Sunday, February 8, 2009

Joining Fellow Authors in Saying: SNOW


Just thought I'd sympathize with fellow authors in the UK who blogged about snow last week. Up until now we'd had the white stuff, but not to the same extent as some places. *insert laughter* Cos we're catching up now... and my poor horses who got a nice haircut and tidy up to make them all pretty yesterday, are now snuggled under huge duvet-like layers of rugs and tucked safely in their stables with large hay nets for the foreseeable...

Not that the white stuff isn't very pretty, as you can see from these pics that I've just taken.

But when you live in the middle of nowhere, you suddenly get kinda... well... stranded. I had a chat with a good friend (hello helpful little fairy!) who came to clip my snorsies yesterday and we were talking about how tough it must have been in the 'olden days' for people who lived in isolated communities in Ireland in this kind of weather. It can't have been easy. No internet, no phones, neighbors who lived a nine mile donkey trek away. REALLY can't have been easy. And they wouldn't have recognized things like S.A.D. and depression in those days. So when we complain about being stuck in the snow now, when we do have internet, phones, central heating, etc (though my gas froze last night so no cup of tea until this morning - BOO! - Natasha Oakley would HATE IT where I live ;)) we're really not as badly off as we might think we are...

It IS pretty though, huh?

And for Michelle's DD and for Mona who emailed to ask about my horsies, here are a couple of pics of Charlie with his new haircut all wrapped up in his layers of winter jammies and brand new bedsocks ;) May I just say he wasn't cooperative about having his picture taken... or his dinner interrupted...

8 comments:

Nina in Ohio said...

Trish,

Living in Northeast Ohio, I can share your dilemma with snow. We've had the second snowiest January on record - it is pretty but I'm pretty sick of it myself - thank goodness we are having a thaw this week and most of it is going away! My daughter would be jealous of your pretty horses!

PS - Picked up and whizzed through Manhattan Boss, Diamond Proposal and loved it! I loved Quinn (that's the name of the hero in my WIP) and after going through the Writing Tips in your forum, I am spotting a lot of the writer's tips you've been talking about. My only question is, why did they make Clare a brunette on the cover of the book?

Michelle Styles said...

My dd wants to know if Charlie has a speckly gray bum.
She thinks he is darlining and is quite taken with the bedsocks as well as being insanely jealous.

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Nina!

Yes, we're having the worst winter in yonks here. And from what the weather reports are saying, we're not done yet... *vbg to your daughter's jealousy* I wuv all my four legged babies ;)

SO GLAD you enjoyed Manhattan Boss. Isn't Quinn yummy? And PHEW to spotting a lot of the tips!!! Good to know I can 'practice' what I 'preach'. As to the colour of Clare's hair on the cover - I have NO IDEA. But apart from that it's a pretty great cover. I LOVE the city lights in the background and the way the skyline carries on to the back cover with the American editions. :)

Trish Wylie said...

Hi Michelle!

You can tell DD that Charlie has JUST THIS YEAR begun to show a slight freckling on his rather large gray bum... It's one of the very few signs of his age. I believe he started life as a steel gray and then went gray, gray by the time he was Showjumping at Young Riders level at Dublin Horse Show as a four/five year old. When he's had a bath - or several baths and an argument or two with his mommy as is the usual tradition - he really does shine white, white, white. But as with all grays he knows exactly where the muddiest patch is in every single field he's ever put into and is down and rolling in that patch within a matter of minutes after the gate is closed. I always say he's 'also available in white'.

He IS a darling. 99% of the time. He's also incredibly intelligent and a cheeky great lump when he wants to be. I'm kinda loving his new bedsocks. They're thermatex - which DD may understand - and Sandy Paws brought him a matching cooler and exercise sheet of the same material for Christmas (made to measure and in our colours no less!) I tell ya, he has more accessories than a My Little Pony...

Kate Walker said...

Does Charlie know that he had a a hoof-on part in my last book? (The Greek Billionaire one)

I hope it doesn't go to his newly hair cutted head

Kate

Natasha Oakley said...

You know I might be able to cope with wine of an evening but if there wasn't any hot water for my morning cuppa I'd be struggling!

Trish Wylie said...

Kate does indeed know and he's exceedingly proud of that fact!!! He says if you need autographs he can dip his hoof in a tub of ink for you... but he thinks you may need a larger cover... ;)

And believe me his head is large enough already! But he was a very good boy on his hack yesterday and didn't kill his mommy so he's in the good books about now :)

Trish Wylie said...

Hot water back on Natasha so tea crisis is temporarily over ;) I'll put the kettle on shall I???