Thursday, June 18, 2009

Ahhhhh Memories...


Yes. Am still doing the great clear out in an effort to get myself office space. Apparently drooling over nice office furniture, chairs and bookcases online doesn't count as clear up time...

Anyhoo. While clearing up, guess what I just found? I found copies of the submission for my first book along with the synopsis, accompanying letter and revisions letters from the editor. How cool is that? I'm glad I kept them. And they make for interesting reading. Now... shall I post little snippets from them even though they were a whole – good grief – seven years ago?! They'd probably make more sense to folks who have read the book. I guess what I could do is take a passage from the original manuscript and post it alongside a passage from the finished book – that might highlight the differences. Do I want to embarrass myself by posting the synopsis? Hmmm... Anyone who knows me knows I've never made a secret of the fact I suck at synopses. Always have. Always will. The letter I sent with it is funny though. Let me know what you'd find interesting and I'll see what I can do. How does that sound?


Meanwhile the great clear-out continues, real life keeps testing me but I finally feel like writing again. Am planning on seeing what I can do with the mess I'd left behind with the latest MS and taking it from there. If real life will just give me a break for a few days that is...


Oh, and I bought chickens. Ten of them. Am now getting ten lovely free range eggs a day. This weekend we let them loose from the run we've had them in until they settled in and met the dogs/cats and the dogs/cats met them. Am hoping I still have ten come Saturday night. Fingers crossed.


Annndddd last but not least, The Millionaire's Proposal took second place in the Traditional Category of the Wisconsin branch of the RWA's Write Touch Award. Thanks to everyone who sent me congrats via Twitter! I'm rapidly becoming a bit of a Tweet Deck addict and it's nice to be able to share a quick line or two about what I'm up to when I'm pushed for time, especially when I have good news! This book also finalled in the Golden Quill Awards and I'm really glad people have enjoyed it. It was a fun one to write and I got to indulge in some fantasy travel destinations from my 'list'. Yes, I do have a list. Doesn't everyone???


Okay. Back to work. Shall post pics of the office furniture I decide on in the end. But to order it, I need a room to put it in, don't I? Do wish Daisy the cat wouldn't keep curling up on the bed, making me feel guilty about changing the room from a spare bedroom that never gets used to an office I may well end up living in... But I have to draw the line at keeping a room for a cat, right? Right?! Say yes!

9 comments:

Trenda Plunkett said...

Ooh, yes, Trish, do post that original letter and a bit from the manuscript...maybe the first page of the ms and the first page of the final? That would be fun to see!

Congrats on the recognitions for The Millionaire's Proposal! So deserved, my dear!

Hugs!

xxTrenda

Janet said...

"Let me know what you'd find interesting and I'll see what I can do."
I'd find the revisions letter interesting. And also pictures of your new office (as it changes from empty bedroom to writing den.)
Oh, and more on the chickens. Your animals all seem to have weird personalities. Any signs of any quirkiness in the chickens?

Congrats on The Millionaire's Proposal placings. (I love that book.)

Nicola Marsh said...

Congrats, hun! I enjoyed that book so much :)

Michelle Styles said...

The dogs and cats will leave the chickens alone. Chickens can stick up for themselves. certainly we have never had any difficulties. The cats tried stalking when we got the hens, and rapidly leanrt that large birds do have beaks and flock together.
Hooray on your awards.

Jenna Bayley-Burke said...

Have you found shallow shelves? I keep finding ones meant for hardbacks I guess, and I'd like slim paperback versions...you know, when I actually find a house.

Trish Wylie said...

Thanks Trenda :) I'll see what I can do about the letter, etc in my next blog...

Hi Janet honey! Okily dokily. Erm, before and after pics? O-o-o-kay... leave that one with me *looks around at general disaster area and cringes* Glad you love TMP - Ronan's a bit special, isn't he?

Thanks Nic, my darling one! Been following the word count progress of your online story via Tweet Deck and am SUPREMELY JEALOUS! Hope you're feeling better babe!!!

Why had I forgotten you keep chickens Michelle??? I actually think the chickens have been more of a novelty in the run than they will be when we let them loose. Only dog I'm at all worried about is my mother's miniature Jack Russell. He can be a brat. Has a tendency to run up to horses and bark up at them when they're in the stables too. So am really hoping my girls put him in his place. One question? I have four chooks that refuse to go into their house at night (they try to sleep in the doorway and on the ramp and I have to lift them in) - any tips??? They're very tame so maybe I just need to keep lifting them in till they get the message. They're still quite young...

Aha Jenna! I now have a tip for that! Nursery furniture. You look for baby bookcases or kids bookcases and they're narrower. I ordered a deep one though, cos some of my research books are quite big.

Lacey Devlin said...

Please, please, PLEASE post your original QL and Synopsis :) I'll be your best friend... lol!

I love that you just added on the end there oh and I bought some chickens... lol! As you do! Ten is an interesting number, I'd love to have chickens.

Congrats on your placings for The Millionaire's Proposal!!

Nina in Ohio said...

Congrats on the honors for The Millionaire's Proposal - loved Ronan! And yes, we'd love to see snippets of your first proposal and ms stuff!!

Trish Wylie said...

Hello Lacey my new best friend ;) But REALLY, they're NOT that exciting OR particularly good for that matter. QL is up now, synopsis in next day or so. And I think EVERYONE should buy chickens. My girls are WONDERFUL. They could just do with being slightly less in love with me. I know I'm the one with the food and everything, but I really have to draw the line at them coming into the house to see me...

Thanks Nina! I loved him too ;) And the wish of my blog buddies is my command...