the equivalent of the cake I had with my cup of tea before I went out. Now I thought kids were supposed to remind you of how it feels to be young. Instead I'm left wondering why the planet's energy problems can't be solved by utilizing ten year olds.

Doesn't bode well for my upcoming trip really. Suffice to say I won't be doing the cycling tour over the Golden Gate Bridge. Not if I can't manage some of our narrow little country roads here at home in Ireland. We're surrounded by roads like this one you see - perfect for cycling and horse riding and dog walking etc, etc. When it's not raining obviously ;)

If I can MOVE tomorrow I might try again. Maybe. We'll see. But NEVER have I been so aware of how much my change of career has effected my ability to MOVE. New writer beware!!! And anyone with small kids? RESPECT my friends. MAJOR RESPECT.

Now must pop out and get more cake for this evenings writing session...

14 comments:

Sue said...

Do you think some kind soul will invent an excercise powered PC/laptop... Then when inspiration hits, and we're letting the words flow we also lose weight...
Ah well back to the coffee and bikkies to think that one through!

Trish Wylie said...

See now I think thats a GENIUS idea!!! Mind you, wouldn't help any in times of procrastination...

Shall have coffee and CAKE while I join you in pondering that one ;)

Aideen said...

Hi Trish,

Funny post. And so true!!
Despite being kept on my toes and sometimes on all fours as I try to drag the baby out from every piece of furniture I own, my body weight never seemed to want to return to pre-pregnancy weight.
Once upon a time hubby and I used to exercise (no, not that way, we had some gym equipment lying around!) but most of our energy was used up moving said equipment from room to room, trying to find some secret place where the boys wouldn't break limbs trying to row, lift weights etc...
Now, you may wonder where I'm going with this but stick with me, its genius. Kind of. I decided to set the treadmill up in my writing room (the shed at the end of the garden) and promised myself that when the dreaded writer's block struck I would walk my frustration off.
Since May 1st I have lost 16 lbs in weight. Great for the body but I'm thinking that maybe the writings not so good if I'm spending so much time on the treadmill!
Anyway, just an idea, and for some reason it works. Rather than watch the LCD screen totting up calories burned, pulse rate and so on, I actually focus on my characters and usually something comes to me.
Now, if I could just give up the bloody cigarettes...

Aideen.

Donna Alward said...

Well, the nurse was just here having to do her insurance physical stuff...which included a measuring tape and scale.

Thankfully I did that a few weeks ago and already experienced a major decline because of it. Thanks to dog-walking and the pool, it has at least improved.

But I did love the blog. I gardened on Sunday. NIce easy task, right?

Except bending and pulling and straightening does odd things to your lower half. I was SO stiff yesterday!

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

And this is why I'm considering getting the kiddos a Wii...or I was until I learned the darned thing weighs you! It keeps track!

Trish Wylie said...

Oh Aideen I HEAR YA! I bought a stepper thing last year and it ended up being a right P.I.T.A. I constantly stubbed my toes off. So I moved it from room to room until I lost my temper with it and tossed it behind a radiator. I'm pretty sure it's STILL there. It certainly hasn't sent me a postcard from anywhere if it's not ;)

LOVE the walk out the block idea. But then don't you end up too tired to write ?!

Trish Wylie said...

Donna?!! NURSE. MEASURING TAPE. OMG it's like a STEPHEN KING MOVIE!!!

Somewhere in my dim and distant past I was a bit of a gardener. Used to love my garden and it's associated muscular aches and pains. But since moving to the wilds of the country we've kind left nature to it. God is our gardener ;) And the horses are our lawn mowers...

Trish Wylie said...

Oh Jenna don't talk to me about &**^%$ WII fit!!!! I've been STALKING ebay trying to get one of the damn things for nephews birthday since they're pretty much GOLD DUST in the shops right now!!! I LOVE THEM! Friends of mine have one and I spent one drunken evening on it proving I had balance while sozzled. Bit hit and miss frankly. But HILARIOUS. And the next three days I hurt in places I'd forgotten had muscles. I think they're FANTASTIC! I - WANT - ONE!!!

rayannelutenerblog said...

I have total sympathy - my Trek cylce has not seen daylight this year.

And sorry to tell you, some clever scientist has created the treadmill computer desk.
I kid you not.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6656631.stm

Have to think about that one...LOL :-)

Sue said...

Trish, I was in toy store in Dundalk on saturday (won't say the name in case that is against any policy, but think of most common UK surname), and they had a selection of Wii Fit.
I know its over the border for you, but I do believe they also sell online!
Personally I'm trying to get back to my original weight, 7lb 10 oz!

Trish Wylie said...

Ok. Ray-Anne TOO DARN FUNNY!!!

UNFORTUNATELY I don't think it'll fit in my house - which OBVIOUSLY is a DREADFUL SHAME. And at like £1000 I'm thinking it's not worth widening doors and rearranging furniture... BUT OMG too funny that someone has actually MADE ONE.

(You guys will notice there wasn't a follow up post to this one yesterday. I'll let you make up your own minds about how that boded for the second session shall I?)

Trish Wylie said...

Oooohhhh Sue! Bit far to travel possibly. But if they're available online its DEF worth a look see. THANK YOU! Ebay is making me crazy. £50 one minute and £9000 two seconds later!!! There's a part of me that wishes I hadn't mentioned it to youngest nephew to begin with. I could have bought a coupla games and a flipping card and been just as loved come the big day. Darnnit. No forward thought there Trish *palm against forehead several times*

Nicola Marsh said...

Not here. Revising. Procrastinating...
But with kinder kid on hols, bub into EVERYTHING and urgent revisions needing to be done, I'll take that respect.
I deserve it :)

Do some gentle stretches today. It'll help :)

Natasha Oakley said...

I TOLD you cycling was a mistake.

Let's look on the bright side. Maybe we are somewhat less fit than we were when we started this writing lark but we must have really toned fingers, yes?????????