Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What To Do When You're NOT At Nationals...

The Interweb is alive with Conference talk. Twitter, Blogs, Facebook - there's no escaping the authors, editors, agents and soon-to-be-published's who have been preparing for weeks and are now full of updates about the friends they've met up with and the things to come. Which is great - I've been there and I know what a great time they're all having - but what do you do if you're NOT at Nationals, or able to attend a conference this summer? Answer: You have your own version of one...

So, I thought I'd toss a few things out there for us all to do while we're NOT at Nationals. Over the next few days I'll blog some of the ongoing workshop I've been doing based on the 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes and I'm inviting YOU to join in with Blogs and Tweets of your own for everyone stuck at home. At Nationals the talks and panels are nicely arranged into categories: Career, Craft, Research, Chat, etc ~ so it doesn't matter what stage of your career you're at/whether or not you're published ~ it's all about the SHARING of INFORMATION. And we all know how great romance writers are when it comes to that, right?

If you're an AUTHOR ~ How about a blog based on research or things you've learned along the way or writing or - well, you get the picture... Just let me know you've posted the blog and I'll post a link on that day for people to find it. Old or new - it doesn't matter - because some people may be new to the online community or may have missed the blog/article when it was first posted.

If you're NOT-YET-PUBLISHED ~ How about sharing some of the things you've learned along the way, the things you'd most like answers to, best online or real-life workshops you've attended, some of the resources you've found most useful... Just let me know you've posted the blog and I'll post a link on that day for people to find it, or email me your blog to post here and I'll post it for you. None of us are ever at the same point of the journey at the same time and the experiences you've had could prove invaluable for someone just starting out or struggling with the exact same problem you had!

Naturally if you're an EDITOR or an AGENT then I'd LOVE to have you join in with something on your own blog or website or here! Just let me know and I'll add it to the day's link of posts. Same if you're running an online workshop or doing something for folks who aren't at Nationals. It's completely open to EVERYONE and I'm completely open to suggestions, so if you've got an idea let me know!

And to make sure we all feel part of the RWA National Conference experience while we're at home, I thought we could (loosely) follow the Schedule For Nationals.

Wednesday is the day everyone registers and settles in, Librarians get together and at the end of the day - kicking off the conference in style - there's the Literacy Autographing. Apart from the fun of seeing so many authors all gathered together in the one (HUGE!!!) room and getting autographed copies of books from some of our favourite authors, it's also a great opportunity (along with the Goodie Room) to discover authors we might not have read before. So here's my idea for those of us not there:

BOOK SWAP. Let's see if we can discover some new authors to try out - for the price of a postage stamp. Just have a look through your collection of books, see what you'd be prepared to part with, and with a list of the title/s or author/s of the book/s, add your name and country to the comments (to keep the postage low for those who prefer not to post internationally) and pick from one of the other comments to pair up and swap books. I'll leave it to you to contact each other for addresses, etc and there is no guarantee this will work but hey, it's worth a try, right?

Thursday is the day the workshops start, so I'll post the first of mine then and add any links that come my way. I haven't forgotten about my promised synopsis of my forst book either, so I'll blog it at some point in the next few days too.

You can check out what is available to attendees at Nationals here with details of the hand-outs they'll be given for those talks here and remember, once the conference is over, it's possible to order CD's of ALL the talks online, and from conferences past so you can soak in some of the wealth of information shared there. Meanwhile, to get us started, here are a couple of links you might find interesting for your at home version of a conference:

Blogging National ~ Here you can follow what's happening at Nationals, with links to other bloggers.

The Not Going To Conference, Conference ~ Run by the amazing gals at Romance Divas, this is an annual event with heaps of advice and goodies! It's free and easy to sign up for too...

Got a link you want to share? Let me know in the comments!

2 comments:

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Book Swap from Marilyn Shoemaker (USA)

The Tycoon's Son by Cindy Kirk

The Billionaire's Bidding by Barbara Dunlop

Silent Night Sanctuary by Rita Herron

Then you Hide by Roxanne St.Claire

Marcy said...

Great idea. Can't wait, Trish!