Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Repossession Of My Life

Is gradually taking effect...

Having come back from the States with an all new flattening disease and fighting my way through the worst case of writer's block/absense of muse in my life I then progressed to a laptop that played up. Then it crashed. Then it DIED. With all my files inside it. One frantic dash to computer doctor later and we had the file we were working on while he tried to get the rest of my life onto a disc. I can pack a lot into two years apparently...

Now while still fighting muse and trying to finish book (that ended up three months late - yes, you read that right; not three days or three weeks - three MONTHS late) I got word my website had crashed. And keep in mind three months without finished book = three months without pay. I can't afford to replace laptop with a spare at this point...(anyone coming to tell me this job is easy does so at their own personal risk about now. I won't be held accountable for my actions. You've been WARNED) I tried pleading with nice computer man for website stuff - cos all my website files were in sick laptop you understand... I then missed renewal on crashed website and nice website provider naturally DELETED all my files - am now begging nice computer man. Nice computer man gives sick laptop brand shiny new hard-drive and begins reloading two years of files. Nope. Laptop not playing. Nice computer man very apologetic. Trish now ready to huddle in a corner, rocking and gibbering... Laptop officially DEAD. Fried motherboards are apparently bad things. Who knew?! I'll know when I'm suffering third degree burns on my legs again that the over-heating isn't just bad for ME...

Now keep in mind while all this is happening we're STILL trying to write a book. Do we feel my pain yet? This year my life has been a house of cards. This week I thought about where it all started to go wrong when the year had such a good start and held so much promise. Then I remembered the Christmas tree I didn't take down till - you know - Easter. Not playing with THAT karma again I tell ya!!!!!!

So. Book now gone. Short story for eharlequin online read gone. Proposal for new Modern Heat ready. And having spent two months begging, borrowing and stealing laptops to work on in erratic bursts what did Trish do? Well not only did she get a pretty good idea about what kind of laptops she HATES she went out and bought not one but TWO of the little suckers the millisecond she got paid. Next time I'LL BE READY.

Dear GOD don't let there BE a NEXT TIME.

To Lorraine P, Anna, Rachel, Melissa, Ray-Anne, Michelle, Donna, Natasha, Ally, Nicola, Barbara, Melissa, Rita and Marilyn who left comments of encouragement on my last post - THANK YOU!!! I would hug every one of you if I could!!! And to all the people who helped gentle me through the clouds with emails, phone calls and cards - honestly - you have NO IDEA what it has meant this last while when I seriously contemplated throwing in the towel and never writing another word again! And Jenny, my lovely editor, who isn't paid any extra for therapy sessions or for listening to writers who CRY down the phone to them - I LOVE YOU. NEVER LEAVE. EVER.

I'm gonna try and get back on track now. Website is back up, but not updated cos naturally new computers don't have the program I run it off. I'm not even gonna shed a tear over that. This year has taught me how much I can survive. But I will come back and talk to those of you who asked about surviving the dark, deep pit of despair I've been in writing wise, and how finally I'm feeling like the clouds are clearing and theres a hint of a rainbow on the horizon...

Hopefully I won't pass on the clouds...

25 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

Hooray for getting to the sunny uplands. Long may it continue.

I hope your horses are doing fine.

Aideen said...

Ah, Trish.

Had I known things were so bad for you I would have taken a train directly to your front door, where we could have drank pots of tea and eaten boxes of cakes. Of course, that might have been considered stalking so perhaps it's best that I've been clueless these past few months.
I'm really sorry that you've had such a hard time but...and there's always a but, right? But, you are finally reinstalling the punch that makes you who and what you are and that can only be a good thing. I'm very glad to see you back here and I'm sending you so many wishes of good luck that I've lost count.

And about your comment on the whole throwing the towel in? Ridiculous, you're far too stubborn I'd say.

All the best from Cork,
Aideen.

Liz Fielding said...

I'm glad you've hung on to sense of humour through the dark days, Trish, although I'm sure you thought you'd mislaid more than once.

