Monday, April 20, 2009

Life Lessons Galore In This Years Britains Got Talent...

Anyone else watching Britain's Got Talent? I'll admit I'm a sucker for shows like this. Pop Idol, X Factor, choosing Joseph and Maria for West End Stage productions - I'm there for them all. Yup, me and millions of others. But Britain's Got Talent can sometimes be hit and miss for me. Maybe there's a little too much weird amongst the wonderful. There are times when I end up cringing for people. But MAN is it worth it for the good ones. This year we're only a couple of weeks into the audition shows and already the stand-out acts have been bringing hilarity, cheers of encouragement and - several times - a dropped jaw. But it's more than that. Maybe it's because of the recession everyone is suffering through across the globe, that seeing people take a chance and reaching for the golden ring is the kind of story of hope we can all get behind. Life can get in the way of dreams sometimes. Sometimes we get disillusioned. Sometimes we doubt we can do it. Sometimes it's just easier to quit. Britain's Got Talent, for all it's cringe worthy moments, shows everyday people get up in front of an audience - and not a particularly KIND audience at times - and going for it. I kinda love that. So I thought I'd bring you a small selection of the best so far this year to peruse over your coffee.

First up, 'cos Riverdance is so close to my wee Irish heart and because I love to laugh, we have what is my favourite comedy dance act in a very, VERY long time. I tell ya, this made me literally laugh out loud! Plus seeing the close bond between a father and his son was just wonderful. I LOVE that kind of thing!!! So, I give you the Greek equivalent of Riverdance's Michael Flatley in the form of... Stavros Flatley... And can I just say? THIS is MUCH CLOSER to the way the vast majority of Irish people would do Riverdance if asked...

You can watch it HERE.

Then we have dance group Flawless, who show us what hard work, talent and dedication can result in. Can't tell you how much I wish I had even HALF their energy! What I love about them apart from how amazing they are to watch and how skilled they were at putting it together? That this is a group of guys who get together and do this because they LOVE IT. And I tell ya, it shows! There's a certain joy to that, that's hard not to benefit from as a viewer...

You can watch them HERE.

Now you can't watch Britain's Got Talent without talking about the singers. I sense this year we might have so many talented ones to choose from as the show approaches the final, it's gonna make for must see viewing and a serious dilemma in my house about who to vote for! Course, I'm a sucker for the kids. Who isn't I ask you?! Shaheen Jarargholi showed us that even with talent, we don't always get it right first time out. But given a second chance...

You can watch him HERE.

And of course we can't leave out the world-wide phenomenon that is Susan Boyle!!! Proof positive a book can NEVER be judged by it's cover and that we should never give up on our dreams, no matter what life tosses in the way to make us think they can never come true. It's gonna take something beyond amazing to beat this woman in the final!

You can watch her HERE.

So that's my selection of favs so far from this years crop. Thank goodness for YouTube and the facilty to skip the cringe-worthy stuff! Now if I could just take the feel good factor from Britain's Got Talent and put it to good use in my creativity. Mind you - that would involve real life getting the heck outta the way so I can REDISCOVER my creativity... darn it...

1 comment:

Aideen said...

Morning Trish,

I'm addicted to BGT, American Idol, in fact I'm addicted to anything that lets me watch Simon C. I know, admitting that is a dangerous move but I don't care cos I love him. He's quite the alpha if you give yourself time to get to know him. Anyway, I love all these acts that you've posted but for me it has to be Shaheen. I honestly didn't think I'd put anyone in front of Susan Boyle but this adorable young boy has completely tripped my heart. His voice is simply amazing and already I know I'd buy a CD by him in a flash. And how could I not love the dimples? He's too cute, he is going to be an absolute heart breaker when he grows up.

Loved the dancing acts too, especially Flawless. Because isn't that what they were? Susan made me cry without even realising it and I cheered her on in my own sitting room. But for me it's Shaheen all the way.

I give up my social life every weekend to watch BGT! Then I give it up again when X Factor hits the screen. Yeah, completely addicted.

All the best,
Aideen.