Hooray for the sun. May it shine brightly on you, your multiple laptops and the bring you a fabulous New Year.

Kate Walker said...

Welcome back! I'm so glad to hear that those clouds are thinning. I hope the new laptops soon mean new stories - lots of them - and the sun continues to create beautiful rainbows. You're due some

Hugs

Kate

Rita's Write said...

Glad you are back. I just want to say one thing... Back-up everything. Flash drives make it so easy that way you don't lose everything you have been working on.

Rita

Natalie Anderson said...

So great to see you back Trish - thank heavens for rainbows.
I hope you have a fabulous festive season and shiny bright New Year.

Nicola Marsh said...

You've been sorely missed, hun.
May there be nothing but brilliant rainbows from here on in...

Donna Alward said...

Trish has been repo'd!

Thank God, by herself. And lol at therapeutic editors. Though the demand to never leave might have her changing her phone number and e-mail addy...

It's been WONDERFUL having you back especially as I suddenly seemed to have need of your advice and your sense of humour.

NEVER LEAVE. EVER. LOL

Hugs and ditto on the flash drive!

Sri Pammi said...

Hi Trish,


I'm usually a lurker at your blog, but had to show myself and say welcome back.

Katie_S said...

Glad to see you're back Trish! Missed your blogging.
cheers
Katie

Lorraine P said...

I'm really glad you're back up and running and I'm sorry to hear about the computer nightmare...

As well as flash drives there are also remote (cloud) back up options which are great because then even if you were to lose the laptop and flash drive in a freak accident everything would still be backed up in cyberspace!

I hope things continue to get better from here.

juliemt said...

Lovely to see you back, Trish! We've missed you!

Trish Milburn said...

Trish, all these computer woes make me want to give you a hug. The horror of losing all that material -- shudder.

Joanne Cleary said...

Welcome back to your life Trish!! Glad to see the clouds have backed away and the sunshine is on it's way back.

Anonymous said...

Dear Trish,
You don't know me, but i am a huge fan! You just have the most amazing way of creating such a rich and full story, whilst injecting the added romance. I think you are one of the best romance authors i have ever read.
I was so sorry to hear of your troubles and so very glad that you have decided to continue. I have caught up with all of your titles and now wait for when you release your new titles! Please keep it up!

Anna Adams said...

Yay, Trish! I'm so glad you're back--and recovering from your troubles. I hope the words are flowing!

Janet said...

You've been missed! I guessed that you were either rushing to meet your deadlines or even writer's block -- but assumed (maybe wrongly that you wouldn't want any interruptions.)
So glad you're getting back on track.

Janet Ch.

Claire Baxter said...

Welcome back from those tough times, Trish. I hope it's all so much better from now on.

I once cooked a motherboard too.

Claire

melissablue13 said...

YAY! Trish is back. I was soooo worried. *thought the ms and Ireland had eaten you alive.* Glad to see you back. Much love and hugs from me.

Ally Blake said...

Trish!!!!!!!!! Welcome back. so ncie to have you here, 'cause you are like a sunny day for the rest of us!!!

Now while we're talking back-ups ;), Ihave an 8GB USB that I back my recent stuff onto EVERY day. It has saved me on so many occasions I've bene known to get up in the middle of the night and back up if I've forgotten.

And they're sooooo cheap!!!

Now enjoy your new laptop, i always find when they are shiny and new I write so much better on them, hope you feel the same.

Hugs and love

Ally

Sue said...

Trish, welcome back.
I'm so glad that you haven't thrown in the towl, as an aspiring (or despairing) writer I've visited your blog often to read your hints and tips, and always found something that I would never have considered.
As for the laptops, don't forget next full moon to sacrifice a floppy disk to the great techy gods...
Mind you, missing files, gammy laptops, makes a good way of hero meeting heroin... she is an contractor working on x project... Hmmm, let me go off and grab a pen.

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks Michelle - and thankfully they're all fine this year - so far. All tucked up in their stables with nice new rugs and new shoes and pretty soon new haircuts ;) Send my love to DD and tell her I hope she's still enjoying the horses!

Awww Aideen - I'd have taken that tea and those cakes! You're one of my absolute favourite potential stalkers my friend! And yes, I am stubborn - thank god! Cos that towel? It was swung back and forth in preparation for being thrown A LOT...

Thanks Liz! I'm hoping for more bright days too. And I'm planning on CELEBRATING THEM MORE when they get here ;) I don't think we do that anywhere near enough, do we?

Hello my darling, darling Kate!!! I miss you and the BM soooooooo much!!! Wine drinking evenings muchly needed I tell you! Fingers crossed on the new laptop and new stories. Time will tell my friend. I'm trying to figure out how to type with my fingers crossed :)

Rita, you're SO RIGHT. And I do back up, just not anywhere near as much as I should do. Have bought an external hard drive and several new data pens so hopefully will get better at it after this experience. Unfortunately the resolution to regularly back up is a bit like January diets to me... I start out with the best intentions and then...

Hi Nat and THANK YOU my sweet! May you have the loveliest Christmas with your little ones too!!!!

Hi Nic hun - THANK YOU! It's good to be back I tell ya! Have missed you guys and hopefully we can get a five minute catch up by IM soon ;)

Donna? You know I wuv oo. *hugs* Looking forwards to DC my precious one :)

Hi Pammi and WELCOME!!!!! Thank you SO MUCH for the welcome back! Can't say what it means to know people actually noticed I'd gone ;)

Hi Katie and THANK YOU! Can't guarantee 'normal service' but then I always was borderline on the whole 'normal' thing to begin with so time will tell...

Hi Lorraine and THANK YOU. Yes am looking into online backing up at the mo. Am also emailing my WIP to myself at regular intervals just in case. This technology stuff is s'posed to work for ME, right?

Hi Julie honey and THANK YOU! Good to BE back!!!

Hi Trish - fellow SV FAN! ;) Yes it is definitely shudder worthy. Writer BEWARE as the saying goes ;)

Hi Joanne! And THANK YOU! Fingers crossed!!!

Anonymous THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! What a lovely, lovely LOVELY thing to say! I could HUG YOU! Am going to print off your comment and keep it where I can read it on dark days.

Hi Anna and THANK YOU sweetheart! Sooooooo good to be back and so far so good on the words front. Am not saying more than that in case I tempt fate...

Hi Janet and THANK YOU hun!!! It was a horrible, horrible experience. But hopefully everything is back on track now. Just clearing the decks and doing some catching up and then will drop you a line ;)

Hi Claire and THANK YOU! Good to know I'm not the only one who can kill a laptop :)

Hey Melissa!!! HUGE SQUOODGY HUGS my darlin!!! Am doing a few soul cleansing blogs and hopefully have learned from the experience. I HOPE.

Hi back Ally!!!!! Yes, but hun you're ORGANIZED. It's a personality quirk I'm sorely lacking in. But theoretically we learn from our mistakes, right???

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!! ALL THE COMMENTS MEAN SO SO MUCH!!!

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Sue!!!! Oooohhhh if you just got a story outta this then that's something positive!!!

Good to hear from you hun!

Trenda said...

Trish,

Thank you for being so honest about your struggles. I have long been a fan of your books and always will be! Your blog is one of my favorite places to visit, as you come across as such a real and easy to love kind of gal. As someone who has spent a lifetime longing for the sunlight during dark times of the soul and mind, it means the world to hear someone else share their experiences. Thanks for the reminder to celebrate the sunny days!

Wishing you the best of New Year's!

Trenda

Alex said...

Dear Trish
After leaving my 'Anonymous' comment last year, I've realised that i can leave my name! You are most welcome for the comment...and now I'm totally star struck!!!!!
I have just read "One night with the Rebel Billionaire" and it was fantastic as always. I'm moving on to Manhattan Boss, Diamond Proposal...can't wait! I hope you have a great 2009, I see you have started on a new book (or at least are in the planning stages). Good luck :)
p.s still think you're the best in the business...you breath such life into your stories..looking forward to the new book. A :)